GrayFace MM6 Patch v2.5.7 [Mar 4, 2022]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Kinox
Peasant
Peasant

Re: GrayFace MM6 Patch v2.4 [Sep 17, 2019]

Unread postby Kinox » 27 Apr 2020, 23:21

Kinox wrote:
GrayFace wrote:
Kinox wrote:BLACKSHIRE, Lair of the Wolf: Ghost NPC chat non-synchronized 'magic sprinkle'
The sprinkle sound effect and animation seem to be weirdly separated; for example, the sprinkle animation appears anwyays when you go talk/retalk to the NPC, but with no sound (or it is after closing the chat?); eventually, if you click on the chat for the Pearl of Purity, THEN you'll find the sprinkle sound, but now without the sprinkle animation.
I can't reproduce. Can you record it?
Yes, that's feasible. I'll need some days though; technical issues.
There it is. Struggled a bit and couldn't help with the loss of video quality. However it should be good enough for this particular issue.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gVrfhdPJ2E

Lougha
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Lougha » 10 Jun 2020, 01:52

I couldn't believe this game still has an active following. I just dusted it off on an old windows XP machine to teach my sons! I'd lost the disks, but found a downloadable version through Amazon.

I can't for the life of me get the patch to work though. When I try to run the official updates to go from 1.0 - 1.2, it hangs up and won't run. And I've tried to run the grayface english and the local versions...

Any ideas what' s going wrong for me?

Anubis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Anubis » 10 Jun 2020, 03:32

When I try to run the official updates to go from 1.0 - 1.2, it hangs up and won't run.
You don't need to bother running the official updates. GrayFace's patch already includes that.

You just need to install MM6 and then install GrayFace's patch on top of that. Do you have Discord, by any chance? It would be an easier form of communication to help troubleshoot your issue.

If not, please tell me what you've done, step-by-step.

Lougha
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Lougha » 10 Jun 2020, 03:58

I do not have Discord, sorry.

I downloaded the game installer from Amazon games, ran the installer with no trouble. Have been playing the game fine - it shows up as Version 1.0.0.1

I got a copy of the 2.4 patch, and ran it. I get an error message that says "Exception EAssertionFailed in module PatchTxt.exe at 0002A459. File missing" and then it list the full registry of where the game files are loaded ... "\data\icons.lod."

If I try to re-run the patch, but uncheck the box for running large add ons, it will say that it completes the install, but nothing changes.

When I tried to run the official 1.0 to 1.2 patch and update, I get the error message "Old File not found. However, a file of the same name was found. No update done since file contents do not match.

I have also tried to do a full reload of the game files and get the same messages/errors.

Anubis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Anubis » 10 Jun 2020, 04:24

I've never heard of that error before. You'll have to wait for GrayFace to respond. Sorry I couldn't be of further help.

Anubis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Anubis » 10 Jun 2020, 09:20

Hey, I have a follow-up question. What localization is your Might and Magic 6 game? (e.g. is it English, Russian, etc.)?
Last edited by Anubis on 10 Jun 2020, 09:20, edited 1 time in total.

Lougha
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Lougha » 10 Jun 2020, 14:40

I assume english as all the language is in english. But if there are other options, I guess I'd need to know how to find that information.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 28 Jun 2020, 22:18

Lougha wrote:I got a copy of the 2.4 patch, and ran it. I get an error message that says "Exception EAssertionFailed in module PatchTxt.exe at 0002A459. File missing" and then it list the full registry of where the game files are loaded ... "\data\icons.lod."
Install the game somewhere outside Program Files, e.g. c:\Games\. That may be the cause of such problems. I should add a warning for it in the installer.
Also, you've used patch edition for unknown localizations. You should use the one for English version instead.
Last edited by GrayFace on 28 Jun 2020, 22:22, edited 2 times in total.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Lougha
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Lougha » 30 Jun 2020, 14:01

GrayFace wrote:
Lougha wrote:I got a copy of the 2.4 patch, and ran it. I get an error message that says "Exception EAssertionFailed in module PatchTxt.exe at 0002A459. File missing" and then it list the full registry of where the game files are loaded ... "\data\icons.lod."
Install the game somewhere outside Program Files, e.g. c:\Games\. That may be the cause of such problems. I should add a warning for it in the installer.
Also, you've used patch edition for unknown localizations. You should use the one for English version instead.
I did an uninstall, reinstalled to C:\games\ - the full location is C:\Games\Might and Magic VI Limited Edition\. Amazon sells it as part of a package that has all the first 6 games. The exe for MM6 is in that folder, and there are folders (mm1, mm2, mm6, etc) for the other games. There is also an exe for MM6 in the mm6 folder.

I got the English version of the patch downloaded and it ran fine. But the version is still not updated. Might that different folder structure be part of the problem?

rotalihinna
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby rotalihinna » 02 Aug 2020, 22:56

I am unable to run the game full screen with the 2.4 patch. I can resize it and make it take up the whole screen, but it's still windowed.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 05 Aug 2020, 10:27

Lougha wrote:I did an uninstall, reinstalled to C:\games\ - the full location is C:\Games\Might and Magic VI Limited Edition\. Amazon sells it as part of a package that has all the first 6 games. The exe for MM6 is in that folder, and there are folders (mm1, mm2, mm6, etc) for the other games. There is also an exe for MM6 in the mm6 folder.

