M&M 8, what's your favourite race?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Variol
Wraith
Wraith

M&M 8, what's your favourite race?

Unread postby Variol » 08 Jan 2009, 22:39

In a may, this is my fav of the 3. You start solo and can keep it that way all the way through. I've gone solo with a few races. but I think Vampire has been the most fun. It's a little tough without wizard eye and flight etc, but their abilities are great and master level clerical spells obviously help a lot.
There's also the immunity to mind magic! What's that worth!?

You also don't need to split and of the barrels you run across with other party members.

I do get a bit of help from the dragon early on, just for flight and such. Obviously, there's a lot of walking involves as well.

The Dark Elf is pretty fun and fairly easy. The Necro is also good. The fighter classes are pretty tough to play alone though.

Anyway, what are y'alls favs?

Stryfer
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Stryfer » 09 Jan 2009, 00:02

Vampire, definetly! Why? Levitate! Beats the heck out of jumping over those rock blast traps, not to mention the plane of fire level! :D

However, although I can't start with it, I just have to play a dragon. Fire breath, flight, the works. It's power spelled with a D. My favourite party ever was Vampire, Dragon, Dragon, Dragon, Dragon. I like dragons, so sue me! :-D

Asterot
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Asterot » 09 Jan 2009, 00:11

Well, my favorite was a minotaur. Might be funny, but that creature's the only one, who could wield an axe masterfully. Not to mention it can be upgraded with plate armor and given sufficient health via bodylduilding. And since it can't learn a lot of skills on high grades, the XP points could be spent to increase damage or health a lot. And, of course, I love minotaurs, for they are the best creatures fit for the "Hell's Blade" artifact, which happens to be my favourite :D 'tis bad that you have to take a group along, cause it won't be able to withstand all kinds of enemies alone :(

P.S. I completed MM8 three times and never picked up dragons. Just for laughs :-D
"The elements compose a Magnum Opus my modus operandi is amalgam..."

Herry Hardfoot
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Herry Hardfoot » 09 Jan 2009, 00:37

Minotaurs are my favorite too, even though they're the weakest class. I think at least one of the new mods being worked on has minotaur PCs, and I hope they're rebalanced so they can compete better with the other classes.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 09 Jan 2009, 01:12

Stryfer wrote:Vampire, definetly! Why? Levitate! Beats the heck out of jumping over those rock blast traps, not to mention the plane of fire level! :D

However, although I can't start with it, I just have to play a dragon. Fire breath, flight, the works. It's power spelled with a D. My favourite party ever was Vampire, Dragon, Dragon, Dragon, Dragon. I like dragons, so sue me! :-D
Too true!!
I've done the same myself. Dragon really should be a starting class.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 09 Jan 2009, 01:14

Minotaur huh?
I think I started one once, but found it too difficult. Perhaps I need to try again. The upgrade sure must take a long time though, since you can't get to their home till fairly late in the game.

Edit: I think lack of being able to ID stuff with most of the races just drove me nuts.
Is there a way around this, besides going to the shops, or using an NPC?

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 09 Jan 2009, 11:50

I played solo with vampire, necromancer and minotaur. Vampire was very nice. I haven't finished Necromancer because dragons were killed with dark magic way too easy (Shrinking Ray is a killer), I decided to start a new solo game and return to Necromancer later. And.. I dropped the Minotour too, 'cause it was really hard to kill dragons. Killing only one took him whole life and even required additional resting in the dungeon to refill health if it was the highest dragon class. Yes, I forgot to mention that I play without Paralyze wands and don't shoot too much. Like it the hand-to-hand way.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Asterot
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Asterot » 09 Jan 2009, 12:03

A little offtopic, just a thing GrayFace reminded me :)
Once I cleared the dragon dungeon in Garrott Gorge (along with its treasury), with a level 5 party (or 10, if i'm not mistaken) with the help of shooting & paralyze :D I believe that time my starting hero was a minotaur ;|
"The elements compose a Magnum Opus my modus operandi is amalgam..."

Storm-giant
Minotaur
Minotaur

Unread postby Storm-giant » 09 Jan 2009, 16:30

I only made one solo in M&MVIII, it was a dragon solo and then I realise who kick-ass dragons are :devil: . Some red potions(divine cure later) and no problems, killing regnan pirates in dagger wound islands was extremely easy, I killed them dozens of times, while my exp rise up to level 9 :hoo:
And if you asked who can ou played a dragon solo(starting at level I), I downloaded from somewhere like a year ago(try google), thoght with MM8che you can, I think(downloadable HERE) :)

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 09 Jan 2009, 18:00

Storm-giant wrote:I only made one solo in M&MVIII, it was a dragon solo and then I realise who kick-ass dragons are :devil: . Some red potions(divine cure later) and no problems, killing regnan pirates in dagger wound islands was extremely easy, I killed them dozens of times, while my exp rise up to level 9 :hoo:
And if you asked who can ou played a dragon solo(starting at level I), I downloaded from somewhere like a year ago(try google), thoght with MM8che you can, I think(downloadable HERE) :)
I downloaded the one for MM8 and it shows the Save folder, but not the files. Do I need to do something to see this?

