Heroes VI Status?

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 17 Apr 2010, 10:22

Umm winds of war sucked.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 17 Apr 2010, 15:04

Elvin wrote:Umm winds of war sucked.
If H5 did have one thing over the previous games it is that it's expansions did add substantial content to the game...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Dragon Angel
Peasant
Peasant

Heroes VI Status?

Unread postby Dragon Angel » 17 Apr 2010, 19:27

No longer in the lime light? AFAIK, they are milking Clash of Heroes quite a bit still: I was surprised today when I found during a kid's program a commercial for collectible Clash of Heroes plastic figurines (mix of figurine game, trading card game and collectible stickers...).

I was more surprised because I do not recall having heard of that here... and, even if it can be considered 'bad' news is relevant: Ubi is taking the brand to a greater scope than even (even if that means selling the series soul... that's right). Heck, the only thing left is a Clash of Heroes TV cartoon... and who knows if they aren't already preparing that!
Don't be fooled by the title -- Dragons can disguise as peasants, too

Ryder
Assassin
Assassin

Heroes VI Status?

Unread postby Ryder » 19 Apr 2010, 00:41

Maybe so y but the fights are very similar and in that alone KB craps all over Heroes. As you know in Heroes if one of your units had 2 movement points, if they only moved one their turn was over, I never realised how stupid that was until I played KB. It would be fantastic if Ubi got Katauri to do H6 (and MM10).

I will be buying Heroes 6 no matter what, I need to keep the collection going. If it is good enough to drag me away from KB only time will tell.

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Heroes VI Status?

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 20 Apr 2010, 02:02

That's a good point. I loved many aspects of King's Bounty - it really brought a lot to the TBS table. If Katauri did Heroes VI, I would most likely cast my doubts aside and expect something really good.
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Re: Heroes VI Status?

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 20 Apr 2010, 10:05

Ryder wrote:>>>Maybe so y but the fights are very similar and in that alone KB craps all over Heroes. As you know in Heroes if one of your units had 2 movement points, if they only moved one their turn was over, I never realised how stupid that was until I played KB.<<<
That would likely make ranged units OP... and nerfing them would impact their usefulness as it is now. Maybe if they didn't use all their mevement in one turn they'd get their next turn faster or something like that instead.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Alamar
Golem
Golem

Heroes VI Status?

Unread postby Alamar » 22 Apr 2010, 17:50

I'm glad that HoMM isn't dead but I'm also not wildly excited either. Basically I was so disappointed in the initial release of the last version I'll likely just wait until the patches & expansions that "fix everything" come out then pick up the bundle.

Note: If the AI review comes back as bad, inept, annoying, whatever then I may pass out of principle. The only way to get better products is not buy ones that don't give you the features you want.

Roman
Pixie
Pixie

Heroes VI Status?

Unread postby Roman » 22 Apr 2010, 21:18

No matter how good HOMM 6 is going to be, even if it is made by Katauri Interactive, which really did a great job with King's Bounty, I am not going to buy it because of the extreme DDRM imposed by Ubisoft. Perhaps Ubisoft will drop the insane DDRM system by the time HOMM VI is ready for release, but as things stand now, it is an automatic "no buy".

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Re: Heroes VI Status?

Unread postby parcaleste » 23 Apr 2010, 13:03

Ryder wrote:Maybe so y but the fights are very similar and in that alone KB craps all over Heroes. As you know in Heroes if one of your units had 2 movement points, if they only moved one their turn was over, I never realised how stupid that was until I played KB. It would be fantastic if Ubi got Katauri to do H6 (and MM10)...
Good point, but don't forget that KB have H3 tuns based battles, while with the initative and the ATB bar in H5 we talk about totally different tactics. It will be turned into a mess. ;)

HellSpawn
Peasant
Peasant

Heroes VI Status?

Unread postby HellSpawn » 30 Apr 2010, 04:50

I'm not saying for certain, but I'm afraid that Heroes VI will be an mmo rpg.....God forbid.
Holding on is easier, then letting go.

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 07 May 2010, 21:04

Hmm, let's just wait. Perhaps miracles do exist...
Grah!

