Ubisoft Officially Announces Heroes VI!

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 24 Aug 2010, 19:10

@Orfinn
And what about Elemental: War of Magic?
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Re: Ubisoft Officially Announces Heroes VI!

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 24 Aug 2010, 19:37

Orfinn wrote:Ruining franchises with. DMR, DLC milking, IDIOTIC small and big changes to gameplay and never broken features. Which greedy monkey are in charge of each of the dreaded publishers departments? Activision, Ubisoft, EA, Disney Entertainment.
Based on this part of your post and your avatar, I believe that you've played Mass Effect 2 :D

Elemental: War of Magic uses Impulse::Reactor, so it should be awesome. I'm not sure if it was released already, though, it seems that it should be today.

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 24 Aug 2010, 20:01

The only problem I have with the official statement is the part where it says the game will contain "all the characters and features that have made this brand a worldwide success."

I don't know about the rest of you, but assuming you can consider Heroes to be a worldwide success, it definitely wasn't Nival's characters and features that put Heroes on the map.
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 24 Aug 2010, 20:26

CloudRiderX wrote:The only problem I have with the official statement is the part where it says the game will contain "all the characters and features that have made this brand a worldwide success."

I don't know about the rest of you, but assuming you can consider Heroes to be a worldwide success, it definitely wasn't Nival's characters and features that put Heroes on the map.
So what's the concern, that they might use their characters which would suck but it would be predictable. Or they realize they screwed up and bring back the old guys and gals, which would be insightful but unlikely.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 24 Aug 2010, 20:46

I'm optimistic actually, since it's a prequel and everything. Characters named Solmyr, Sandro and Crag Hack already exist in Ashan, so maybe there's a chance that it's to be taken literally and these heroes will indeed return in some form.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Aug 2010, 07:37

So they're gonna use all the H3 characters and features then i take it.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Lord_Haart
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Lord_Haart » 26 Aug 2010, 03:55

I hope so. Lord Haart is thirsting for revenge!

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 26 Aug 2010, 07:59

Lord Haart is retired, spending all his estates' income in the local pub :D

Good to see you're here again ;)
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 26 Aug 2010, 14:10

@GreatEmerald

"Based on this part of your post and your avatar, I believe that you've played Mass Effect 2 :D"

Indeed I have, and I admit I have brought quite a few DLC for that game. And THERE you see how easly persuaded we get by the developers and their publishers, EA in ME case. I want and dont want it at the same time.

Advertisment are a real doubtcracker, even if it sounds lame. We buy DLC because of several reason, collection fetish, loyality to the game and its developers or just buying it to make sure they make enough money to make another "great" DLC.

To be short, I MISS really great expansions!

rdeford
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby rdeford » 26 Aug 2010, 15:39

I don't think we have enough to go on to be making all these definitive statements about H6. A few comments based on what we actually know:

Agreed: The name should be Heroes of Might and Magic 6

Agreed: I have not seen any evidence of close cooperation with fans.

Agreed: I will buy the game and give it a try.

NOTE: I didn't see any mention of a map editor. A GOOD map editor will make or break this game. Or, maybe that's what they meant by being able to post content. Hopefully, they are not going to scrap the map editor in favor of DLC revenue.
rdeford, Mage Of Soquim

“Forgiving and being forgiven, loving and being loved,
living and letting live, is the simple basis for it all."

Ernest Holmes 1984

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 26 Aug 2010, 15:48

Hi, rdeford. About the editor check the third post in this topic. Nothing very solid, but some hope.

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 26 Aug 2010, 23:40

While its too early to say anything definitively, it looks like the concept art is moving towards something more realistic while keeping the units intact.

The only thing I'm hoping for right now is that what happened to Disciples doesn't happen to Heroes.

Anyone play Disciples III lately? I couldn't stand it. It was just a worse version of the second game with amazing graphics. They took a unique game and made it linear and took out the iconic features. If H6 is just the H5 core with a new shell, then its over for this series. Setting it up as a prequel can be really limiting, so I hope BHE knows what they're doing.
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

rdeford
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby rdeford » 27 Aug 2010, 01:19

@ Pitsu: Good to see you again.

