mmtools development

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 26 Apr 2009, 02:33

I've played through all of MM7 at 1280x1024.

Regarding the earlier crashing, it only happened in outdoor areas -- areas that use the "dungeon" engine did not crash when trying to pull up spell screens/inventory.

Also, I occasional got a simple quit to desktop when trying to identify items along the left side of a container.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

mmtool
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mmtool » 26 Apr 2009, 15:12

Thanks for such complete testing :) It is really looks like issue with memory buffers in high resolutions (item identification used them too). On the next week I'll release next version of patch (.dll+GUI), so 'll see.

mmtool
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mmtool » 27 Apr 2009, 15:55

Next version of viewer (wannabe editor):
- implementerd earth/water surface rendering for outdoor maps of MM6-7 (MM8 need some .lod-relating work yet). So outdoor maps is pretty recognizable now.
- fixed bug with loading some of indoor maps.

MMViewTool003.zip

mmtool
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mmtool » 02 May 2009, 05:35

v.0.2.8 (dll+GUI) not ready yet, but bug seems found - insufficient size of internal game cache. So below small update to patch, which make cache size bigger (so +1 change reported). Hope this help, because 1600x1200 mode was broken too (completly), but now workable again. Thanks for testing.

MMResTool027fix2.zip

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 03 May 2009, 15:53

This seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks!
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Allester
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: mmtools development

Unread postby Allester » 02 Jun 2017, 01:12

Ok so the game works, and switches to the 1024x768 resolution, however it has black boarders on the right and bottom side with the picture still in 600x400 resolution WITHIN the black bars. I've tried changing the .ini files to have the same matching resolution, uninstalling and reinstalling everything properly, and nothing works.

I am using GrayFaceMod v2.0 and your most recent development tool. As a streamer on Twitch who Runs these glorious games, M&M7 is one of my viewers favorites, but running it in windowed mode is the ONLY way I can play... and trying to play on a 1600x900 monitor in 600x400 resolution on the game is very painful on my eyes. When I found this patch I was like "YES! YES YES!" It worked great for Might & Magic 6... but 7 and 8 have the issue of these black bars on the right and bottom! Please help!

http://imgur.com/a/P9Gz8 A picture of what I see

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 02 Jun 2017, 17:38

I don't think this tool ever came out for something other than MM7. https://sites.google.com/site/angelddea ... lution-mod should be what you need.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Allester
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Allester » 02 Jun 2017, 23:47

GRAYFACE! You lovely person you! Thank you for the quick response, my Twitch Views thank you as well... few as they are. There's a lot of us Might & Magic fans out there that your patches have helped, every time someone asks how its working on my Windows 10 PC, I always send them to your patch I even have the page saved as a fav since I've been asked so often.

According to the posts on this topic, the mod IS for MM7 ... as well as 8 apparently. So I thought it would work, unfortunately adding your site there causes the error "unknown MM7-rel.exe" to pop up any time I try and start the game. When I use mm7-rel.exe it refuses to come out of full screen mode.

STEP BY STEP:
1: Install Might & Magic 7
2: Install MM7Patch (GrayFace Mod v2.0) (your mod seems to try and create the path: c:\Programfiles(x86)\GalaxyClient\Games\Might and Magic 7\{pf}\Might and Magic 7 )
3: Install MM7resmod

This is what I did, and what happens. - Is there any resolution mods for Might & Magic 8 yet? I'd love to start running that in 1024x768 resolution as well.
Last edited by Allester on 02 Jun 2017, 23:51, edited 1 time in total.

tomchen1989
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby tomchen1989 » 03 Jun 2017, 05:03

You have to distinguish real high-resolution tools from simple window resize tools.

