UbiSoft Online Controversy

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 17 Feb 2010, 22:11

A lovely accusation, but if you take the time to reread through these comments, "you people" haven't mentioned NWC or 3DO once. This is all about Ubi.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Re: UbiSoft Online Controversy

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 17 Feb 2010, 23:51

Dave_Jame wrote:>Tahy made 4 good games and you people just can't say a bad word over them.<
It's hard to say a bad word about a good game.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 18 Feb 2010, 01:45

Some tests have been run and d/cs don't pause the game as Ubi's Q&A suggested. Hello main menu!
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Queen Hera
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Queen Hera » 18 Feb 2010, 09:38

Can we get a petition going to send to these morons..... Where can I sign?

Score:- Minus another 1 potential buyer

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 18 Feb 2010, 15:07

Your wishes have been heard :)

A petition for Ubi to reconsider has begun in the Escapist, here is the link.

Clicky.
- Metathron

junnexgolem
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby junnexgolem » 18 Feb 2010, 15:09

adding a big requirement WILL surely decrease the sales. if they want money, they will have to listen. well, for those like me who are not into this policy, we'll just have to get their attention

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 18 Feb 2010, 15:54

junnexgolem wrote: if they want money, they will have to listen.
While their backpedal on Starforce is a hopeful sign, UBI has a bad history of not listening to their fans, and this seems especially true about MM fans. Who can forget Fabrice's :gun: words about the H-V editor "We didn't know fans were unhappy" paraphased as I can't remember his exact words, but you get the idea.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

C_Guy
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby C_Guy » 18 Feb 2010, 18:30

Very well written article. I doubt you will find anyone more against piracy than I am however that doesn't mean I am willing to give up any of my rights. I will bakup my own software as it is my right. I will also install it and play it without constraint and without an Internet connection, as that is my right. If Ubi wants to tell me I can't then that's fine. I can take my money elsewhere.

However I am confused as to the comments that Ubisoft is "just in this for the money". Of course they are. So was NWC/3D0. Any business exists solely to make money. And the Heroes franchise is one way to do that. Now, if it was in the hands of a company that understood the Heroes culture and legacy a bit better they could do a better job, please more fans and make more money. But that's how business works - customers "vote" with their wallet. So I will vote "NO" to required Internet play by not buying it.

And yes, 3D0 had copy protection but it was designed to stop casual copying and was easily defeated. The mechanisms didn't really infringe on the customer's rights.

berntie
Scout
Scout

Rip-off

Unread postby berntie » 18 Feb 2010, 23:17

This is just one more proof that the gaming industry is doomed. As is the music and movie industry. And the sooner those companies go out of business the better.

Blueman
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Blueman » 19 Feb 2010, 10:06

I'll give up games if this is going to be the general gaming industry strategy. I'll start something more fun, like knitting...

ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 19 Feb 2010, 12:27

>Can we get a petition going to send to these morons..... Where can I sign?

Score:- Minus another 1 potential buyer

I don't think petitions are ever useful... other than as a symbolic gesture to fool the disaffected parties into believing they are actually doing something.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 19 Feb 2010, 12:33

Ubi interview with pc gamer.

They are basically repeating their FAQ and telling us they don't care what we think.
- Metathron

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 19 Feb 2010, 13:32

I'm fairly confident that decimated sales will bring our point home. In the past few days hundreds have already sworn off Ubisoft products.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 19 Feb 2010, 13:43

Which naturally covers numerous brands and canceled preorders..
- Metathron

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 19 Feb 2010, 15:34

This is one reason people go to pirating games. That way, you have no bull$hit like this. When they work this out, there will most likely be cracked versions. Everything can be hacked, so this one as well. What happened to DRM when they launched it? I believe that downloading the product through illegal ways way even more populair than before...
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 19 Feb 2010, 16:03

1st rule should always be that piracy should never make the game less of a hassle to install/run then the version you buy in the store.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 20 Feb 2010, 15:11

long time long see. Hi again =)

This is just not acceptable. Imagine you're in a FPS or RTS match and you're getting booted to the lobby if your internet connection screws up for a moment. Imagine if this was the standard in StarCraft II beta....OMG the ****storm that would ensue!

I definetly support registering the game before being able to use it though since efficient protection is needed.

People like Kalah that don't want to connect their computer to the internet are strange IMO. Get a friggin firewall!

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 20 Feb 2010, 16:16

If you have several computers, and mainly play single player games on one of them, you shouldn't NEED an internet connection.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 20 Feb 2010, 19:17

Campaigner wrote:This is just not acceptable. Imagine you're in a FPS or RTS match and you're getting booted to the lobby if your internet connection screws up for a moment. Imagine if this was the standard in StarCraft II beta....OMG the ****storm that would ensue!

People like Kalah that don't want to connect their computer to the internet are strange IMO. Get a friggin firewall!
Objection! Heroes of Might and magic games are neither FPS nor RTS, they're turn-based. And why go though all the hassle to get the connection to the second computer, if it works well, is faster and more secure without one?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 21 Feb 2010, 00:22

Beig a TBS makes it worse, as there really isn't any reason to get booted back to the lobby if the net connection screws up for a moment or even 2 or 3 moments.

Return to “News”