Official Site Update

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
jeff

Unread postby jeff » 13 Feb 2011, 16:36

@rdeford

We agree completely in our hopes for H-6. :)
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

rdeford
Assassin
Assassin

Official Site Update

Unread postby rdeford » 13 Feb 2011, 18:58

@ ThunderTitan

Wait for review? Wait for a demo? Wise, but not for me. I've purchased H2 through H5 the moment they came out. These days, the turn-based strategy genre needs all the help it can get. Sometimes the next game after a disappointing one is great. Look at Two Worlds II as an example of what I mean. So, yes, I will blindly support Ubi since, love them or hate them, they are currently carrying the MM ball.
rdeford, Mage Of Soquim

“Forgiving and being forgiven, loving and being loved,
living and letting live, is the simple basis for it all."

Ernest Holmes 1984

jeff

Re: Official Site Update

Unread postby jeff » 14 Feb 2011, 00:30

rdeford wrote:So, yes, I will blindly support Ubi since, love them or hate them, they are currently carrying the MM ball.
And this is the dangerous path we walk. Do we continue to buy a game we hate giving the company the incentive to continue down that path despite our complaints which I did with HOF. Or do we refuse to buy it as I did with Tribes and hope they don't discontinue the series. It is one reason I distrust UBI, as they have put me on that path.
Last edited by Anonymous on 14 Feb 2011, 22:53, edited 1 time in total.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 14 Feb 2011, 10:31

That is a good point, actually. I mean, have you seen the PC game shelves lately? If the store still has one, it's pretty darn small these days. :(

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 14 Feb 2011, 10:34

The only positive things about H6 so far is that the developers are addressing some most obvious shortcomings of H5. Luckily editor is one of these, although beside one blurry screenshot and no-LUA there is no actual information about the improvements in editor. However, in released info about the game itself there are many indicators that the devs. do not fully get what made Homm, and H3 in particular, a success. Considering that they improve some aspects each game, i'd have to agree with ThunderTitan that is takes several more incarnations before the game comes to the level it once had.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 14 Feb 2011, 11:25

jeff wrote:
ThunderTitan wrote:I don't know... if we actually get a good heroes game by #9 it would at least be something...
So you're saying we have to suffer through 6, 7 and 8! 8|
Why yes, i am being uncharacteristically optimistic as of late...

rdeford wrote:Wise, but not for me. I've purchased H2 through H5 the moment they came out. These days, the turn-based strategy genre needs all the help it can get. Sometimes the next game after a disappointing one is great.
Yes, and i'm sure when they see sales and decide that all the changes you dislike are fine and they become standard and totally warp the genre (i'm looking at you shooter wannabe Mass Effect winning best RPG) into something else that's at best a hybrid.

There's no danger of Ubi going under, and buying the final expansion's gold edition (which hopefully will have more stuff the fans demand like TotE did) will still support the brand while sending a better message about how listening to the fans = better sales...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

klaymen
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby klaymen » 14 Feb 2011, 13:49

rdeford wrote:These days, the turn-based strategy genre needs all the help it can get.
Help the genre by buying any crap comes out so more other crap can come out?
You, dear sir, deserve a fu*king medal.
rdeford wrote:So, yes, I will blindly support Ubi since, love them or hate them, they are currently carrying the MM ball.
See above. Also, nothing's worse than blind supporters. Ubi has to deserve our support by making quality games, not get it by default, "just because it happens to own our beloved franchise".
"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance."
-Ahzek Ahriman

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 14 Feb 2011, 16:20

Pitsu wrote: i'd have to agree with ThunderTitan that is takes several more incarnations before the game comes to the level it once had.
we'll never hear the end of it.... ;)

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 14 Feb 2011, 17:45

klaymen wrote:
rdeford wrote:These days, the turn-based strategy genre needs all the help it can get.
Help the genre by buying any crap comes out so more other crap can come out?
You, dear sir, deserve a fu*king medal.
Overreacting much?
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

rdeford
Assassin
Assassin

Official Site Update

Unread postby rdeford » 14 Feb 2011, 21:36

Hummm... So we have more than one strategy for saving the TB strategy genre. Sort of appropriate I'd say.

@ jeff -- "dangerous path we walk." You bet it is. And I cannot begin to list all the misgivings I had way back when I first heard that UbiSoft was going to be carrying the HOMM ball. I didn't trust Ubi then, and I trust them less now. I'd like to give you credit jeff, you got me thinking...

First, regarding H4, I'd like to clarify my feelings. While I was disappointed with the game, I must hasten to add that H4 was not all that bad, really. It was obviously intended to be a new game, not just H3 with more bells and whistles. And, I enjoyed seeing those new aspects in H4, like the way the there was no longer upgraded creature classes but branching build trees in the castle, and the way heroes could take part in the battles, and a new magic system, and roving creature bands without heroes, moving guards, etc.

Second, I would hope that Ubi does a comparable effort with H6. I may be wrong, but I don't think any of us wants H6 to be merely H5 with more bells and whistles.
Edited on Tue, Feb 15 2011, 10:30 by rdeford
rdeford, Mage Of Soquim

“Forgiving and being forgiven, loving and being loved,
living and letting live, is the simple basis for it all."

Ernest Holmes 1984

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 14 Feb 2011, 21:46

To me, they have already blown it. The units are all about the same and every town has the same number of unit types; boooo!

I would have loved to see the Stronghold with maybe 3 units; lots of orcs and goblins and one other; but huge numbers of each type.

The "humans" could have about 4 infantry, archers, some type of elite unit and cavaliers.

Undead could have skeletons and zombie as core and then vampires and liches as the 2 others.

anyway, yadda yadda...

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 17 Feb 2011, 11:25

Coz that's gonna be easy to balance...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Return to “News”