MM8 Mod?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).

Moderator: Moderators

Deyja

Postby Deyja » Dec 5 2008, 18:19

vladimir-maestro wrote:MM8 do not have proper Zombie sprite :D


That's probably because of the dragon, thy just could not make a zombie dragon paperdoll so thats way thy the eliminated this spell ability :mad: :beheading: :hanged: :rip: :jester:

User avatar
Vector
Pixie
Pixie
Posts: 118
Joined: 30 Sep 2006
Location: United States
Contact:

Postby Vector » Dec 5 2008, 19:39

MM8 has a couple of perks, but in my opinion, has a LOT of downsides. The only perk it has for modding is its' Bitmaps and Icons LOD files; they are all unique for the most part. They have lots of potential to completely change the way the game looks. In MM6 or MM7, if you do not know what you are doing, you can change one texture in the Bitmaps LOD file and thus end up changing textures for all sorts of items in game. For example, if one were to change the texture of a wall, that same texture could also be used as a floor texture, roof texture, chest texture, another wall texture for a different dungeon, and many more. MM8 is not like that and much easier to work with.

The downside however is its' small size, the game in my opinion is very 'compact.' Though you do have multiple ways to play, the dungeons and regions are all very small. MM6 would be the best to MOD if it wasn't so linear in game play; you only have a handful of ways to make a modification. MM7 is a nice mix of MM6 and MM8.

This is only my opinion, I'm sure many of you could disagree with me.

Stryfer
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 46
Joined: 17 Nov 2008

Postby Stryfer » Dec 6 2008, 0:59

I don't know...yea I don't like short games, but when it comes to MM the word "replay" comes to mind a lot. I think it's much better to have a slightly smaller world if we are talking replay. MM8 is the only game I acctually had fun playing over and over again.
Whenever I tried the others (esspecially MM6) I kept thinking "Oh my God! Not this again!" Most of the areas are large, but great size = great tediousness.
I personally like the fact that MM8 is more compact and I spend less time traveling and more time acctually doing something productive...which isn't killing hordes of annoying monsters for small amounts of exp.

To this day I really can't understand why I find MM8 to be my favourite...nor what I'm failing to see in MM7 that makes it so glamorous, or why everyone likes the MM6 characters when they just look really ugly to me...(or is it the sprites of the peasents everyone likes? I might have these two confused :S )

User avatar
Templayer
Devil
Devil
Posts: 1322
Joined: 21 Jan 2013

Postby Templayer » Jan 21 2013, 16:55

Hi guys ! First posting here !

;|

I "made a mod" for MM8. Only a small one. It allows you to use the creation screen in MM8 to create all five characters instead of one, that means the good old MM6+7 style, instead of the crappy hireling system I hate in MM8.

It's not much of a mod really, more of an easy tutorial, made so everyone can do it. Also, I did some weird crap for fun - there are class and race values in the save files of MM8, pretty much as the MM7, but in MM8, both values are the same ... if you change them ... then you can have, for example, a Dark Elf Necromancer, or a Minotaur Knight. I simply found that being awesome :D

Here is the result / my walkthrough of my modded / custom party MM8
(I wanted to use a SPOILER text function to hide the link the way it works on some other forums, but there is no option like that here, so I will just put it in URL function. I hope that is the right way to do it in this forum)

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL632B834BA66627C6

Here is the tutorial:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6777C49C7588115A

Both should be double-language (English + czech)
Also made some text commentary by using the Closed Captions CC subtitles on youtube, they should pop out automatically, if not, then check the vids description on how to enable them. If they are available.

User avatar
vladimir-maestro
Archmage
Archmage
Posts: 973
Joined: 19 Jun 2008

Postby vladimir-maestro » Jan 21 2013, 20:05

Templayer wrote:Hi guys ! First posting here !

;|

I "made a mod" for MM8. Only a small one. It allows you to use the creation screen in MM8 to create all five characters instead of one, that means the good old MM6+7 style, instead of the crappy hireling system I hate in MM8.


all this was done about 3 months ago.
see grayfaces's patches.

generates full party and allow add dragons at the begining
You can contact me here:
maestro_mod@yahoo.com
---
Site about MODs: http://www.mmgames.ru
---
if you wish to upload some materials for this site - let me know.

User avatar
Templayer
Devil
Devil
Posts: 1322
Joined: 21 Jan 2013

Postby Templayer » Jan 21 2013, 20:33

vladimir-maestro wrote:
Templayer wrote:Hi guys ! First posting here !

;|

I "made a mod" for MM8. Only a small one. It allows you to use the creation screen in MM8 to create all five characters instead of one, that means the good old MM6+7 style, instead of the crappy hireling system I hate in MM8.


all this was done about 3 months ago.
see grayfaces's patches.

generates full party and allow add dragons at the begining


The date of my videos goes like 26. 08. 2011, so I was probably the one giving him the idea :D :D

But yes, now I read the latest Grayface's patch thingies and he did it in a better way.

One question though - can he make a Minotaur Priest? A minotaur Knight? Using his script ? OR A MINOTAUR NECROMANCER ! xD

It is possible by using my way and it is fun to do :D
My party was a Vampire Dark Elf, a Skeleton Knight, a Dark Elf Cleric, a human Necromancer and a dragon.

