GrayFace MM6 Patch v2.5.7 [Mar 4, 2022]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
siegfried164
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: GrayFace MM6 Patch v2.0 [Sep 21, 2015]

Unread postby siegfried164 » 19 May 2016, 10:47

Greetings, I register to express my thanks to you GrayFace, thank you for still working on these series of Might & Magic games when you didn't have to, words cannot express my appreciation of your efforts and dedication towards.

the beavers1
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby the beavers1 » 01 Dec 2016, 10:22

For some reason my virus scanner is seeing the patch as a virus now, by chance was your site compromised by hackers?
"Rot in Hell You Penny Pinching Miser!"

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 02 Dec 2016, 20:18

No, Windows Defender started detecting old versions of Inno Setup as malware.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 05 Dec 2016, 07:00

Very annoying. I had to turn off Windows Defender to download it. And to think, I was happy to be rid of Norton at least. :disagree:
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

zarcain
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby zarcain » 22 Feb 2017, 08:14

Status effects especially those from the mind magic discipline are notoriously buggy. Some say they only work when not in turn-based mode, but i hate not using turn-based mode. Does the patch fix this issue and if not, is there any chance it will someday?

Thanks for still working on this game. :)

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 24 Feb 2017, 06:29

zarcain wrote:Status effects especially those from the mind magic discipline are notoriously buggy. Some say they only work when not in turn-based mode, but i hate not using turn-based mode. Does the patch fix this issue and if not, is there any chance it will someday?
Just try it. If it doesn't, then what are the issues specifically?
Last edited by GrayFace on 24 Feb 2017, 06:30, edited 1 time in total.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

zarcain
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby zarcain » 24 Feb 2017, 14:40

GrayFace wrote:
zarcain wrote:Status effects especially those from the mind magic discipline are notoriously buggy. Some say they only work when not in turn-based mode, but i hate not using turn-based mode. Does the patch fix this issue and if not, is there any chance it will someday?
Just try it. If it doesn't, then what are the issues specifically?
Thanks for your response. As soon as I have time to test it, I'll give you feedback. :)

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 29 Mar 2017, 23:23

Yo, Grayface, it seems some people experienced problems with music and footstep sound.

Here.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Anubis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Anubis » 24 Jul 2017, 06:33

What does 'Hit Recovery' on Pellinore do? Seems like it's supposed to lower recovery time...but it doesn't?

Anubis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Anubis » 24 Jul 2017, 10:22

Castle Alamos -- In the area where you obtain the memory crystal -- There are two pedestals. One has the crystal on it, and the other, nothing. However, when you hover your mouse on the bowl of the other pedestal, it says 'Exit'.

My dad says that was supposed to take you back to Silver Cove near the stables, but for some reason, it doesn't work anymore.

tomchen1989
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby tomchen1989 » 24 Jul 2017, 22:50

Anubis wrote:Castle Alamos -- In the area where you obtain the memory crystal -- There are two pedestals. One has the crystal on it, and the other, nothing. However, when you hover your mouse on the bowl of the other pedestal, it says 'Exit'.

My dad says that was supposed to take you back to Silver Cove near the stables, but for some reason, it doesn't work anymore.
The teleporter that can send you to the stable in Silver Cove works actually fine, it is located at number 9 on this map: http://www.the-spoiler.com/RPG/New.Worl ... html#iw_ca this teleporter is not activated until you take the memory crystal beta off from its pedestal (number 12).

There is another pedestal in the room that stores the memory crystal, that is the teleporter which doesn't work at all, it was designed to take you somewhere outdoor in Eel Infested Waters.

The mouseover text for the memory crystal beta is "Exit" which is also wrong and should be for the other pedestal (the teleporter to Eel Infested Waters)
Last edited by tomchen1989 on 24 Jul 2017, 22:53, edited 2 times in total.

Vinevi
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Vinevi » 26 Jul 2017, 05:57

Jumping (only on the terrain) and tabbing out while in the windowed mode kills the whole party (as if it keeps counting fall-damage while the game window is not active). It would be also great if we could turn on the character swap function (in the config file or whatever) which was present in the original but was cut out in the patch due to the 5th slot bug and it crashing the game sometimes.