I got the English version of the patch downloaded and it ran fine. But the version is still not updated. Might that different folder structure be part of the problem?
Maybe. Install the patch into the folder that has subfolders Anims, Data, Sounds.
rotalihinna wrote:I am unable to run the game full screen with the 2.4 patch. I can resize it and make it take up the whole screen, but it's still windowed.
What happens when you press F4?
Last edited by GrayFace on 05 Aug 2020, 10:28, edited 1 time in total.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

littledevall
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby littledevall » 09 Dec 2020, 04:27

any chance of adding a quick load button? :3c

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 09 Dec 2020, 08:44

littledevall wrote:any chance of adding a quick load button? :3c
MM6.ini, set QuickLoadKey to your preferred keycode.

Abalore
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Abalore » 16 Jan 2021, 21:30

I'm running GrayFace's latest patch and the mouse look is just my curser stuck in the middle of the screen and the screen moves as I move my mouse (again, with the curser just stuck on the screen, which means I can't use it to select character via their portrait, etc.)

This isn't the way I've ever played this game before, even on this machine (Windows 10). Previously mouse look just worked the way it usually does - via the right mouse button. How can I get it to use the mouse look only when holding down the right mouse button?

These are the settings I have tried:
MouseLook=1
MouseSensitivityX=35
MouseSensitivityAltModeX=75
MouseLookChangeKey=4
MouseLookTempKey=0
CapsLockToggleMouseLook=1
MouseLookUseAltMode=0
MouseLookWhileRightClick=0
MouseWheelFly=1
AlwaysStrafe=0

Setting "MouseLookUseAltMode" and "MouseLookWhileRightClick" to 1 only seems to disable the mouse look.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 17 Jan 2021, 02:35

Abalore wrote:I'm running GrayFace's latest patch and the mouse look is just my curser stuck in the middle of the screen and the screen moves as I move my mouse (again, with the curser just stuck on the screen, which means I can't use it to select character via their portrait, etc.)
1) Just press Caps Lock to toggle it.
2) You can also press middle mouse button.
3) My favorite is holding the right mouse button, moving the cursor, then pressing left button while still holding right.
Abalore wrote:This isn't the way I've ever played this game before, even on this machine (Windows 10). Previously mouse look just worked the way it usually does - via the right mouse button. How can I get it to use the mouse look only when holding down the right mouse button?
What you're describing is MM8's default behavior. It never existed in MM6 or MM7.

Abalore
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Abalore » 18 Jan 2021, 23:48

You're right, of course. My memory was wrong. Thanks!

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 04 Feb 2021, 02:05

Some of the chests in the Warlord's Fortress now display this message instead of opening: "You were unable to pick the lock." I don't remember ever seeing that message before. Were they duplicate chests that were made to just not open with one of the more recent patches? (it seems there were a lot of chest fixes in version 2.1 and last time I played was 2.0, so...)

Also, I saw that there's a fixed graphic for the blaster where it looks like it's held more like it should be (but there doesn't appear to be one for the rifle). The graphic is in icons.lod and named "RAYGUN1A". Perhaps it can be implemented?

And I also noticed that in monsters.txt the Noble Titans were casting "Psychic Shockt,M,18". Not sure if it matters; they seem to have no trouble casting the spell anyways.
Last edited by Macros the Black on 04 Feb 2021, 19:43, edited 2 times in total.
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 05 Feb 2021, 05:41

Macros the Black wrote:Some of the chests in the Warlord's Fortress now display this message instead of opening: "You were unable to pick the lock." I don't remember ever seeing that message before. Were they duplicate chests that were made to just not open with one of the more recent patches? (it seems there were a lot of chest fixes in version 2.1 and last time I played was 2.0, so...)
Yes, exactly.
Macros the Black wrote: Also, I saw that there's a fixed graphic for the blaster where it looks like it's held more like it should be (but there doesn't appear to be one for the rifle). The graphic is in icons.lod and named "RAYGUN1A". Perhaps it can be implemented?
Yes, it will be possible with Paper Doll script of MMExtension.
Macros the Black wrote: And I also noticed that in monsters.txt the Noble Titans were casting "Psychic Shockt,M,18". Not sure if it matters; they seem to have no trouble casting the spell anyways.
The game only checks the 1st word.

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 07 Feb 2021, 14:34

GrayFace wrote:
Macros the Black wrote: And I also noticed that in monsters.txt the Noble Titans were casting "Psychic Shockt,M,18". Not sure if it matters; they seem to have no trouble casting the spell anyways.
The game only checks the 1st word.
Oh right, I should have realized; when you change it to a spell the enemies can't use, the error message also only shows the first word.

Something funny I found is if you set an enemy's movement speed to 100,000 it makes them do jumpscares by instantly teleporting to you and attacking. Kind of fitting for Specters (T3 ghosts). :D
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 10 Feb 2021, 10:09

Macros the Black wrote:Oh right, I should have realized; when you change it to a spell the enemies can't use, the error message also only shows the first word.
The fact the 2nd word exists may still be important, but not the word itself. There's also Ice Bolt/Blast distinction that will be made in upcoming patches.
Macros the Black wrote: Something funny I found is if you set an enemy's movement speed to 100,000 it makes them do jumpscares by instantly teleporting to you and attacking. Kind of fitting for Specters (T3 ghosts). :D
Cool :)

Return to “Might and Magic”