The sprite limitation still apply, so if race is set to Minotaur, then you can't have boots or helmets, if you are a dragon, then you can't equip anything. MINOTAUR KNIGHT ! I think I made a point ! xD xD xD

User avatar
Variol
Pit Lord
Pit Lord
Posts: 1249
Joined: 05 Sep 2008

Postby Variol » Jan 21 2013, 21:19

So, where does one download the mod?? Sounds interesting.

MM8 was the best, simply for the reason of soloing! But, If I can have a few of the same characters, that might be fun! :)

User avatar
Templayer
Devil
Devil
Posts: 1322
Joined: 21 Jan 2013

Postby Templayer » Jan 21 2013, 21:32

Variol wrote:So, where does one download the mod?? Sounds interesting.

MM8 was the best, simply for the reason of soloing! But, If I can have a few of the same characters, that might be fun! :)


Check my first post, to be precise the part labelled Tutorial with the youtube link. There - just watch all parts of the tutorial and you will know. :D

User avatar
GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 1516
Joined: 29 Nov 2005

Postby GrayFace » Jan 22 2013, 22:35

vladimir-maestro wrote:generates full party and allow add dragons at the begining

The second dragons selection isn't functional yet. I still haven't got round to fixing that.

Templayer wrote:The date of my videos goes like 26. 08. 2011, so I was probably the one giving him the idea :D :D

No, I suspect you got the idea before that by reading my mind. Or was it someone else's mind?

Templayer wrote:One question though - can he make a Minotaur Priest? A minotaur Knight? Using his script ? OR A MINOTAUR NECROMANCER ! xD

No, just the regular classes.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

User avatar
Templayer
Devil
Devil
Posts: 1322
Joined: 21 Jan 2013

Postby Templayer » Jan 23 2013, 10:36

GrayFace wrote:
Templayer wrote:One question though - can he make a Minotaur Priest? A minotaur Knight? Using his script ? OR A MINOTAUR NECROMANCER ! xD

No, just the regular classes.


Well, you can by using my method ! :D

User avatar
Variol
Pit Lord
Pit Lord
Posts: 1249
Joined: 05 Sep 2008

Postby Variol » Jan 23 2013, 20:25

I saw you typing something that was too hard to read. Then I saw you scrolling through all of the characters. I don't see how that's a "mod"??

User avatar
Templayer
Devil
Devil
Posts: 1322
Joined: 21 Jan 2013

Postby Templayer » Jan 23 2013, 23:32

Variol wrote:I saw you typing something that was too hard to read. Then I saw you scrolling through all of the characters. I don't see how that's a "mod"??


First off - it has like 4 parts. Second thing - there is a quality button at the lower right corner of youtube player window. Select it, choose HD, profit. It is possible to read afterwards.

It is not a mod, it is just a step by step tutorial of printscreening the character creation screen for all the characters you want, then using a savegame editor to add the characters to your save game.

By the way I have never seen somebody not knowing how to use youtube properly. :|

User avatar
Variol
Pit Lord
Pit Lord
Posts: 1249
Joined: 05 Sep 2008

Postby Variol » Jan 24 2013, 1:56

I've never seen anybody use youtube to type something. :|

User avatar
Templayer
Devil
Devil
Posts: 1322
Joined: 21 Jan 2013

Postby Templayer » Jan 24 2013, 6:08

Variol wrote:I've never seen anybody use youtube to type something. :|


I didn't use it to type something, but to show something.

WTF are you? First off, you don't know how to click links. Then you don't how, how to play youtube videos. And then you probably fail at watching it entirely.

If you don't know how to do things, google them.

I suposse I made the video so even a totally retarded person could manage and use the savegame editor to create a full party, but looks like it is still hard to do for some people.

Anyway, let's not spam this thread with your questions, if you have any more, ask them to my email adress ( Templayer@seznam.cz ). If you don't know what email is, then google it. :|

User avatar
GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 1516
Joined: 29 Nov 2005

Postby GrayFace » Jan 24 2013, 11:16

For the record, you failed to include the editor download link, to use some native YouTube way of showing text instead of notepad, like captions or comments section, and most importantly, failed to behave appropriately.
Back on topic, it would probably be easier to use my party generation mod and then change character portraits to have a minotaur cleric or fire-breathing troll :D I'm saying "probably" because it involves unpacking MMExt and running the party selection mod installator.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

User avatar
Templayer
Devil
Devil
Posts: 1322
Joined: 21 Jan 2013

Postby Templayer » Jan 24 2013, 11:47

GrayFace wrote:For the record, you failed to include the editor download link, to use some native YouTube way of showing text instead of notepad, like captions or comments section, and most importantly, failed to behave appropriately.
Back on topic, it would probably be easier to use my party generation mod and then change character portraits to have a minotaur cleric or fire-breathing troll :D I'm saying "probably" because it involves unpacking MMExt and running the party selection mod installator.


You know ... I have over 1600 videos on youtube. Most of my videos have text commentary using the interactive CC subtitles and annotations. Yet some people have turned those defaultly off and then they ask "Where is the commentary". So I made it directly into the video. And now people don't know 360p is hardly readible, 480p is readable, 720p is almost lossless (I can make it so ... and yes you can have a lossless quality for an eye with a high compression rate)


Return to “Might and Magic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests