mmtools development

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
kognefaure
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby kognefaure » 14 Mar 2009, 15:57

Too cool! Awesome work!

Skall
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Skall » 17 Mar 2009, 14:00

mmtool wrote:Who had problems with 3D picture, can try the next fix to solve it (this is not release, published in 3D-picture testing purposes only). Please report is problem with phantom pictures etc. gone after it.
Note to confirm that phantom image is now gone for resolutions 800x600, 1024x768, 1440x900 and 1650x1080. Great stuff, Thanks!

mmtool
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mmtool » 18 Mar 2009, 19:07

Good :) Next release of MMResTool 'll out later at this week. Because it 'll contain not only update to MM7/D3D patch (many mouse-related fixes and other stuff), but support of packing to/unpacking from .LOD and .HWL file formats too (useful for modding).

mmtool
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mmtool » 21 Mar 2009, 17:23

After some research last week I'm seems figured out, how to change game maps (even 3D-models of areas and dungeons). With glitches yet, but more-or-less workable both in SW/HW modes. So decided to separate .exe-patching and resource-editing tools.

MMResTool will be oriented to .exe-related tasks mostly (like hi-res patches) with support of some related abilities (like SW to D3D textures conversion). It will be released as always (next update at this weekend).

MMEditTool will be mod-making oriented. With support of packing, unpacking, conversion and editing of all kinds of MM6-8 game resources in easy (user-frendly) form. Something like development environment for modding. This tool I'll release publically after it complete developing and testing. But privately (in testing purposes) may be share it with some modmakers, if they'll need some functionality of it before public release.

Progress of development and supported features will be shown via publically available mini-mods (playgrounds/battlefields on single map). Even may be I'll make them automatically generated. Then (after MMEditTool public release) I'll may be start development of my own big mod. Or may be not, if 'll become bored with all this stuff at that time.

In any case, yet another *cough* fan project *cough* is started...

mmtool
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mmtool » 23 Mar 2009, 00:50

Russian forum is not accessable currently by some reason, so I can not attach file and provide link to it here. So I'll try to post it tommorow. Release 0.2.6 contains another couple of "MM7/D3D patch" fixes, but it not ready for normal gaming yet (not all interface issues fixed completly). First more-or-less playable "beta" version of patch will be ready to the next weekend only, i.e. around end of March.
Also this version contains complete support of S/W to D3D sprites/textures conversion for MM8 game too.

mmtool
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mmtool » 23 Mar 2009, 14:36

Krogul
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Krogul » 23 Mar 2009, 15:18

I don't have phantom interface now ;].

mmtool
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mmtool » 23 Mar 2009, 19:06

Nobody must experience it now, I hope :)

Btw, MM8 in D3D mode seems apply dynamical recoloring to creatures with clothes too (unlike MM7). And it looks really bad. Take close look at lizards at the begining of the game after textures conversion. If recoloring disabled, they look almost exactly as in software mode (sharp and colorfull). If recoloring enabled, they look like colored shadows of themself. So in case of playing MM8 in D3D better to disable recoloring (in my opinion). In future some fix will be made (by somebody via game files, or even by me via patching D3D engine), which allow various color of clothes for creatures (like in s/w mode). Because it is the only fault of D3D mode seems.

mmtool
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mmtool » 30 Mar 2009, 20:24

For these, who waiting next patch. I'm already released v.0.2.7 on Russian forum, but it workable only for mm7.exe v.1.0.0.1 currently (602 changes reported). Support of MOK's mm7-rel.exe (v.1.2.1.0) should be completed in one-two next days, then I'll release it here too. And patched MM7 is pretty playable now.

mmtool
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mmtool » 03 Apr 2009, 22:23

So below the link to MMResTool 0.2.7 with playable MM7/D3D patch.
It supports .exe versions 1.0.0.1 (Chinese, English, Russian, 609 changes reported) and MOK-patch version 1.2.1.0 (597 changes reported). Btw, target .exe must not be packed by some exe-packer like UPX.

All must be workable (with some minor glitches). With exception of animated backgrounds in stores etc. They invisible because 3D-view painted over them currently (to avoid black background). This is problem of all 0.2.7 versions of patch, and should be solved in future releases. But they 'll out not so often now, because current version is pretty playable, and I want to spend more time on modding-related issues (engine patching is pretty boring work).

Report me here, if some critical issues 'll be found. Especially in case of MOK patch version of .exe, which I not use in gaming, so amost not test it.

