A Retirement... For Now

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

A Retirement... For Now

Unread postby Psychobabble » 10 Mar 2006, 21:20

Well approximately three and a half years, 126 reviews, 50,000 words and well over 1000 playing hours later I've decided to stop writing Heroes IV Map Reviews. I was going to finish with a review of Charles Watkins's ambitious Lost Crusade but a map bug prevented me from finishing it, then a nasty system meltdown stopped me from studying it in the map editor and then a complete re-format followed by me being unable to locate my Heroes IV CDs means I can no longer play the game anyway. So, enough is enough and so that's no more Heroes IV map reviews from me.
I've had a blast playing these custom maps - they're vastly better than the ~100 CD scenarios I wasted my time playing! - so a huge thanks to the map-making community which has provided me with such entertaining fodder for my reviews. Even the bad maps were fun because they gave me a chance to vent every so often! Thanks, also, to map-maker's for being mostly tolerant of me dissecting their babies and sorry to those whose noses I put out of joint or whose creations I never got around to playing/reviewing.
I've said previously that I'd like to continue reviewing when Heroes V comes out but quite frankly I'm flat broke and I'm really not sure I'll fork out AU$100 for the game. We'll see when the time comes, but until then, I'm taking off my map reviewer hat.
Cya round the forums!

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
http://www.celestialheavens.com/viewpag ... 1142025655

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

A Retirement... For Now

Unread postby Akul » 10 Mar 2006, 21:43

Thats shame. I really liked you reviews (yes, even the one you gave to my map).

Hope I'll see new reviews from you in future. Until then, good luck and I hope you'll solve your money problems.
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

Fnord
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

A Retirement... For Now

Unread postby Fnord » 10 Mar 2006, 21:49

If you still have your H3 CDs, want to try something a little different, and feel so inclined, there's a lot of WoG maps that could use a review. :)

Or even if you don't feel like reviewing them, if you haven't played much WoG, you might like to give it a go as a change of pace.
- Fnord

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

A Retirement... For Now

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 10 Mar 2006, 21:54

Hopefully once you find your CDs and get over the frustration of everything that happened you'll decide to review again...
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Re: A Retirement... For Now

Unread postby Psychobabble » 10 Mar 2006, 22:03

Sauron wrote:Until then, good luck and I hope you'll solve your money problems.
Heh, that's just a product of both me and my wife being full time students (and the govt' changing its rules on paying her money, so she now don't get any)... problems will be solved at the end of the year when we both graduate :).

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

A Retirement... For Now

Unread postby HodgePodge » 10 Mar 2006, 23:08

Oh, Psychobabble thank you for all your reviews and efforts. I hope your "Map Picks" will still be available at CH and that you'll find your Heroes IV CD's.

P.S. WoG is really great too. :-D
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Re: A Retirement... For Now

Unread postby Psychobabble » 10 Mar 2006, 23:17

HodgePodge wrote:Oh, Psychobabble thank you for all your reviews and efforts. I hope your "Map Picks" will still be available at CH and that you'll find your Heroes IV CD's.
Thanks and no content will be removed.
P.S. WoG is really great too. :-D
I may go back to H3 but I doubt it. We'll see.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 11 Mar 2006, 10:43

PB- I cleaned up your news item on the forums. Don't think it should affect how it appears on the CH site, but I was tired of having link long enough to make the page scroll in there...
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 11 Mar 2006, 14:03

All Hail PsychoBabble!! :hail: It's been a wonderful time and an achievement to enter the history books of Celestial Heavens, though we have been growing accustomed to less review activity lately as PB has found out what it's like to have a real life. By the way, how's the wife?

About reviews, I can do some sporadic appearances. I plan on reviewing Scarlet's campaign once it's finished (but don't tell her that).
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

A Retirement... For Now

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 11 Mar 2006, 14:44

Good luck to you Psychobabble. I can feel your pain about the money woes being a law student myself. It gets better after graduation...at least that's what I'm told. ;-) Thanks for all the good reviews.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

HellSpawn
Peasant
Peasant

A Retirement... For Now

Unread postby HellSpawn » 12 Mar 2006, 17:24

I wish the best for you and your wife PB.

I can understand the money issue..I had to sell my best computer and settle for a less effecient one just to make ends meet.

Hopefully you simply just boxed up your HOMM4 CD's somewhere and just forgot where you put them.

As for all of us in our money woes, I await for the dawn.
Holding on is easier, then letting go.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 13 Mar 2006, 11:05

Ill miss you Psychobabble.Most of the maps I downloaded,I played just because you gave them a good mark.Now Ill have to evaluate maps on my own :(

Hope youll return though.

cherko
Pixie
Pixie

A Retirement... For Now

Unread postby cherko » 13 Mar 2006, 17:39

A shame. Who's gonna write reviews now? Doesn't any of your friends have the new "Complete" edition which doesn't require any CD after you've installed it?
I'm back!!!

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

A Retirement... For Now

Unread postby Orfinn » 14 Mar 2006, 06:44

To bad you have to leave us for now, hope we will see you again. And good luck with the study and all ;D

Return to “News”