[Backstory] Pirates of Regna

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Lord of the Guns
Peasant
Peasant

[Backstory] Pirates of Regna

Unread postby Lord of the Guns » 17 Feb 2009, 05:58

Hallo.

For every NWC era Might and Magic fans
if everyone had played MM6, Heroes3 (including its two expansions), MM7, and MM8. you will notice that there's another human faction known as Pirates of Regna. (in MM8 you will invade their homes) ,this faction is the most advanced in fashions... compared to Erathians :p (i believe, save for The Ancients, which they are way too futuristic and appears in the latter stages of the game) but what about their technology?
in MM8 (or even in Heroes3), there's a hint that they extensively uses gunpower weapons, the most obivious sample is Cannon (and what about Jadamean lizardmen? how do they get a battery of naval cannon? who gave them those guns? or did they seize those from Regnan pirates?). but what about smaller versions?

I'm not sure what does a lesser pirate holds? surely not a ramrod for those naval cannons, is it just a simple mop? (to clean the deck of the ship) or is it a rifle? (How come did regnans get these advanced weapons? while other factions still use less advanced weapons (i.e. bows and crossbows, Erathians are a littlebit more advanced because they have Repeating crossbows designed for Marksmen and especially to keep their paces with AvLee elf longbowmens)) i've saw WoG mod citing that "regnan" factions do use firearms!
but in MM8, i didn't see any regnan gunmens there, only crossbow chicks :devil:
How advance their cannon is? how does its fuze works? does it uses Berdan fuzes? or do regnans uses conventional fuzes (which doesn't work in rainy days, or in moise weathers), and which sources of Regnan arsenals are more accurate? (at lease they don't have Ancients guns!)

What kind of their political system do Regnan use? do they have their "government body?" and who is their leader before the Reckoning?

If an exclusive regnan factions (or at lease, pirates) exists in any Heroes3 mod (or if 3DO did Regnan factions instead of either Forge or Conflux), what is their alignment? Good? Evil? or Neutral? (they fight neither to protect nor to destroy the world, but for their survival)

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 17 Feb 2009, 07:34

Regnan pirates or people of Empire of Endless Sea (as they say about themselves) living on islands between Enroth, Antagarich and Jadame.
They main base is isle Regna and city Harecksburg. Empire was created by Hareck I in VI century AS when humans banished Trolls from Regna.
Regnans "work" on sea where they collected "taxes" from passing ships. They have also excellent smithes. And yes they have cannons (as Enrothian and Erathian - IIRC in H3:RoE we can see Cathereine's ships armed with cannons) and also submarine (MM8).
They last leader was "emperor" Hareck IX who "worked" with his people on open sea (which other ruler work hand to hand with his people? ;)).
Regnans helped Archibald during Sucession Wars (by selling him weapons from Clanker) and later they were banished from Enroth by Roland. Because that some Enrothian craftsmen can't colour they items on indago - it was exported only from Regna.

Sorry for mess in this post - I will try clear it later (and find some quotes).

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 17 Feb 2009, 16:23

what is their alignment? Good? Evil? or Neutral? (they fight neither to protect nor to destroy the world, but for their survival)
I don't know what alignment they were supposed to be, but there are Regnans from Christian's campaign in Heroes III. They're mostly represented by the Stronghold, which is Neutral, but that's just gameplay mechanics I guess.

But there are Regnans in Heroes IV (formerly Regnan, at least), and they're aligned with Chaos, which practically translates as Evil in that context. And retroactively from MM6, they were like a secret fourth faction allied with Archibald, and all of Archibald's allies were Evil in gameplay terms.

The Dungeon and Necropolis factions are also only out to survive and conquer too, you know - only the Kreegans ever wanted to destroy the world ;)

And they don't have any firearms in any of the official games, but I guess there's no reason why they shouldn't. If any of the "barbaric" (non-technologically-advanced) factions were to have basic guns, the Pirates would be the most likely choice.

Lord of the Guns
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Lord of the Guns » 18 Feb 2009, 12:50

^ we can then implied that Regnans are "chaotic evil" (they have to be evil or helps other villains because being suppressed/outlawed by "good" factions. or just evil because they want to be independent rather than ruled over by either Dungeon Warlocks (If Caneghem is in a full control of H4 project, Regnans should become another faction instead of belongs to Nighons) or lost their peaceful afterlife (to be ruled over by Necromancers), well they fight for themself, the Necromancers want to Rule the World with their absolute dictationship) because in HeroesII, the "neutral alignment" concept is not exist yet, if Regnans sided with Archibald Ironfist then they're as evil as Archibald... or at least fears that Roland will invade Regna in no time!

