Progress through Maestro's Mod

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
vladimir-maestro
Genie
Genie

Unread postby vladimir-maestro » 02 Dec 2008, 21:05

Paper dolls were created first. Than faces were generated.
It was hard to reproduce exact faces from paper dolls because I have some problems with 3D girl - computer refuse to work with saved files of this girl - thats why I tried to do maximal similar appearance but not all the time succesfully.

About wrong equipments - please post a screenshot.

About throable weapons:
It could be done. Sometimes bows are stronger...but imagine that thief is a grand in daggers - he can shot 2 times with chance of triple damage.

About hurry:
If I will not complete work till 20-25 December - I will dissapear for about 2-3 weeks.
You can contact me here:
maestro_mod@yahoo.com
vladud @ yandex.ru - preferred one
---
Site about MODs: http://www.mmgames.ru
---
if you wish to upload some materials for this site - let me know.

Captain Emo
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Captain Emo » 02 Dec 2008, 21:37

Paper dolls were created first. Than faces were generated.
It was hard to reproduce exact faces from paper dolls because I have some problems with 3D girl - computer refuse to work with saved files of this girl - thats why I tried to do maximal similar appearance but not all the time succesfully.
But in the most cases it was very successful. :D

About the pictures:
I have mailed them to you.

About throwable weapons:
Hmm that's right, but only for daggers.
I have to say, that in the most cases the new throwable weapons aren't good compared to bows. But maybe I haven't found the real good ones yet. ^^

About hurry:
The decision is up to you.
For me would it be Ok, when the final version is released in the next year.
Maybe you can bring a patch first for us here, so we can test if everything you have changed so far is ok, before make a final version.

bungleau
Scout
Scout

Unread postby bungleau » 03 Dec 2008, 03:41

As you know, I'm still working through things. A couple of things to mention...
  1. Bow damage - Recurve bows are cheap and so far, the best bows. Others do more damage, but at twice the inventory space. That's important because in BDJ's mod, it's a good idea to care a backup bow for when they're too close... ;) I suggest reviewing the damage and GP values to make sure they're in line.
  2. Image sizes - some of the new images are smaller than their actual inventory sizes. I suggest either changing the size or the image. I'll try to make a list.
  3. Some documentation - what are the new classes good for, how do the new skills work, and so on. I'm handy with that sort of thing - if you want to send me notes, I can put something together. I just don't want to compile it...
  4. I'm not sure if this is on purpose or not, but many of the "classic" rings and amulets have new names... but they're the old names, shifted. I'll try to write down some examples... if it's possible to put the "visual" ones back, I'd vote for it. For example, they eyeball amulet isn't the eyeball... that's something else.
More after I kill (or get killed by) some spiders...
*B*
Save early, save often, save before, save after

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 03 Dec 2008, 14:43

Yeah, it would be nice know what the point of using a Dragon, when their stats are that of a Dwarf?

Why am I using Alchemists? What's their advantage?

Big Daddy Jim
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Big Daddy Jim » 03 Dec 2008, 15:46

Variol wrote:Yeah, it would be nice know what the point of using a Dragon, when their stats are that of a Dwarf?

You may not be able to survive The Lincoln without the proper potions. Hence, an alchemist could be very helpful before entering there.

BDJ
"BDJ the Coding Wizard has moved out of the Coding Fortress, has retired from Might & Magic game modification, and now lives a peaceful life in Alto Lino, Republic de Panama.

http://www.mediafire.com/BDJs

Herry Hardfoot
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Herry Hardfoot » 03 Dec 2008, 17:53

Variol wrote:Yeah, it would be nice know what the point of using a Dragon, when their stats are that of a Dwarf?

I think the point of the new races is purely aesthetic--aren't you tired of seeing the same old faces and graphics after years of playing MM? I'll play a drake just because it's cool and looks like a lizardman, which I wish had been one of the playable races in MM8.

Alchemists have some unusual abilities, such as being able to GM the Repair skill from birth, which is handy in this super-powered, super-monstered game.

Different subject--another monster to add to the list of children attacking their parents (or is it another case of chain-reaction berserking? and are the two problems linked?):

Earth Elementals in the White Cliff Caves. The single Berserk spell I cast seemingly caused all the Elementals in the Caves to attack each other endlessly (meaning, if the spell caused it, it never wore off).

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 03 Dec 2008, 18:00

I really don't care how they look. I want to "be" different. Give the Drake some big stats in some areas and have it suck in others. Make it a melee fighter only; kinda like MM8
That's much better than window dressing.

Make the Drow automatically have a light spell indoors, as though he has infra vision; when he is the active character.

Stuff like that makes it new; if possible.

vladimir-maestro
Genie
Genie

Unread postby vladimir-maestro » 03 Dec 2008, 19:36

MM7 is not a D&D game!
Maybe it is possible to do something like that...I guess only MMX team can answer this question. But MM7 has got none other spells\abilities that were coded in it. There are only 9 schools of magic.

And there are no pasive race abilities. Even merchant skill affect only the player who knows it and do not affect whole party. I'm finding this rather stupid :devious:

So you cannot have "night vision" on Drows.
---------------
MM8 is better game with more races! I wish Trolls to be replaced with Lizardmen ;)
---------------
Fixed all monsters, summons, added some stuff (maybe very interesting). All monsters now will drop 50% less gold - you'll have to hunt for gold
Do items revision...
Thanks to BDJ who fixed summoning problems
You can contact me here:
maestro_mod@yahoo.com
vladud @ yandex.ru - preferred one
---
Site about MODs: http://www.mmgames.ru
---
if you wish to upload some materials for this site - let me know.