Thanks for that link. Yes, it does look hopeful for the editor. As long as they don't simplify the interface and capability to the point where we cannot do anything really meaningful with it. And, let's hope that they have enough sense NOT to invalidate existing maps when they add capability with patches.

I am excited.
rdeford, Mage Of Soquim

“Forgiving and being forgiven, loving and being loved,
living and letting live, is the simple basis for it all."

Ernest Holmes 1984

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 27 Aug 2010, 20:21

rdeford wrote:Yes, it does look hopeful for the editor. As long as they don't simplify the interface and capability to the point where we cannot do anything really meaningful with it. And, let's hope that they have enough sense NOT to invalidate existing maps when they add capability with patches.
I am excited.
Let us hope they have a user friendly interface like H-IV but with a lot of the capability of the H5 editor. I would say all of the capability but I suspect the editor would end up being too hard to use at least for me. Also let's have a more realistic campaign capability which in H5 made no sense.
CloudRiderX wrote:If H6 is just the H5 core with a new shell, then its over for this series. Setting it up as a prequel can be really limiting, so I hope BHE knows what they're doing.
Well for me if there is a smell of H5 the series will be over.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

krs
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby krs » 17 Sep 2010, 21:15

Besides the battle field, looks like a cheap KB clone. Does anyone know if at least they keep the awesome skill system from H5? And is initiative gone forever? Or still debatable? Because with some minor touches, to make it less complicated, that could have been a superb idea.

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 18 Sep 2010, 13:26

krs wrote:Besides the battle field, looks like a cheap KB clone. Does anyone know if at least they keep the awesome skill system from H5? And is initiative gone forever? Or still debatable? Because with some minor touches, to make it less complicated, that could have been a superb idea.
The specifics of the skill system has not been given (I think), but they have said that there will be no randomness- i.e. you don't have to rely on luck to get the skill(s) you want. Whether this is a point-based system (like so many other games) or like old Heroes games (like they use in heroes kingdoms) has yet to be named.

Initiative will not be as in H5, but still exists. It sounds like it will be similar to H4, where all units go once per round, but action speed and movement speed are separate stats.
Matthew Charlap -353 HoMM map reviews and counting...

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 20 Sep 2010, 11:34

krs wrote:Besides the battle field, looks like a cheap KB clone.
Someone needs to get their eyes checked... i take it H5 was your first homm game.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Artas1984
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Artas1984 » 25 Sep 2010, 19:37

Ubisoft? Thank's but no thank's, not even for free..

I will stick with H2, H3 and even with H4...
Heroes franchise was not about the free actions of Heroes or monsters, it was not about 3D of shiny graphics either, it was about diversity and balance, simplicity of gameplay and realistic picture, strategy in it's purest form. That's why Heroes 3 will be the greatest game of all, because only Heroes 3 has all those qualities together, no matter which one you personally like more. This statement is unquestionable, uncriticized and undeniable .

Roman
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Roman » 01 Oct 2010, 14:21

Is there any information yet on what DRM will be used on Heroes of Might and Magic 6? I have bought and enjoyed HOMM 5 and TotE a lot, but I outright refuse to purchase games that use online-based DRM systems, due to the artificial obsolescence they have built-in (once the company retires the servers, goes bankrupt, etc. the game artificially and automatically becomes obsolescent). Ubisoft has become well-known for imposing a particularly draconian onlin DRM system and I essentially stopped following its games once it became clear they didn't plan to remove it in the near future.

I have only now heard of the announcement of HOMM 6 (since I wasn't paying attention to the company's games anymore) and am wondering if Ubisoft has changed policy on this matter or announced what DRM will be on HOMM 6. If it has changed, I will take more time to learn about the game to see if it seems like an improvement on HOMM 5, but if online DRM remains, there is no point to me trying to learn about and follow the game, since I won't be buying it anyway. So does anybody have any information on this matter? Thanks!

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 02 Oct 2010, 18:24

We don't know yet...

But i heard R.U.S.E. (another Ubi game) went with Steam instead of their DRM...

Return to “News”