For example, if your small avatar is the original image, then check out here http://imgur.com/a/0hjSt to see what a real high-resolution version and a simple resized version of it are like

And for now we have these resolution or window size tools for MM6-8:

Real high-resolution tools for MM6-8:

· mmtool's MMResTool (lastest ver: 027fix2): ONLY FOR MM7. Was intended to support MM6 and 8 but apparently the development has been discontinued. It scales only 3D scenes and does not scale 2D game-interface so the "black bars" in your screenshot http://imgur.com/a/P9Gz8 are perfectly normal, and shops' animation background can not be shown, except these, this tool works very nicely in 1024*768. It's the only stable real hi-res tool for MM6-8.
(More description)

· Emjayen's Might & Magic Compatibility Layer Tool: it does scale 2D game-interface (however the scaling does not make the resolution higher) and 3D scenes (this does), but the alpha version was just released half a month ago thus expected to have really a lot of bugs, you should really consider waiting for the stable version if you are playing rather than testing it
(Screenshot)

Simple window resize tools for MM6-8:

· Angel Death's MM6 resolution mod and MM7 resolution mod: they're actually not real hi-res tools but just simple window resizers (I can confirm that for the one for MM6 but I can't get the one for MM7 run, however I guess they are the same)

· D3DWindower and DxWnd: two very good tools that can add support (including window resize) for old games (including MM6, 7 and 8). Before using these tools for MM6-8, you may need to press F4 to switch to full-screen mode if the game is running in windowed mode (because these tools are like shrinking the whole full screen).
Last edited by tomchen1989 on 03 Jun 2017, 05:08, edited 2 times in total.

tomchen1989
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby tomchen1989 » 03 Jun 2017, 05:15

Allester wrote:I am using GrayFaceMod v2.0 and your most recent development tool. As a streamer on Twitch who Runs these glorious games, M&M7 is one of my viewers favorites, but running it in windowed mode is the ONLY way I can play... and trying to play on a 1600x900 monitor in 600x400 resolution on the game is very painful on my eyes. When I found this patch I was like "YES! YES YES!" It worked great for Might & Magic 6... but 7 and 8 have the issue of these black bars on the right and bottom! Please help!
I don't know what "worked great for Might & Magic 6" because mmtool's MMResTool doesn't work for MM6, and, Angel Death's MM6 resolution mod is actually just a simple window resize tool. Please let me know if there's any good and real hi-res tool for MM6.

Allester
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Allester » 03 Jun 2017, 15:52

The issue is, I want the window size to be 1024x768 as well as the game resolution. DXWND seemed to work but then the game resolution was what I wanted, but NOT the window, and when the game started the color pallet got borked.

I used Grayfaces patch and Angelbreed for MM6 which is what I was saying worked perfectly.

MM7 doesn't seem to want to work with any res mods or window resizers.

MM8 I haven't found anything to resize the window and resolution.

Is there any chance someone has an EXPORT FILE for DXWND that sets MM7 and MM8 to Window SIZE 1024x768 with RESOLUTION 1024x768? I can't seem to get it to resize the window no matter what I do and I'm losing hope =/
Last edited by Allester on 03 Jun 2017, 16:06, edited 1 time in total.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 03 Jun 2017, 19:17

Allester wrote:So I thought it would work, unfortunately adding your site there causes the error "unknown MM7-rel.exe" to pop up any time I try and start the game.
After installing my patch rename mm7.exe into mm7-rel.exe, that would do it. [edit] No need to do it, see my next message

What is Angelbreed?

P.S. You're welcome.
Last edited by GrayFace on 03 Jun 2017, 20:05, edited 1 time in total.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 03 Jun 2017, 20:02

Actually, here, I've just made versions for MM7 and MM8 with my patch:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gkvid0g7glemv ... e.rar?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s3303i6kc4frd ... e.rar?dl=0
Hex-edited Angel's MM7 mod (removed exe validation from MM8 one, so don't hook it to wrong executables). Now settings are in mm7.ini and mm8.ini and it uses mm7.exe rather than mm7-rel.exe. Tell me if you encounter any problems, with MM8 one in particular.

Also, here's current dll of my patch: https://www.dropbox.com/s/y4oakom2hkttr ... 2.rar?dl=0
These changes should be important:
[-] My bug: Palettes were messed up in Avlee.
[-] My bug: FixChests=1 was broken - event execution was stopped after the chest is opened.
[-] Monsters summoning wrong monsters (e.g. Archmages summoning Sylphs).
Be aware of this one too:
[-] Fixed problems with timers. This is perhaps the biggest gameplay change of my patches. Now wells refill in the beginning of a day/week/month rather than a day/week/month after the last visit to a location. Original implementation had the following issues: timer countdown was reset if you visited the location before the timer period passes; in MM6 upon revisiting the map most wells could be used a huge number of times; in MM8 timers not related to refill were working differently than in other games. Controled by FixTimers option, default is 1 (enabled).

