Bug? Priest spells *VERY* slow in MM7

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
jeffh
Peasant
Peasant

Bug? Priest spells *VERY* slow in MM7

Unread postby jeffh » 04 Apr 2009, 07:06

I'm playing MM7 and have encountered a serious problem. First of all I'm in the late stages of the Maestro mod, so that may have something to do with it, but I hesitate to blame Maestro/BDJ for this since it involves an aspect of the game that's hardcoded.

Basically, my priest all of a sudden is almost never getting a turn in combat. If we define a "round" as the time from one movement phase to the next (in turn-based mode, though the issue is noticeable in real-time as well), I was previously able to cast a spell slightly less than once per round. But now all of a sudden even the simplest spells take forever to recover from - three or four rounds, at least. My wizard is not having this problem. I don't expect the priest to keep up with the monk but this is crazy. Considering I was tackling the treasury, I need every trick at my disposal to stay alive and working with, effectively, only three characters really sucks.

Only change in equipment coinciding with my first noticing this was replacing a bow with a blaster rifle.

Any ideas?

Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Sure Valla » 04 Apr 2009, 16:51

How hard are the last stages?

Because its not that hard to play it with out turn-based.
I have played it out without turn-based :proud:

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 04 Apr 2009, 22:08

I don't know about the maestro mod, but in the regular game you can't replace a bow with a blaster rifle?? If you are holding the bow as a melee weapon try getting rid of any off-hand equipment you're using (shield, dagger, sword..).

O, and it could also be that you gave your priest a chain armor when he was wearing leather before? In that case maybe your chain armor skill needs to be improved to suffer less recovery time.

jeffh
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby jeffh » 05 Apr 2009, 08:45

In Maestro, (1) blasters are ranged weapons, and (2) there is no way in hell you're handling the Treasury without the ability to fine-tune your every move.

Also, I explicitly said in the first post that (1) the blasters were the only potentially relevant recent change in equipment, and (2) the effect was still noticeable in real-time mode. I appreciate the attempts to help, but the first step in doing that is making sure you've paid attention to the available information...

(And further to point (1), Chain skill had long since been at a level that shouldn't have affected recovery, anyway.)

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 05 Apr 2009, 17:47

I did pay attention, but I also realised you could have forgotten something ;]

Anyway.. seems like a bug then.

Herry Hardfoot
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Herry Hardfoot » 06 Apr 2009, 05:41

I don't know if this is related or not, but when I was playing the Maestro Mod the game would sometimes freeze when I tried to cast spells (the cleric's spells especially). Switching from software to hardware acceleration fixed the problem. It's worth a try.

jeffh
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby jeffh » 16 Apr 2009, 23:43

I was having that problem when there were too many enemies on the screen, for example with Meteor Shower in the Barrow Downs. So I switched acceleration types long ago and now I'm afraid to switch it back. I had been getting a lot of instability at that stage of the game but not for that particular reason.

It's a real drag when the enemies can recast Pain Reflection faster than I can dispel it (which they couldn't do in the Pit). PR, by the way, is also the main reason I don't want to just semi-blindly hack away at everything in real time mode, at least not in that particular spot. In fact, it made that fight seemingly unwinnable, though I wasn't at the absolute highest level I could have been for it.

For the last 10-11 days I've been playing other games instead. I may just quite Maestro altogether, if I haven't already. It was fun while it lasted, but it seems to be getting less stable, not to mention feel more and more repetitive, as it goes on, especially when enemies with really irritating abilities (Dispel or Pain Reflection) start to become the norm rather than the exception.

Return to “Might and Magic”