Another strange behavior: again in windowed mode, while moving and pressing ctrl+esc to make the window inactive (you must not release the move button for it to work). In-game movement doesn't stop and it seems that it sometimes ignores the height. (typical pause buffering glitch) You can even cross the water that way, but to do this you need to sort of "jump into it" and pause in mid-air while moving forward :D (you also need feather fall spell here to not kill yourself while pause buffering) There seem to be some kind of invisible boundaries between terrain and water which prevents from crossing it normally from the ground. Some weird stuff may happen if you'd do this on slopes, it gives the ability to cross the mountains like never before.

Another bug: party can rest in the water. It can be abused to evade the DOT from the water if no water walking spell is active. You can't jump in the water in MM6 like you can in 7 and 8 to evade some damage, but this thing if done with the right timing will result in no damage at all. It's also pretty fun to kill the party by resting. *Is it possible to do overflow since we can rest in the water infinitely?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUjDWlIPQOs
Last edited by Vinevi on 31 Jul 2017, 14:11, edited 4 times in total.

Anubis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Anubis » 31 Jul 2017, 07:35

Possible bug: Character has a Lionheart Sword of the Dragon, Lionheart Sword of Darkness, Elite Halberd of the Dragon, and Elite Halberd of Darkness.

If Lionheart Sword of the Dragon/Elite Halberd of Darkness are equipped, recovery time is 35.
If Lionheart Sword of Darkness/Elite Halberd of the Dragon are equipped, recovery time is 27.

Bug?
Last edited by Anubis on 31 Jul 2017, 07:35, edited 1 time in total.

Anubis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Anubis » 31 Jul 2017, 08:21

Another possible bug:

My father says that there is supposed to be a fountain in Kriegspire that grants Magic Resistance but eradicates you in the process. The magic resistance no longer applies.
Last edited by Anubis on 31 Jul 2017, 14:32, edited 1 time in total.

Anubis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Anubis » 31 Jul 2017, 14:31

Another possible bug:

My father says that there is supposed to be a fountain in Kriegspire that grants Magic Resistance but eradicates you in the process.

Upon telling me this, I loaded up a new game and immediately went to Kriegspire to test it - the fountain in question worked for me.

He still claims that when he went to touch that fountain, it just eradicated him, giving him no Magic Resistance whatsoever.

So...does the fountain no longer work after a certain threshold has been reached, whether it be stats, skills, time?

tomchen1989
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby tomchen1989 » 31 Jul 2017, 15:52

Anubis wrote:Another possible bug:

My father says that there is supposed to be a fountain in Kriegspire that grants Magic Resistance but eradicates you in the process.

Upon telling me this, I loaded up a new game and immediately went to Kriegspire to test it - the fountain in question worked for me.

He still claims that when he went to touch that fountain, it just eradicated him, giving him no Magic Resistance whatsoever.

So...does the fountain no longer work after a certain threshold has been reached, whether it be stats, skills, time?
The fountain gives the character 10 magic resistance points permanently and eradicates him at the character's first drink.
After that, it just eradicates him when he drink it.

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 31 Jul 2017, 19:29

Anubis wrote:Possible bug: Character has a Lionheart Sword of the Dragon, Lionheart Sword of Darkness, Elite Halberd of the Dragon, and Elite Halberd of Darkness.

If Lionheart Sword of the Dragon/Elite Halberd of Darkness are equipped, recovery time is 35.
If Lionheart Sword of Darkness/Elite Halberd of the Dragon are equipped, recovery time is 27.

Bug?
This is normal. It will always use the recovery time of the weapon with the slowest base recovery time. Without any skills or enchantments, swords are normally slower than spears. Thus, it uses the recovery time of the sword. Therefore, the Elite Halberd of Darkness does not change your recovery time if you also have a sword equipped because it uses the recovery time of the sword instead.