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 08 May 2010, 19:22

Let's see: Ubisoft discarded old MM universe, forced players to use their non-userfriendy DRM, re-released their games with much higher prices then in other (e-)shops...
I don't really think that any miracle will happened when Ubisoft is involved.

Allaryia
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Heroes VI Status?

Unread postby Allaryia » 19 Jun 2010, 15:34

Heroes series have been fantastic, excepting some of the games. Though, Heroes 6 would be great to have.

If they are thinking on making an MMO with it or even an MMORPG, it's not a bad ideia but it better be with good graphics, nice features and totally free (the crisis won't let it anyways...).

I'm a bit excited and anxious about H6 but still guessing what they are thinking of doing.

H5 was my first game of choice... H6 better be my second lol.

LocutusBorg
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby LocutusBorg » 21 Jun 2010, 11:19

IMHO Ubisoft destroyed this beautiful game... H5 wasn't so good (H3 is 1000% better), scenario sucks... With H6 would be the same thing probably.
And sin #1: they left original unverse, with Ancients and Kreegan. Younglings nowadays do not know who was who and why there is as...

Poor younglings. They do not have many good games nowadays... And if they have something, well, close to be a good game... BANG! A DRM is coming too :ill:

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 21 Jun 2010, 12:16

Or the replay value sucks mayor balls...
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 23 Jun 2010, 09:09

Replay value of H5 is higher than H3, a lot more layers of complexity and possible strategies. As long as you play online that is..
- Metathron

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 23 Jun 2010, 14:13

Well Elvin, you might be right, but...

The greatness of a game is not due to complexity or possibilities but due to the impact and success it has over the community and players. When Heroes 3 came out, suddenly 10k players registered in TOH and more than 100 games were played and reported every day. Heroes 5 is still shared between a very little number of players.

The impossibility to play huge maps in H5 without continuous lagging badly penalized the creativity of mapmakers. Without doubt it is a great game, but still did not conquer the fan's heart to become a legend. Myself I am a very dedicated fan to Heroes series but could never adapt to the 2 last ones, while I tried hard.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 23 Jun 2010, 20:18

Technical issues aside that are very valid the community was not fragmented back then as it is now. Few had issue with the transition from H2 to H3 and it was mostly regarded as an overall improvement.

Fast forward to current date. There are H3, H4 and H5 fans each desiring different features. Hard to please everyone, heck even the H5 team are very divided on what approach they'd rather the series take.

Also we cannot overlook that the game wasn't even made by the same developer. Style was obviously different and a necessary evolution over the old one that we had learnt to love. Such a transition is not always painless.
- Metathron

Shad0WeN
Pixie
Pixie

Heroes VI Status?

Unread postby Shad0WeN » 24 Jun 2010, 17:38

I been playing HoMM since Heroes 2 and I like H5 overall, but here are some things I didn't like:

1. Terrible voice acting & cut scenes (honestly, the old scripted story boxes were a lot more interesting)

2. Uneven difficulty from map to map (on Heroic for example, one map might be relatively easy while the next was frustratingly difficult)

3. I like the 3D graphics but the game engine suffers from slowdown when there is too much going on, even with my super beefy machine that should completely annihilate it. I also edited the range of motion of the camera to extend it, so that might have a little to do with it, but still it shouldn't be an issue.

4. It seems to me like it takes too long and too many levels to develop your Hero's skills/abilities/perks. I like the idea of the whole skillwheel and everything but it just takes forever to fully develop your hero. I was thinking that maybe I would have made it so that when you level up you pick both a secondary skill & associated perk at the same time (for example Logistics w/ Pathfinding), so it requires less levels to develop a hero. Then if necessary you can increase the experience needed for the levels somewhat if it makes sense.
Edited on Thu, Jun 24 2010, 13:40 by Shad0WeN

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 24 Jun 2010, 23:44

My dislike of H-V has been stated far too often, and the fact is it has been so long since a game I truly liked has been made I may be done with gaming. I think UBI's handling of the MM universe reminds one of the French football team. Their ego is too big, their play is chaotic, willing to blame everyone but themself, and now with their DRM one really is rooting for them to fail. Then hopefully someone else will come to the rescue.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Return to “News”