Big Daddy Jim
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Big Daddy Jim » 03 Dec 2008, 20:46

vladimir-maestro wrote:MM8 is better game with more races! I wish Trolls to be replaced with Lizardmen ;)
---------------

Thanks to BDJ who fixed summoning problems
My pleasure, Maestro! :tsup:

Hopefully, I got all of the problematic map areas. Time will tell.

BDJ
"BDJ the Coding Wizard has moved out of the Coding Fortress, has retired from Might & Magic game modification, and now lives a peaceful life in Alto Lino, Republic de Panama.

Big Daddy Jim
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Big Daddy Jim » 03 Dec 2008, 20:57

White Cliff Caves

And speaking of 'summoned' creatures. You might have noticed that the Elementals and the Trolls are fighting each other. This is perfectly 'normal' and in keeping with the Rev4 mod storyline.

"A ways outside of Harmondale there's a cave system called the White Cliff Caves. The entrance has been magically warded for as long as I can remember. Recently, the Mad Mage Pascal, Diviner of Strange Flesh, has removed the ward and sent an entire army of Trolls into the cave. Travelers report that they have heard sounds of a fierce battle being waged near the entrance. I'd avoid that area, if I were you!"

"Retrieve the Watcher's Ring of Elemental Earth and then we’ll discuss promotions. The Ring is guarded by Greckaw, Hurler of Mountains, a powerful Earth Elemental who dwells in the White Cliff Caves in Harmondale.

Be extremely cautious when you enter this cave, children. The Mad Mage Pascal, Diviner of Strange Flesh has sent his army of Trolls to take this ring by force, and a battle rages between Greckaw’s minions and these invaders. You would do well to let them fight it out and then kill the survivors. But make no mistake, young ones, either side will turn on you in a heartbeat!

Make sure you have some healing potents with you. You’ll need them!"

So don't Worry, be Happy! :lolu:

BDJ

Captain Emo
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Captain Emo » 03 Dec 2008, 23:24

Hmm the items in the White Cliff Caves sucks, compared to the monster level.

Sorry, can't imagine how night vision will work in Might and Magic.
Maybe something like a constant torch spell?

DarthVadre
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby DarthVadre » 03 Dec 2008, 23:28

vladimir-maestro wrote:MM8 is better game with more races! I wish Trolls to be replaced with Lizardmen ;)
I've always wanted to play a peasant game starting out as a lizardman on Daggerwound Islands. Or a Regnan pirate. That would be fun
Your perception determines your experience.

Big Daddy Jim
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Big Daddy Jim » 04 Dec 2008, 15:09

Use the Proper Tool to get the job done!

'nough said?

BDJ

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 04 Dec 2008, 17:52

Nice!
..Perfect bow needed some perfecting!

Herry Hardfoot
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Herry Hardfoot » 04 Dec 2008, 18:39

Big Daddy Jim wrote:White Cliff Caves

And speaking of 'summoned' creatures. You might have noticed that the Elementals and the Trolls are fighting each other. This is perfectly 'normal' and in keeping with the Rev4 mod storyline.

BDJ
The Elemental-Troll fight proceeded the way it is supposed to, as far as I could tell. After all the Trolls were dead, the Elementals started shooting each other (to no effect) and ignoring me, allowing me to pick them off one by one with bows. I had cast Berserk on one of them, which may be what triggered the free-for-all. Someone else here reported the same thing happening with the Troglodytes below Stone City, when he cast Berserk on one or more of them. I don't know if the chain-reaction berserking is related to the monsters' added summoning abilities or not.

This is all probably a moot point--it sounds like you and Vladimir have already fixed the summoning problems, though I don't know if you can do that globally, or if it has to be area by area, or by individual monster types. I just didn't want to leave any little problems unmentioned, since Vladimir wants to finish the final patch soon.

Big Daddy Jim
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Big Daddy Jim » 04 Dec 2008, 20:20

Herry Hardfoot wrote:
This is all probably a moot point--it sounds like you and Vladimir have already fixed the summoning problems, though I don't know if you can do that globally, or if it has to be area by area, or by individual monster types. I just didn't want to leave any little problems unmentioned, since Vladimir wants to finish the final patch soon.
Herry,

The 'fix', unforunately, is not global. It is map-by-map, spawn-by-spawn, and requires a Hex Editor to perform and a careful play testing to validate.

I have 'fixed' Stone City for The Maestro, but have not addressed Whitecliff. Fixing the 'caves' is somewhat 'labor intensive' but I'll have a-go at it. Thanks for the report.

BDJ

Big Daddy Jim
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Big Daddy Jim » 04 Dec 2008, 20:26

Variol wrote:Nice!
I agree!

However, did you notice The Slayer? It is by far the best missile weapon I found in "The Game"

The Slayer

Shoot: +36
Damage: 18D18+36

Now that's missile power! :applause:

BDJ

bungleau
Scout
Scout

Unread postby bungleau » 04 Dec 2008, 20:42

Big Daddy Jim wrote:
Variol wrote:Nice!
I agree!

However, did you notice The Slayer? It is by far the best missile weapon I found in "The Game"

The Slayer

Shoot: +36
Damage: 18D18+36

Now that's missile power! :applause:

BDJ
I somehow lost yet another post... my response was "WTF!!!! It's a *MISSILE* weapon????"

*THAT* will replace a bow of carnage in a heartbeat...
*B*

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 04 Dec 2008, 21:04

Unless the carnage bows have been improved, they were pretty lousy anyway.

bungleau
Scout
Scout

Unread postby bungleau » 04 Dec 2008, 21:07

As a bow, perhaps. Not a whole lot of damage.

As an endless fireball launcher... a bottomless roman candle, if you will... not bad. And when everyone has one? Priceless.

Unless you get too close, of course, and get caught in the backlash. Then it hurts... :(
*B*

Return to “Might and Magic”