For their technology. (Caneghem said that the whole MM universe doesn't follow linear tech development), if you said that Regnans "may use firearms in addition to regularly-using cannons".... then how "advance" their small firearms can be?

For the reasons that there's no firearms in MM8 .. i believe it is NWC's lack of knowhow on coding "pistol-sword wielding skills" since pirates don't wield guns and pistols in the same way as adventurers wield crossbows and melee weapons, but wield sword with one hand and wield pistol with another.. so "firearms" skill coding will be much more complicated (placing a pistol in a backpack is uncanny) in MM6 and MM7, laserguns are wielded in the same manner as Axe weapons and never used together with Bows and Crossbows, nor any other weapons. and.. no Double Laser Pistol wieldings! ... so coding such weapon skills are much easier than Pirate firearms skills... that's why there's no any single gunmen in MM8 otherwise if 3DO don't overrush MM8 productions. you will see MM8 with a full-3D Lith Tech, and ... with refined skills (you can't shoot two bullets at once using gun, you can only shoot two arrows with bows and two bolts with crossbows)

But if you said that "handheld firearms exists in MM universe too!" and "regnan may have those things" then...
1. In "Here There Be Pirates" mission (in Sir Christian's campaign), look at its intro videos (i've post its screenshots here but i can't see the bigger versions. also i have Heroes3: Complete now but not yet finising any Armageddon's Blade campaign), there are two pirates on a deck, one is captain, other is one of his underlings, having his hand holds something that looks much like a rifle (there's something that looks like "lockplate" present)... is it a regnan rifle? or is it just a cleaning mop? but surely that thing is not the ramrod for cannons.
2. In MM8, there is a quest to sink the whole regnan fleet while docking. the only means to do so is using a very huge! extra huge and long barrel naval cannon. imagine how do they load that gun wihout using scaffoldings? and imagine what make their Clusterbomb shell works? (it works much like one of Earth spells which i forgot its name)? What kind of "technology" made these weapons possible for them?
- for that big cannon, it is very likely that it is Breechloading cannon (Dahlgren?), player must touch the panel to fire (and flintlock technology is rarely used in big guns). is it possible that Regnans know how to make, and use Berdan percussion fuze? (there's a smaller cousins too! i believe those smaller cousins are muzzle loaders but it can use Berdan fuze too).. conventional fuzes and flaming spikes are in risk to malfunction in humid weathers of Regna. And plus looking inside The quest cannonball. do you see any thread-like fuze come out of the shell?.... in order for the cannonball to work in such manner, it is possible that Regnans utilizes mercury fulminates in this work to make timing fuzes (think of Grenades of our days)
- for small arms. How advance can they be? if they have access to mercury fulminates (this is a substance that used as gun primer and works by percussion)Alchemist labs know how to make it works). How advanced their small arms can be? do they have firearms that uses brass-cased cartidge? do they have revolvers? or do they have any kind of brechloading guns?
^ muzzle loading percussion psitol, this weapon uses fulminate primer
^ Trapdoor breech loading rifle
^ Revolver that uses loose-powder and (possibly) muzzle loaded.. Is this too advanced for regnan blacksmiths to make?

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 18 Feb 2009, 13:22

Lord of the Guns wrote:^ we can then implied that Regnans are "chaotic evil"
No we can't because this is not D&D setting. :P
In HoMM and MM we have alignments: good - neutral - evil or chaotic (depending on game but chaotic=evil) and that all.

In MM1-5 adventures can be good, neutral or evil. In MM7 they start as neutral and can be good or evil (there isn't alignment choise in MM6, MM8 and 9)
In HoMM1 we don't have alignments, in HoMM2 we have good or evil towns, in HoMM3 we have also neutral and HoMM4 have alignments depending on magic school (or lack of it - barbarians). HoMM5 is backstep - only good and evil towns. :P

And Regnans - well they are "evil" from Erathian/Enrothian/Jadame point of view - same like Dungeon or Necropolis.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 07 Jul 2011, 00:04

The Regnans are obviously evil. They're the most selfish p***s out there, and their whole "empire" is built upon preying on others.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 07 Jul 2011, 05:33

Oh man, i've been wondering since forever what Catherine was saying in that intro... it's "Regnan fleets"... and they're a pirate faction... good to know.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 07 Jul 2011, 06:10

ThunderTitan wrote:Oh man, i've been wondering since forever what Catherine was saying in that intro... it's "Regnan fleets"... and they're a pirate faction... good to know.
You gotta familiarise with the core series, TT :) It has great storyline, and Heroes is but a rather small part of overall MM storyline, which is mostly (backstory, etc.) revealed in the main RPG series. You can get all the games from torrents, check them out ;)
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

Return to “Might and Magic”