Ubisoft Looking for RPG Developer

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 13 Jul 2009, 01:01

First of all, I warn you that this rumor will probably create false hopes among some of you, but it is my duty to report the news anyway. <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com">RPGWatch</a> reports that Ubisoft Shangai is looking for a developer for a RPG project. The game is being developed for PS3, Xbox 360, PC and Mac. The full job posting can be found <a href="/http://jobs.gamasutra.com/jobseekerx/vi ... 9">here</a>. What are the odds of this game being a part of the Might and Magic franchise? I won't be betting on that, sorry.

In unrelated news, RPGWatch also has the news that Arkane Studios (developer of the Dark Messiah singleplayer) is working on Bioshock 2: <i>"Under the direction and leadership of 2K Marin, Arkane is assisting in the creation of levels that embody the aesthetic and gameplay ideals that make BioShock such a unique and exciting experience."</i> Good for them!

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1247446869
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Deadguy118
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Deadguy118 » 13 Jul 2009, 02:18

I think it's well established that Ubisoft really doesn't care that much about the Might and Magic franchise, and even if this RPG is a M&M game then everyone here will hate it simply because it isn't made by NWC or a group of fans.
Back from the dead? Maybe.

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 13 Jul 2009, 11:16

I think it's just your very own well established opinion, at least so I've noticed. ;)

The odds are very little.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 14 Jul 2009, 20:52

Psst! Ubi! I'm available! ;)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

evilp
Boy Scout
Boy Scout

Unread postby evilp » 15 Jul 2009, 15:47

ubi shanghai...Maybe I can ask somebody for some info..

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 15 Jul 2009, 16:01

As great as it could be, I don’t think that UBI has the interest or the talent to make a good MM RPG. They obviously make some good games based on their earnings, but they have consistently missed the feel of the MM universe and I just can’t see that changing. Fortunately MM fans have the recently released TCC mod and MMX and possibly MMT in the pipeline. So there are options for MM fans.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

HenL
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby HenL » 15 Jul 2009, 23:30

It says "Heroes of MM Lead Game Designer"..

o_O

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 16 Jul 2009, 00:15

They look for this :

- Shipped at least two AAA RPG titles in a senior or lead game designer role.

Somewhat hopefull, also it says Heroes of MM Lead Game Designer, so the ods could be with us here...
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

JSE
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby JSE » 16 Jul 2009, 00:38

It really does say that... Quite alarming.

Two questions arise:

1.) Have UbiSoft ever considered (and re-considered!) offering this post to *the series' original creator* before publishing this advertisement? As far as we know, Jon Van Caneghem is currently not involved in any game project.

2.) Why would it be the job of a (quote) "Heroes of MM Lead Game Designer" to develop a (quote) "brand new fantasy RPG title"??? Is this another blatant proof of not understanding at all what the Heroes series is about? Or rather for not being interested in the legacy of this great series at all and instead trying to squeeze the last bit of money out of the brand name?

UbiSoft... I *want* to buy your M&M games. I *want* to buy your Heroes of M&M games. But as long as you don't make any, all I can do is to feel frustrated about the current state of the M&M product family. :(
Edited on Wed, Jul 15 2009, 20:39 by JSE

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: Ubisoft Looking for RPG Developer

Unread postby Thelonious » 16 Jul 2009, 09:57

JSE wrote:It really does say that... Quite alarming.
Quite alarming? I find it eyebrow raising.. that's all.
JSE wrote: 1.) Have UbiSoft ever considered (and re-considered!) offering this post to *the series' original creator* before publishing this advertisement?
They did, remember? They asked JvC whether or not he wanted a part in HoMM V, he declined. I don't suppose they'll want him now.
JSE wrote: 2.) Why would it be the job of a (quote) "Heroes of MM Lead Game Designer" to develop a (quote) "brand new fantasy RPG title"???
Because they do not, as with the Heroes series, want to create a story which is inconsistent with the previous games. Also, though the story was good, it would not attract new fans (because it is to complex and features non-conventional high-tech stuff)
As you said; they want to see money. or what other reasons would they make a game?
Grah!

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 16 Jul 2009, 14:11

More water for the rumour mill:

Since the ad said "Heroes of MM", Kotaku reads that there must be a new HoMM game in the works:
Kotaku wrote:So, yeah. No subtlety there, no smoke and mirrors, no code names. Looks like a case of a straight-up "hey, wanna work on a brand new Heroes of Might & Magic game?
We'd be thrilled, of course, but there's no concrete news yet...

JSE
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby JSE » 17 Jul 2009, 04:04

@ Thelonious:

---They did, remember? They asked JvC whether or not he wanted a part in HoMM V, he declined. I don't suppose they'll want him now.---

I vaguely remember Fabrice saying something like that in response to a fan question. Anyway, did they try it again? A lot has changed, and Heroes V was definitely not what many fans wanted to see. In my opinion, they should take every opportunity to get JVC back on board. They might need to make him a quite generous offer and to give him a lot of creative control.

---Because they do not, as with the Heroes series, want to create a story which is inconsistent with the previous games.---

I was referring to the term "RPG" -- as opposed to "strategy game". As we all know and understand, Heroes is a full-fledged (turn-based) strategy game; it's *no* strategic role-playing game, let alone an actual role-playing game.

UbiSoft, however, do not seem to understand this -- or they do not want to. Or maybe they have decided to turn the Heroes series into a RPG series? As a long time fan of the Heroes games, I would see this as the killing blow. And I am a huge RPG fan. Heroes, however, is no RPG series and was never meant to be.

