Stronghold Revealed

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 20 Dec 2010, 20:22

jeff wrote:I will miss the wizards (please go back to the H-III or H-IV wizard/order and not that H-V abomination)
How come you disliked it so much? I thought the faction was as interesting if not more so than the previous wizard factions. What made the gameplay of the HoMMV wizard more interesting for me was the double casting ability (mark of the wizard) and the racial skill that allowed you to forge creature artifacts. Was it the faction's portrayal that bothered you? I didn't care for the creatures' appearance at first, but I got used to the somewhat crass oversized art style.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 20 Dec 2010, 22:40

Metathron wrote: I didn't care for the creatures' appearance at first, but I got used to the somewhat crass oversized art style.
This is what I meant, the graphics for that faction for me sucked. They were escapees from the tales of the Arabian Knights. As far as their abilities I can't say. After finishing HOF I put H-V away and never returned to it. In fact Tribes was the first MM/HoMM product since MM2/HoMM 1 I failed to buy.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Re: Stronghold Revealed

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 21 Dec 2010, 15:29

Hey look, it's a harpy playing a flute.... kinda like a siren would...

Really, looking at modern labels is the wrong way to go....
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

grendel99
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Stronghold Revealed

Unread postby grendel99 » 21 Dec 2010, 17:19

Ya, it appears the harpy images I was going on were from Medieval times up to 18th century...You win this battle Thunder! *shakes fist*

I think the art direction they took is more believable as a real creature, which may be why the more modern pictures are more similar. I love the jungle terrain as well, just makes it more adventurous and gives it an otherworldly feel.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 21 Dec 2010, 18:28

Well i wouldn't bet that the harpies weren't mixed/confused with the sirens before medieval times, it's just that the original descriptions from the Odyssey and the Argonautica where like that... and that most greek art has been wrongly labeled when it comes to the two back in the victorian age or whenever most modern labels come from (a lot of that has been recently rectified however).

It's like the chinese dragon... it's not really a dragon, just a similar creature that's been called a dragon because that word was more familiar to the people of the western colonial powers.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Stronghold Revealed

Unread postby hellegennes » 22 Dec 2010, 05:07

Harpies and sirens were first got mixed in antiquity (a few centuries after Homer). Of course neither description implied a winged Pre-colombian-American woman.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 22 Dec 2010, 20:47

That also has demon blood... don't forget that one.

ArkanGiest
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Stronghold Revealed

Unread postby ArkanGiest » 18 Jan 2011, 08:02

I would prefer a Star Wars race.

Lord13
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Lord13 » 21 Jan 2011, 13:14

This artwork is great. but imo far from the old Heroes spirit
(as was 5 also). I prefed mostly the more fairy-tale artwork
of HoMM 2+3. Anyway, still good artwork.
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...
Only heroes live forever!

Return to “News”