Ubisoft Looking for RPG Developer

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Deadguy118
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Deadguy118 » 17 Jul 2009, 19:59

Salamandre wrote:
Deadguy118 wrote: You know, you just pinpointed why I dislike most custom WoG maps (and WoG in general). Because it tries to turn Heroes into things that it isn't. If I wanted actual RPG modules for an actual RPG, I would play Neverwinter Nights.
Can you give please a few examples? I see many people criticizing WoG but after evidence it shows up they either played random maps (very bad idea) or they just extrapolate based on prejudges and ignorance.

WoG is a tool. It turns Heroes in what exactly you want to. When you refuse progress and creativity for a 10 years old game, then maybe it is time for you to move on, not keep defending old values.

You know who are criticizing WoG the most atm? The players from world tournaments. Yes, those players who invented custom templates, where you start in a close area, build your main (always Tazar/Crag Hack/Ivor/mephala) up to level 30, then broke guards and have a big fight, using exclusively mass slow, haste and shield. 3 spells out from 50.

And they do and repeat this 15 times a day. HoMM is certainly not that. So...

Any way, I am very enthusiast about possible RPG project from UBI. I am huge fan of M&M series and I will certainly enjoy the same thing in Heroes.

I still wait the examples from where you conclude WoG spoil HoMM.
Alright then, I'll play to your little game. Using the example of the campaigns that come with WoG, it turns the game into weird trial and error scenarios where you constantly have to reload because you did something wrong.

Maybe some people think that's great, but Heroes is a Turn-Based Strategy game first, and trying to shove in clunky RPG or Puzzle elements, though novel, can be done better elsewhere. It's the same problem I have with a lot of Warcraft III and Neverwinter Nights custom scenarios.

Sure, you could try to make the game into a RPG or Minigame collection or whatever, but at best it's still just a mediocre imitation of real RPGs and Minigame collections. And that is why I not reinstalled WoG. Feel free to disagree (because you are), but these maps don't expand what heroes is, they expand it into weird directions that have nothing to do with the core game. That is a form of "progress and creativity" that I could care less about.
Back from the dead? Maybe.

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 17 Jul 2009, 21:24

Playing the 2001 made campaigns is like having an opinion after playing the first Catherine original campaign. They were done by scripters, not by HoMM players, and they are overloaded with unnecessary things. The custom maps recently done raise the game to another level, never seen before.

You are perfectly right, other games can supply a better RPG, Heroes can only simulate it. But here comes where we are different. I am hardcore fan and I want Heroes to be complete, even if it takes me years to make it while you will just play another game.

And about what is really the core of Heroes, remember those quests in the campaigns which ask to have leadership to get an artefact? Those seer huts who ask you to bring x to get y? What seems to you wrong to improve this, adding more elements, personality and uniques features? In what disturbs people that instead of a random hut, we have a NPC who talk to you, has a layout according to the area he is located, and can give more than one standard answer? For me, this is raising the game to a higher level, without changing the mechanics.

RPG means role playing and it is compatible with a turn based game. Why would not be?
Deadguy118 wrote:That is a form of "progress and creativity" that I could care less about.
I would like to see what actually people who are endlessly bashing bring in to balance their statements. Do they created something for Heroes? Maps, campaigns, analysis? One can defend a game when he is on a certain position, just talking about what is right or wrong while doing nothing is laziness and false intellectual.

In this forum there are people who really contributed to HoMM in a way or another. Others just talk and negate as much as they can between two Warcraft sessions. Don't like what others work on? That's fine, as long as you don't say it is wrong before bringing your own creations, so we can discuss and compare.

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: Ubisoft Looking for RPG Developer

Unread postby Thelonious » 18 Jul 2009, 14:11

@JSE
About JvC:
I doubt that UbiSoft would want to ask JvC for ny involvement fter his first decline. And if JvC is a man of principals he would not want involvement this time. Furthermore UbiSoft has it's own universe now, whether we like it or not. JvC has nothign to do with this one.

About RPG thingy:
We miscommunicated, I meant to say that M&M left us with a rich story. UbiSoft will want to set it's RPG in Ashan, so they can (as with HoMM V) make a whole new story which cannot be inconsistent with previous M&M games.
I highly doubt that UbiSoft will be stupid enough to make HoMM a RPG when the series came with it's own RPG and they already made clear that they are willing to throw old story-lines overboard to make a new consistent series. I would think that perhaps a new M&M is in the making. The Heroes games were TBS games and I think they will stay that way. That UbiSoft uses the name Heroes of Might and Magic is because Heroes was the latest (PC) game which came out for the series.

About money making:
I wholeheartedly agree with your viewpoint, the motives of producers should be different. Thankfully people won't buy games that aren't worth their money, so even producers can't get away with everything...
Grah!

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 18 Jul 2009, 19:40

Well, it doesn't really matter which universe they set it in... so long as it's moddable ;)

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 19 Jul 2009, 08:56

Exactly. Although an modable RPG is not very likely...
Grah!

pirvix
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby pirvix » 04 Aug 2009, 20:01

...and so started the rumour of Ubisoft making a new MM game....

And let's not forget everyone that after the start of development, it takes several years untill the actual announcement of the game.

So, yeah.....anyone up for a pizza while we wait.......
Might and Magic X official website:
http://www.mightandmagic10.thegaminguniverse.com/

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Re: Ubisoft Looking for RPG Developer

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 05 Aug 2009, 09:26

Bandobras Took wrote:Witness Heroes IV, wherein they tried to make an RPG series. Oh, wait, that wasn't Ubisoft, that was the game's original designer. :jester:
OMG, heroz with skillz.... and u can play it online... iz a MMO....

Not that the post you picked on had a more valid point... as long as the creature armies play an important role in the game it's not a RPG no matter how complex the hero lvl system is...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Return to “News”