---As you said; they want to see money. or what other reasons would they make a game?---

There's also the artistic aspect of delivering a high quality game. I don't think that's idealistic, as many game developers identify with their projects quite a lot. Unfortunately, however, not many publishers do...
Edited on Fri, Jul 17 2009, 00:04 by JSE

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 17 Jul 2009, 04:26

Actually WoG allows us to change Heroes into a RPG game and much more.

My last scenario "the 300 Spartans" (http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/ ... hp?t=10094) use fully this feature, allowing unique quests, different paths (dark side/light side), real time horse and hog races and many other things, changed mechanics etc. The NPC answer you regardless what you did before, if you attack a peaceful citizen, you are thrown in jail, you can disguise, become invisible, play chess, play master mind, play jigsaw puzzles, the whole social activity in the city is following a path like in real life, sunday everything is closed, you can visit certain locations on specific days of the week, the cycle day/night is present...

And the next scenario, which will be a Might and Magic VI remake for HoMM, will offer real time play. Yes, no turn based, real time:). The player will play only on the first day, never seeing his move diminish and the time passing will be simulate/triggered by his actions and development.

And I would not be so sure about Heroes lacking RPG nature. As you can see, all the heroes have custom bios, there is always a campaign involving an interesting story, and IMO 3DO only lacked time to improve this aspect. The seer huts have custom dialogs, every action on the adventure map brings up a poetic dialog, so it seems there was a will toward this aspect. WoG being the best tool in the world for modding a game, nothing is impossible.

It can do anything.

astral76minor
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby astral76minor » 17 Jul 2009, 05:14

Real time gaming puts the series into absolute jeopardy. Many of the 3D0 fans will dispute this. There is no fun in a real time game due to a faster controller and a quick computer. So, if a kid can push the buttons faster.... then the player loses. TBS is the only way to keep the game fair amongst all cultures (as well as ages). TBS preserves the integrity of the game regardless of computer speed, controller type and internet speed. It is very similar to chess which allows the game to be as fair as possible. Real time game play is the end of Heroes. MMORPG'S have predicted this. Fight! Please purchase Heroes related games and go to college. Winning the lotto would help too. Remember, WE ARE OUR OWN DEVIL leaving the game on our front porch staring at a possibility. This could change. Those that encourage TBS for HOMM and (to never be forgotten) Might and Magic (the series) are the hope of our community. The future WILL be different.
Edited on Fri, Jul 17 2009, 01:59 by astral76minor

Deadguy118
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Deadguy118 » 17 Jul 2009, 06:06

Salamandre wrote:Actually WoG allows us to change Heroes into a RPG game and much more. .
You know, you just pinpointed why I dislike most custom WoG maps (and WoG in general). Because it tries to turn Heroes into things that it isn't. If I wanted actual RPG modules for an actual RPG, I would play Neverwinter Nights.
Back from the dead? Maybe.

astral76minor
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby astral76minor » 17 Jul 2009, 06:40

Deadguy118 prefers "real-time" RPG's?

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 17 Jul 2009, 11:45

Deadguy118 wrote: You know, you just pinpointed why I dislike most custom WoG maps (and WoG in general). Because it tries to turn Heroes into things that it isn't. If I wanted actual RPG modules for an actual RPG, I would play Neverwinter Nights.
Can you give please a few examples? I see many people criticizing WoG but after evidence it shows up they either played random maps (very bad idea) or they just extrapolate based on prejudges and ignorance.

WoG is a tool. It turns Heroes in what exactly you want to. When you refuse progress and creativity for a 10 years old game, then maybe it is time for you to move on, not keep defending old values.

You know who are criticizing WoG the most atm? The players from world tournaments. Yes, those players who invented custom templates, where you start in a close area, build your main (always Tazar/Crag Hack/Ivor/mephala) up to level 30, then broke guards and have a big fight, using exclusively mass slow, haste and shield. 3 spells out from 50.

And they do and repeat this 15 times a day. HoMM is certainly not that. So...

Any way, I am very enthusiast about possible RPG project from UBI. I am huge fan of M&M series and I will certainly enjoy the same thing in Heroes.

I still wait the examples from where you conclude WoG spoil HoMM.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Re: Ubisoft Looking for RPG Developer

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 17 Jul 2009, 13:20

JSE wrote:"UbiSoft, however, do not seem to understand this -- or they do not want to. Or maybe they have decided to turn the Heroes series into a RPG series? As a long time fan of the Heroes games, I would see this as the killing blow. And I am a huge RPG fan. Heroes, however, is no RPG series and was never meant to be."
Witness Heroes IV, wherein they tried to make an RPG series. Oh, wait, that wasn't Ubisoft, that was the game's original designer. :jester:
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

JSE
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby JSE » 17 Jul 2009, 16:26

@ Bandobras Took:

Although Heroes IV was a mixed bag in many ways, it was definitely a pure-strain strategy game; aspects like resource management, character advancement, army building, and combat were always in the focus. A RPG, on the other hand, would have its focus on player character indentification and on the interaction with NPCs.

What Heroes IV did was giving map makers many more opportunities to add story elements to their scenarios and campaigns -- however, a game with a lot of story is not necessarily a RPG. Sure, it was possible to "break" the standard Heroes gameplay if such story elements were used extensively -- but then again, it was only an (extreme) option; most maps were optimised for strategy playing (even though they might have had an interesting plot).
Edited on Fri, Jul 17 2009, 12:28 by JSE

Return to “News”