How did you first get into Might and Magic?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
jeff4815
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby jeff4815 » 01 Feb 2009, 03:39

I watched my dad play might and magic 3 as a kid. Then I eventually got into it.
And there was much rejoicing...
"You want a piece of me?!"
Ithilgore trying to Identify a Dragon: "Haven't seen one before..."

jeffh
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby jeffh » 13 Feb 2009, 07:20

Sometime in the early 90s, when I was in my late teens, I borrowed M&M3 from a friend, along with Sorcery 101 and something else I can't even remember. He quickly forgot I had them and had no further interest in them, so to this day M&M3 has still not been returned ;) . I thought it was a fun diversion and my mom got absolutely hooked; it took me longer but eventually it got me too, there was always just one more thing you wanted to do and before you knew it you'd been playing until 4 in the morning. The Xeen games were much the same thing. Years later I reexperienced that with VII and VIII (not so much VI, which I always lost interest in at some point).

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 13 Feb 2009, 23:47

After playing several other RPGs such as Starflight (PC), Phantasy Star 2 on the Sega Genesis and Bane of the Cosmic Forge; I got MM2 for the Genesis and with the exception of the first person shooters 3DO tried I have bought and/or played every MM or Heroes product until Tribes where I finally had to draw the line. :(
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

namad
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

i got the original darkside of xeen back on floppy disks!

Unread postby namad » 16 Feb 2009, 10:24

i got the original darkside of xeen back on floppy disks! and then some of my first ever cds were homm1 and world of xeen .. played em both on my 486 25mhz computer with like a 40meg harddrive :-p

those games were leaps and bounds above most of the other games of the time

MadMax
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby MadMax » 17 Feb 2009, 18:57

aahh childhoodmemories....
I were around 6 years old when my dad brought home a burned copy of heroes 3, I was stuck right away.I loved it even tough I sucked at it, I usually just cheated and gave myself like 100 archangels or so and then kicked everyones ass xD
Then I got the Armageddons Blade game which was like a dream coming true, I still have that box but I cant find the game or the manual :(
I also got Crusaders of Might and Magic but i never really played it. Then I was at my dad's new bands gig and I saw Shadow of Death hanging in the store where they played. I was thrilled it was so exciting but me and my dad were poor at the time so we couldnt afford it :(
Then one day I got this Sold Out version of MaMVII which I loved from the start (Still my all time favourite game) Later on I also had MMVIII fro my dads brother but I guess I lost the box for that :( (My dad prolly threw it away :() And boy it took me years to finish MMVII too haha I always got stuck in the walls of mist and couldnt figure out how to get the last key so i just went out and leveled and leveled xD
When I got MMVIII I decided that I would start collecting theese games now I have MMVII in orginal box, Im currently bidding on the MMVI one too! :) And also I have ORIGINAL: Heroes3 restoration of erathia, Crusaders of Might and Magic, Might and Magic IX and Might and Magic VIII and The collectors edition AND the limited edition of Heroes 5, A old cluebook compilation and MMVI collectors edition (the one with all the old games) And Dark Messiah collectors edition and finally I have Heroes Chronicles as original too, Oh yeah and Heroes Platinum may be mentionable.
Then I have some sold out versions and some complete editions :)
I love my MM collection and I hope to extend it more in the future :)
Thanks for taking your time and acctually read this xD

algaard
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby algaard » 27 Feb 2009, 11:46

I got into might and magic one when it first originally came out.
The brain eater was my favorite creature and I still am into the series even till this day.

Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Sure Valla » 29 Mar 2009, 10:09

When i was about 7 years old i stayed at my brother, my parents went to a concert. At that time i was already playing Army men 2. So i asked for a new game ;) . And my dad bought me Might and magic 7.
Last edited by Sure Valla on 17 Apr 2013, 20:12, edited 1 time in total.

BMJedi
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BMJedi » 03 Apr 2009, 21:33

In the early 90's, I bought a game console called a Sega Genesis CD. I had enjoyed Atari systems when I was a kid, so I got the Sega out of curiosity about how games had advanced. I also wanted to see if I could get as much pleasure as a young adult out of gaming as I had when I was a kid.

But I only ever got into one game for the Sega CD - Dark Wizard. (Has anyone else ever played it or heard of it?)

But I REALLY got into it! I spent my whole Christmas, Spring, and Summer vacations, eight plus hours a day playing that sucker!

Dark Wizard was a turn-based strategy game featuring towns, dozens of maps, heroes (Vampire hero/Undead army, Sorceress hero/woodland creatures army, Knight hero/soldiers and griffins army, I forget the last one) , and huge customizable armies with experience-building, class-advancing creatures.

It also featured engaging battle animations and captivating music.

When I finally had played Dark Wizard to death and realized there was nothing else like it in Console World, I started looking at PC games to see what I could find that was similar.

The game that seemed the closest was HOMM I. At first, I didn't like the ways it was different from Dark Wizard, but after only a couple of days of play, I became a convert for life.

HOMMI, HOMMII, MM6, HOMMIII, MM7, MM8, HOMMIV. Over the 90s and early 2000's, I spent every vacation night and day, and weeks of sleepless nights and bleary-eyed days on working days, playing these masterpieces of addictive entertainment!

yohnstoppable
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby yohnstoppable » 12 Apr 2009, 05:02

When I was younger, my dad would get rpgs and I'd watch along as he played. He bought Clouds of Xeen and Darkside of Xeen. Eventually I played through both. The Heroes series followed along with Might and Magic 6. To this day Heroes 3 and M&M6 are 2 of my all time favorite games.

Apeman
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Apeman » 12 Apr 2009, 08:47

I bought a game magazine which had a demo disc included, on which was the demo of Heroes II. It was only the broken alliance map but I played that map so many times. The graphics, the music and the cartoonish feel of the game was what impressed me the most.

Soon after I saw MMVI which I bought at once. Hooked ever since.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 12 Apr 2009, 09:15

Kristo wrote:I started with the Heroes 2 demo from an issue of PC Gamer.
I got nothing original to add :)
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 12 Apr 2009, 14:25

Started with the original King's Bounty for DOS back in 1990

Then 5 or 6 years later got the demo for Heroes 1 from a PC Gamer magazine demo CD. It all went from there.

Return to “Might and Magic”