And in case you are wondering, the reason why your recovery time is 27 instead of 30 is because you have an "of recovery" item equipped, which lowers it by 10% of it's initial value. 10% of 30 is 3. 30-3=27.
Last edited by Macros the Black on 31 Jul 2017, 19:30, edited 1 time in total.
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

Anubis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Anubis » 01 Aug 2017, 04:43

The fountain gives the character 10 magic resistance points permanently and eradicates him at the character's first drink.
After that, it just eradicates him when he drink it.
Indeed. What he is saying, though, is that by the time he drinks from the fountain at Kriegspire, he doesn't get the +10 magic resistance. He's wondering if it's unusable after a certain point in the game, whether it be to skills, stats, time, whatever.

Anubis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Anubis » 02 Aug 2017, 23:29

This is normal. It will always use the recovery time of the weapon with the slowest base recovery time. Without any skills or enchantments, swords are normally slower than spears. Thus, it uses the recovery time of the sword. Therefore, the Elite Halberd of Darkness does not change your recovery time if you also have a sword equipped because it uses the recovery time of the sword instead.

And in case you are wondering, the reason why your recovery time is 27 instead of 30 is because you have an "of recovery" item equipped, which lowers it by 10% of it's initial value. 10% of 30 is 3. 30-3=27.
Wow, that is pretty interesting. I never knew that. Thanks for the detailed explanation. 'Most appreciated!

waltc
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby waltc » 11 Aug 2017, 20:38

Macros the Black wrote:Very annoying. I had to turn off Windows Defender to download it. And to think, I was happy to be rid of Norton at least. :disagree:
Relax...;) You don't have to turn off Defender to stop the fake positive--just list the file it as an exception inside the the Defender GUI, if it's something that keeps popping up after you complete the download. It's perfectly OK to do that--it's exactly *why* the AV/Malware programs allow you to list exceptions in the first place. Some code structures may for some reason appear close enough to a known virus to trigger a red flag--hence, exceptions.

In that vein, the one thing I've noticed about Defender (I use it exclusively now and have for years) in Win10x64 build 16257, my Preview Build of the moment, is that of them all Defender is almost *blessedly* free of false positives--red flags thrown over files that are not dangerous. Seriously, I can count the number of false positives Defender has flagged for me on *one hand*...but I've had so few that I surely don't remember the exact number! IMO that is a good thing! False positives are very annoying, just as you've said.

Defender uses a very non-invasive method to "hook" into the system to sniff out evil wherever it may lurk (I know, corny!) compared to heavy-handed kludge programs like Norton's or the God-awful McAfee's. Programs other than Defender insinuate themselves between the Win GUI and the OS and can as a result really slowing things down--the expression "gummed up the works" originates here I'm certain...

I have many Amiga games, for instance, I have set up with configuration files to run under an emulator allowing me to run them all under the latest build of Win10x64, and it's these files the AV program almost always flags as bad even when they are not--it's just a matter of file structures and what the programmers of the AV program have told it to look for, etc. Lots of times, too, even a harmless file that does nothing but defeat some horrible, ancient DRM copy-protection routine build into a game installer or whatnot is ID'ed as "dangerous" even though it doesn't even *look* like a virus and ceased functioning long ago under later OSes. Those are the notices that sort of tick me off the most, though.

Next time you get a red flag concerning files in and around older game configurations, and you have a few moments, when Defender offers to provide "more info" on the type of virus it has found--let it do so and follow the link. The info is interesting as often you can discern it's really no threat at all by reading up on it. But basically, if you are going to use an AV program I find that Defender is less offensive in terms of false positives and system slow-downs than anything else out there. Just imo, of course. I've seen it bag a few real-nasty humdingers a couple of times--some quite nasty stuff--and the program has done its job and justified its existence completely AFAIC...;)

So..."Don't get Mad, get Glad, sandwich wrap ba"--sorry, wrong commercial...:D
Win10x64
R5 1600 @ 3.8GHz
Radeon RX-480 8GB
16 GB ram
4.2 TB's of storage

Return to “Might and Magic”