Consistent CTD in Maestro

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
jeffh
Peasant
Peasant

Consistent CTD in Maestro

Unread postby jeffh » 22 Feb 2009, 14:26

I've been playing the Maestro mod for a few days (my characters, after a frustrating start, have hit level 14 with lots of options open to them) and I'm really enjoying the new take on MM7. However, it has not been as stable as would be ideal (though it probably doesn't help that I'm running Vista), and in particular, there's one spot where I'm consistently getting a CTD.

I never bothered to finish off the goblins in the southeast corner of the Harmondale map until now. Twice now, I've tried to approach them from around the White Cliff Caves, taken out the first group with no problems, then while I'm shooting arrows at the second bunch, the game crashes on me. There's no obvious reason - nothing (at least nothing obvious to me) is happening that's out of the ordinary, I'm just shooting arrows at goblins like I've done dozens of times before this point in the game.

Is this a known problem and if so, is there a workaround? If not, consider a bug reported.

vladimir-maestro
Genie
Genie

Unread postby vladimir-maestro » 22 Feb 2009, 16:42

I'm not sure about it because I do not had such problem. So there might be only 2 obvious possibilities:
1) Early version of the MM7 game
2) Summons. Chieftains summoned so many minions so game cannot control them all at the same time -> crush.

Try to use earlier saves of if the problem occures again - try to not confrontatewith them.
You can contact me here:
maestro_mod@yahoo.com
vladud @ yandex.ru - preferred one
---
Site about MODs: http://www.mmgames.ru
---
if you wish to upload some materials for this site - let me know.

jeffh
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby jeffh » 22 Feb 2009, 23:55

My base install is from the Platinum Edition version. I assume that was current at the time 3D0 went tits-up. Do I need Mok's patch? I just sort of assumed your mod included it, based on the installation instructions not mentioning it one way or another.

(Other than this issue, by the way, I can't begin to tell you enough how much fun I'm having with this thing...)

vladimir-maestro
Genie
Genie

Unread postby vladimir-maestro » 23 Feb 2009, 07:50

MOK patch allow to play MM7 under XP \ VISTA.

If game works - I think you do not need MOK's patch.
You can contact me here:
maestro_mod@yahoo.com
vladud @ yandex.ru - preferred one
---
Site about MODs: http://www.mmgames.ru
---
if you wish to upload some materials for this site - let me know.

jeffh
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby jeffh » 23 Feb 2009, 19:41

Figured as much.

So, no suggestions other than "don't go there" (or at least "go real slowly so not too many Chiefs have a chance to be active at once")?

Herry Hardfoot
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Herry Hardfoot » 28 Feb 2009, 22:06

Some problems can be fixed by switching between software and hardware acceleration. The mod is designed for software acceleration, but anywhere you're having problems, try hardware acceleration just for that part. That fixed a lot of problems for me.

Also, some people were having problems with certain sound files crashing their games (in Nighon, at least, I don't know if it happened anywhere else). I never had that problem because my computer has no sound, so I switch off the sound options during installation. Perhaps try turning off game sounds in the goblin area?

jeffh
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby jeffh » 28 Feb 2009, 23:51

Actually, I (inadvertently) waited for Harmondale to respawn, and by the time it did goblins did about as well against my party as a stick of butter would against a guy with a flamethrower; and I had no technical problems at all. I assume the problem was that I was giving the chiefs time to spawn too many goblins before, wheras with them dying before I could even see them in some cases, this was no longer the case.

Return to “Might and Magic”