Changes in the M&M Brand Name?

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
O_RenyRen
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby O_RenyRen » 20 Oct 2009, 04:43

This is a silly change. I could understand if they wanted to streamline the names better, but this is already well streamlined. The word Heroes being before M&M does not hide the connection between the two games. On the other hand, having HOMMVI as MMHVI will place the two games next to each other alphabetically (assuming they're not being categorized by genre) which may slightly increase sales because new people might see the connection because the games are side by side. And anyone who already plays and doesn't know of the change will ask someone who works at the store where HOMMVI is and if the person who works there is smart, they'll figure it out and point them in the right direction. I still think it's a silly change and in the grand scheme of things won't change anything at all. But worse things have happened.

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 20 Oct 2009, 10:38

[What! Might and Magic is an RPG series! That's a very, very bad idea! What gives, Ubisoft not only wants to destroy the story of the NWC continuity, but also make chaos in names so nobody would ever remember the RPGs! That's evil! :mad:]

I seriously doubt that they care about it. The old generations will not forget about old M&M RPG's and the many from newer generations won't care about them with or without Ubisoft's help.
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 20 Oct 2009, 11:38

M&M: Heroes 6 sounds stupid. They need to fire their marketing guys. It's never a good idea to confuse people with stupid name changes, just ask Shaz... i mean Cpt Marvel, though that isn't their fault i guess.

Way easier to just keep the order but have the M&M part encased in something like the pic in the OP.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Re: Changes in the M&M Brand Name?

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 20 Oct 2009, 17:48

Akul wrote:<...> the many from newer generations won't care about them with or without Ubisoft's help.
With our help, they could care. Even if you look at the projects like MMX and MMT, they have a generic naming scheme, and that could eventually cause confusion.
Though the point that it will stick out of other HOMM games is a good one... I agree with TT, if it's just floating around somewhere, it won't cause too much confusion - the name would look like "(Might and Magic) Heroes VI", which does make sense.

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 20 Oct 2009, 23:08

What comes next? I wonder if we shall see the cunning marketing guys doing their best to persuade the Board to rename the company as "Soft: Ubi"
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

vicheron
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby vicheron » 21 Oct 2009, 12:08

This might not be a bad thing. It could mean that they're consolidating the brand. The fact that they're putting the franchise under the "Might and Magic" name suggests that they may be planning to put out several games under the name.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Re: Changes in the M&M Brand Name?

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 21 Oct 2009, 13:23

vicheron wrote:This might not be a bad thing. It could mean that they're consolidating the brand. The fact that they're putting the franchise under the "Might and Magic" name suggests that they may be planning to put out several games under the name.
They already have... Clash of Heroes. But if it's not RPG, it shouldn't have just Might and Magic in the front anyway.

Loco Blutaxt
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Loco Blutaxt » 21 Oct 2009, 15:01

On the one side: 14 years of HoMM-history.
On the other side: A marketig guy whispering evil words in the ears of SOFT:UBI (very nice name!) management.

Another point: What about the licenses? Would it be possible for e.g. JVC to re-animate the HoMM brand name when SOFT:UBI changes the name? :-D
If you're a German speaking fanboy of the Heroes series also visit Drachenwald

Ryder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Ryder » 21 Oct 2009, 21:30

I've played MM1 to MM9, inc Swords. I've played Kings Bounty to Heroes 5. I've played Crusaders, I've played Legends, I've played Dark Messiah and personally, I dont give a flying feck that they've changed it. Some of you people need to lighten up, it's a name, you probably all call it Heroes 3 or Heroes 5 anyway, so who cares where Might and Magic is in the title. As long as the next Heroes game is better than the last (which shouldnt be hard) then surely that's all that matters.

shinyjam
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby shinyjam » 21 Oct 2009, 22:09

Agree with above, the only slight problem it cause is the need for extra explanation of the brand to new players. Then again, Crusaders, Legends, Messian, etc. mixing in and out, it's complicated as it is.

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 22 Oct 2009, 03:51

I must say, reformatting the name seems to be a bad decision, not because its inherently bad, but because it just doesn't need to be - if its not broken don't fix it. At least from our perspective it seems that way. So I can only assume that Ubi has something in mind for the series that would account for the name reformatting that we are not aware of.

Either that or Ubi is putting a spin on the series that would help people better associate Heroes of Might and Magic with Ubi, instead of 3DO. The only other reason I could think of would be maybe to try and hide behind the Might and Magic title itself, which has a signficant amount of credibility and renown among RPG's. It could be any combination of these ideas, too.
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

astral76minor
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby astral76minor » 23 Oct 2009, 01:38

Ubi is simply doing what they have to do. My only fear is that TBS will become a thing of the past. Monetary gain is important, though the heritage and traditions of our most cherished games is monumental. What is in a name? Then again, a picture says a thousand words.... It is content and context which matters the most.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 23 Oct 2009, 11:30

Hmm, I just understood that it means that we'll have to say MMH6 instead of HoMM6 now. That would help in making it clear that the universe is different from other HoMM games, so at least it's not all bad.

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 23 Oct 2009, 15:26

Surely if the real plan was to establish a new brand with Ashan they'd have followed through and actually done it from the start with Heroes V...

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 23 Oct 2009, 17:22

Maybe the understood how different it was only after all the complaints. And you can see that they are now trying to change HoMM5 (MMH5?) that way as well.

hobowu
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby hobowu » 24 Oct 2009, 00:10

Corlagon wrote:Surely if the real plan was to establish a new brand with Ashan they'd have followed through and actually done it from the start with Heroes V...
They probably didn't do it with H5 since they wanted to pull more customers in (from the H3 and H4 players).

What they've done is to establish a new brand but use old names (marketing strategies :P) --> they did the same thing with dark messiah (which only carried the MM tag to attract players)

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 26 Oct 2009, 15:04

Yeah, that's a good point. It would likely have been a huge turnoff for most veteran players if the first thing Ubi did was change the format of the title before even working on the game.

I guess it shows less bravado that they change it after they've cranked out a game. Almost like they think they've earned it, the basterds. :)
Edited on Mon, Oct 26 2009, 11:05 by CloudRiderX
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

Return to “News”