P.S. New versions of everything coming soon.
Last edited by GrayFace on 03 Jun 2017, 20:15, edited 3 times in total.

Allester
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Allester » 03 Jun 2017, 21:18

First off, GrayFace MM7 patch v.2.0 tries to install here: C:\Program Files (x86)\GalaxyClient\Games\{pf}\Might and Magic VII every time... no idea why.

Second, MM8 Res pack works beautifully. You have to F4 twice to get it to display right, but it works. If you move the window it creates 'phantom windows' that wont go away until the game closes.

Third, MM7 now gives the error "Unknown mm7.exe" when I try to run it. Could I get a Step-by-Step for how to get these patches in? It's becoming exaserbating, I'm not a coder like you lovely folks... just a casual streamer. LOL, I appreciate the help you all are giving me and give props out to you guys during my streams of Might & Magic games. Currently 7 is giving me issues though because of all this.

CURRENTLY:
1: MM8 works great
2: MM7 having issues still
3 Loving you guys <3 <3 <3

*NOTE* I am creating a folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\GalaxyClient\Games\Might and Magic VIII\ExeMods to put the res mod in, that same for 6 and 7, the 7 resmod seems to come with an .exe file and .dll which the MM6 and MM8 do not... could this be the problem?
Last edited by Allester on 03 Jun 2017, 21:20, edited 1 time in total.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 04 Jun 2017, 05:10

Yes, that's the problem. Put both into the game folder (and delete from ExeMods), then run mm7-res.exe/mm8-res.exe. This may also fix the phantom window and whatnot, because I don't have any issues.

Allester
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Allester » 04 Jun 2017, 14:06

When I try to run mm7-res.exe/mm8-res.exe I get "Game Launch error" now. And it fails to load. If I could get you in to one of my Twitch streams, I could show you everything and perhaps solve this. xP

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 05 Jun 2017, 00:12

Send me an archive of MM folder.

Double_Trouble
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Double_Trouble » 18 Jun 2017, 10:29

Same problem as Allester for both MM7 and MM8 (Game Launch Error). Using GOG version of games.
Last edited by Double_Trouble on 18 Jun 2017, 13:30, edited 1 time in total.

Sir?
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Sir? » 19 Jun 2017, 02:50

@Allester & Double_trouble
Have you tried running mm7-res.exe in compatibility mode? I set mine for windows 95 and it runs without that Game Launch Error. However, the window appears to be misaligned as shown by this image https://ibb.co/gZzH8Q
I have tried hitting f4 twice so i can realign the window, but it gets reset every time the game is restarted

waltc
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby waltc » 24 Jun 2017, 19:32

GrayFace wrote:Actually, here, I've just made versions for MM7 and MM8 with my patch:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gkvid0g7glemv ... e.rar?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s3303i6kc4frd ... e.rar?dl=0
Hex-edited Angel's MM7 mod (removed exe validation from MM8 one, so don't hook it to wrong executables). Now settings are in mm7.ini and mm8.ini and it uses mm7.exe rather than mm7-rel.exe. Tell me if you encounter any problems, with MM8 one in particular.

Also, here's current dll of my patch: https://www.dropbox.com/s/y4oakom2hkttr ... 2.rar?dl=0
These changes should be important:
[-] My bug: Palettes were messed up in Avlee.
[-] My bug: FixChests=1 was broken - event execution was stopped after the chest is opened.
[-] Monsters summoning wrong monsters (e.g. Archmages summoning Sylphs).
Be aware of this one too:
[-] Fixed problems with timers. This is perhaps the biggest gameplay change of my patches. Now wells refill in the beginning of a day/week/month rather than a day/week/month after the last visit to a location. Original implementation had the following issues: timer countdown was reset if you visited the location before the timer period passes; in MM6 upon revisiting the map most wells could be used a huge number of times; in MM8 timers not related to refill were working differently than in other games. Controled by FixTimers option, default is 1 (enabled).

P.S. New versions of everything coming soon.
These work great, btw, as I mentioned at depth in the mmcl thread. Thanks so much! Now, just need one for MM6!...;)
Win10x64
R5 1600 @ 3.8GHz
Radeon RX-480 8GB
16 GB ram
4.2 TB's of storage

Return to “Might and Magic”