MMResTool027.zip

mmtool
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mmtool » 10 Apr 2009, 20:47

Small fix, related to bug with "water/hydro suits" of previous release of patcher (so -5 changes). No more other fixes yet. Next versions 'll be .dll+GUI combo, no more console patchers (need more flexibility and space for additional code and data - to fix software mode, resize in-game pictures, improve engine etc.).
MMResTool027fix.zip

mmtool
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mmtool » 13 Apr 2009, 22:51

Short and very common instruction on patching English version of MM7:
1) install MM7 game;
2) apply MOK patch to it;
3) unpack "MMResTool027fix.zip" to MM7 game folder (where "mm7.exe" exists)
4) go to MM7 game folder and launch "mmt_d3d_screen.bat" to patch resolution (by default to 1024x768, if need other, change values in .bat)
If all right, 592 changes must be reported.
5) launch the game to check, how it work after patching;
6) if all OK, launch "mmt_d3d_textures.bat" to convert textures/sprites
from software-mode .LODs to hardware mode .HWLs. Say "yes" to
overwrite old (original) .hwl-s (in case you sure you need it :) Wait until all conversion 'll be done (several thousands of pictures converted).
7) launch game to play it.

In GUI version it all be more easy (and other .exe-related options will be provided).

phamlongtuan
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby phamlongtuan » 20 Apr 2009, 07:15

mmtool wrote:Short and very common instruction on patching English version of MM7:
1) install MM7 game;
2) apply MOK patch to it;
3) unpack "MMResTool027fix.zip" to MM7 game folder (where "mm7.exe" exists)
4) go to MM7 game folder and launch "mmt_d3d_screen.bat" to patch resolution (by default to 1024x768, if need other, change values in .bat)
If all right, 592 changes must be reported.
5) launch the game to check, how it work after patching;
6) if all OK, launch "mmt_d3d_textures.bat" to convert textures/sprites
from software-mode .LODs to hardware mode .HWLs. Say "yes" to
overwrite old (original) .hwl-s (in case you sure you need it :) Wait until all conversion 'll be done (several thousands of pictures converted).
7) launch game to play it.

In GUI version it all be more easy (and other .exe-related options will be provided).
Hello, just come and say hello and million thanks for your great job. Keep it work man. However, do you have any plan to move this work on MM6, i love to see that.

mmtool
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mmtool » 20 Apr 2009, 14:05

Thanks :) Yes, hi-res patches 'll be made to all MM (6,7,8) for both S/W and D3D modes. And engine itself 'll be updated to use more modern DirectX versions (instead of 6.1), 32-bit color, smoothing of textures in S/W mode etc. But with time and step by step, because I've several other projects (and real-life work too).

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 20 Apr 2009, 19:29

This is fantastic work! The game looks great in 1280x1024!

Unfortunately, it's also crashing (internal error) when I try to open the spellbook for my Cleric. Is this a known issue?
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

mmtool
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mmtool » 20 Apr 2009, 21:17

No, I have not this error and nobody reported it yet. So thanks for reporting. May be it is some issue with resolution (I'm mostly testing patch in 1024x768) or MOK-patch version related. I'll try to catch and fix it in nearest several days. In other case may be next (.dll+GUI) version of patch 'll help.
And if somebody else have such serious issues, please report me too (to fix them). Because my PC have not any seriouse issue with last version of patch, nothing crashing and all playable. Is such serious bugs exists on some other PC (especially crushes), this is abnormal thing, which need to be reported and fixed.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 20 Apr 2009, 22:22

If it's a glitch, it's irregular -- I can access the spellbook now. I'll let you know if I can duplicate it.

Edit: And now it's happening again, and crashing at the character inventory screen, as well.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 21 Apr 2009, 02:23

Seems to be a random crash whenever it tries to pull up a non-standard screen -- I just had it happen when trying to play Arcomage.

Whatever the problem, it looks like entering a new area clears it. Exiting/restarting will not clear it once it starts up, but forcing the game to load a different area allows me to once again access spell screens, etc.

mmtool
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mmtool » 21 Apr 2009, 14:05

Thanks. May be this happen because lack of space for engine in-memory buffers in higher resolutions. In patch I was forced to use minimal possible size for them because of lack of free space in original .exe. So may be this buffers become overflown with data at some points and cause game crush. Btw, S/W mode not yet supported in patch because lack of space for engine hi-res buffers too.
In next version of patch (with external .dll usage) I'll be able to allocate memory buffers of any size, so problem possibly 'll be solved (I hope).
In other case I'll ask you to send me dump of MM memory (file "Mem000.txt"), which MM7 generate after internal errors in it folder. May be analysis of it 'll help.

mmtool
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mmtool » 25 Apr 2009, 20:37

Next version of my MM viewer tool (which 'll become MM editor tool in future). Need to be placed (unpacked) to game folder, then can be launched. In this version:
-fixed texturing bugs;
-added support of all MM6-8 map formats (but several maps not supported yet);
- preliminary support of outdoor map rendering (only 3D-objects like buildings etc. renderend in this version).
- better camera management. Camera can be moved/rotated etc. by the same keys, as in MM games (look at program caption to list of them). If on some maps nothing visible after loading, try to move/rotate camera - may be no objects in view currently.

MMViewTool002.zip

Return to “Might and Magic”