Storm-giant
Minotaur
Minotaur

Unread postby Storm-giant » 09 Jan 2009, 18:39

Variol wrote:
Storm-giant wrote:I only made one solo in M&MVIII, it was a dragon solo and then I realise who kick-ass dragons are :devil: . Some red potions(divine cure later) and no problems, killing regnan pirates in dagger wound islands was extremely easy, I killed them dozens of times, while my exp rise up to level 9 :hoo:
I downloaded the one for MM8 and it shows the Save folder, but not the files. Do I need to do something to see this?
Yes, I forgot it has a bug. If I remember correctly, when it's said to open the save game file, for an unknow reason it search on C:\Program Files\3DO\Might and Magic VII, you have to add an ''I'' so it's look like this:''C:\Program Files\3DO\Might and Magic VIII''
Hodge added a readme thought where you can find this explanation ;)

Konfuzius
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Konfuzius » 09 Jan 2009, 18:45

I love the Minotaur too, I loved them already in MM6 and love to play with them in MM8.
They have High HP with M bodybuilding and GM Perception.
But the best I think is that they can learn GM axe and with balthazar or a two hand axe of darkness, they can do a lot of damage.
The only disadvantage is that they can wear no shields, but with 2 rings with +24 the disadvantage is more or less removed ;)

Lichs aren't Bad too, but they don't have the charm of a Minotaur.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 09 Jan 2009, 19:18

Storm-giant wrote:
Variol wrote:
Yes, I forgot it has a bug. If I remember correctly, when it's said to open the save game file, for an unknow reason it search on C:\Program Files\3DO\Might and Magic VII, you have to add an ''I'' so it's look like this:''C:\Program Files\3DO\Might and Magic VIII''
Hodge added a readme thought where you can find this explanation ;)
I went to that directory, but it will not show the files, only the folders. Any ideas?

Storm-giant
Minotaur
Minotaur

Unread postby Storm-giant » 09 Jan 2009, 19:39

@Variol:Try to manualy add the ''I'' when it's loaded MM8che, just click on C:\Program Files\3DO\Might and Magic VII and add the ''I''.don't use the searcher, just add the letter.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 09 Jan 2009, 20:27

It's defaulting to the MM7temp directory, which I have removed, but it still sees it. I just read the readme and it said to only select the MM8 directory, not the save folder. That worked!

Edit: Thanks Storm-giant, this is THE best Christmas gift!!

Now I can give all races the ID skill!

Storm-giant
Minotaur
Minotaur

Unread postby Storm-giant » 09 Jan 2009, 22:37

Glad you like it ;)
And for having the dragon solo, you have to start a game, save once you begin and then with MM8che you open the game and change the portrait, voices and such. Remember to save the changes!!!
And don't be too much cheater, it ends ruining the game(thought it can be fun)

jeff4815
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby jeff4815 » 10 Jan 2009, 04:14

My favourite is the Minotaur and Dragon races. Humans suck.
And there was much rejoicing...
"You want a piece of me?!"
Ithilgore trying to Identify a Dragon: "Haven't seen one before..."

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 16 Jan 2009, 19:14

I'm just using a Troll and I have to say, they are excellent! I spent some time getting rings etc to prevent against stone/paralyze etc since was solo.

I did use the editor to give him ID item. I hate not knowing what the stuff is.

vladimir-maestro
Genie
Genie

Unread postby vladimir-maestro » 16 Jan 2009, 19:52

If there will be a possibility to do a programm that will allow to edit skill tables in MM8...

I will like to create something like:
Necrolithide
Illuminaty
Dark Elf
Sun Elf
Hajit
Lizard
Vampire
You can contact me here:
maestro_mod@yahoo.com
vladud @ yandex.ru - preferred one
---
Site about MODs: http://www.mmgames.ru
---
if you wish to upload some materials for this site - let me know.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 16 Jan 2009, 20:36

vladimir-maestro wrote:If there will be a possibility to do a programm that will allow to edit skill tables in MM8...

I will like to create something like:
Necrolithide
Illuminaty
Dark Elf
Sun Elf
Hajit
Lizard
Vampire
..and as long as they're all necked, vlad will be happy!

Return to “Might and Magic”