MM6, 7, and 8 on Vista?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
BMJedi
Conscript
Conscript

MM6, 7, and 8 on Vista?

Unread postby BMJedi » 14 Dec 2008, 16:05

I am thinking about buying a new computer to play some of the newest games, but I am worried about losing the ability to play Might and Magic when I feel like it.

Can Might and Magic (6,7, and 8) be played on Vista? Are there any compatibility mods like Mok's patch for Vista?

Ed Robinson
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Ed Robinson » 14 Dec 2008, 16:15

I have played 6 through 8 with Vista. You will have to run in compatability mode for XP but no problem beyond that. I did have an issue where 9 wouldn't load but I saw somewhere on this site a work arouns but didn't have enough interest to try it. I think 6 is my favorite.

Good luck!

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 14 Dec 2008, 22:48

Why run Vista if you can have XP? Vista sucker monkey f*ck....
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 14 Dec 2008, 22:54

darknessfood wrote:Why run Vista if you can have XP? Vista sucker monkey f*ck....
Meh, not that bad, but the only real improvements Vista have are:
1) Searching for files is incredibly fast
2) Direct X 10

That's it. Doesn't really justify getting a whole new OS for imo.
But anyway, I do have Vista (couldn't install XP anymore and had a Vista cd laying around) and it runs the games with no problem at all. Don't know what Ed is talking about, I don't have to use compatability mode.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 14 Dec 2008, 22:58

DirctX 10 is overratet, and you can get it for XP as well (they are working on it, or they are finished). And searchin for stuff, I know where my stuff is, because it's MY FREAKING COMPUTER !!!
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 15 Dec 2008, 00:11

darknessfood wrote:DirctX 10 is overratet, and you can get it for XP as well (they are working on it, or they are finished). And searchin for stuff, I know where my stuff is, because it's MY FREAKING COMPUTER !!!
Well, then I stand corrected. There are 0 improvements Vista has over XP. Good going, Microsoft :P

I forgot to mention about that search feature.. It's completely useless to me now, because the only thing I'd use it for is to find a song or artist (kinda hard to keep it all neatly organised when you're up to about 20Gigs of music). However, I keep my music on an external hard drive, and Vista search feature doesn't work for that.. :S
Would be damn useful if it did, but nope.

BMJedi
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BMJedi » 20 Dec 2008, 00:59

Ed Robinson wrote:I have played 6 through 8 with Vista. You will have to run in compatability mode for XP but no problem beyond that. I did have an issue where 9 wouldn't load but I saw somewhere on this site a work arouns but didn't have enough interest to try it. I think 6 is my favorite.

Good luck!
My thanks to all who have answered.

I assume I still need to install Mok's patch and follow the compatibility instructions from the 'Running Might and Magic on XP' section of this forum?

Druid84
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Druid84 » 22 Dec 2008, 06:56

BMJedi wrote:
Ed Robinson wrote:I have played 6 through 8 with Vista. You will have to run in compatability mode for XP but no problem beyond that. I did have an issue where 9 wouldn't load but I saw somewhere on this site a work arouns but didn't have enough interest to try it. I think 6 is my favorite.

Good luck!
My thanks to all who have answered.

I assume I still need to install Mok's patch and follow the compatibility instructions from the 'Running Might and Magic on XP' section of this forum?
I have tried MM6 on Vista Home Premium 32-bit, and it worked right away. Just install and run :)

I have now ordered Vista Home Premium 64-bit (so I can use more than 3GB of ram), and i will notify if there is any problems running MM6-8 :)

seancdaug
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby seancdaug » 07 Jan 2009, 21:40

I'm running Vista Business x64, since it feels like a waste not to. I just purchased a new computer with 6 GB RAM, and I hate to let than extra 2 GB go to waste.

That said, there are definitely some features I like about Vista, particularly the Games Explorer. I've installed and run the entire Might and Magic series (including the Heroes games) there, and they seem to work fine, with one major and two minor exceptions. The only one of these that has to do with MM6-8 is that MM7 will crash if you let it finish the introductory 3DO video. If you ESC through it, though, there don't seem to be any problems.

Now, Heroes of Might and Magic IV is another story.... :(

Return to “Might and Magic”