Four knights team - possible?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
koval321
War Dancer
War Dancer

Four knights team - possible?

Unread postby koval321 » 16 Nov 2008, 08:35

After finish MM7 i tryed play again with higher dificulty level using four knights team. After some hours i deicided to take one palladin, which was leader of team (one holy knight and three usual knights) Now this become possible, because without any healer its really hard. Using this team i killed some dragons and titans, because i buy magic rods. I even killed first dragon from cave using just bows. My tactic was to run around dragon, quick shoot and run again, then after some hits save game. Unless near game end there is too much dragons, hydras and stuff. So am not sure its possible to win game this way. As i known in MM4-5 using knights could be possible because they got at high levels many hits in one round and with strenght and obsidian weapon he could kill dragons very easy. But now am talking about MM6 and MM7 (well already i will probably try to finish MM6 using 4 knights) Tell me if someone tryed this, and how you think about possible chances, tactics, ideas how win game this way. (and am not crazy maniac, game is really different with such style, believe me)

vladimir-maestro
Genie
Genie

Unread postby vladimir-maestro » 16 Nov 2008, 08:43

The difficult of this game is special effects that monsters use time-to-time.
So titan can kill with a hit, Robert\Tolberti - turn to ashes. So you need a protection from this statuses. If there will be not so rude statuses - it is possible.

Enter the area, kill some monsters - run away, rest, heals. You can also use antimagical scrolls, Effect potions (bles,s water breath, heroism...). Also 2 healers NPC will be good too, Or 1 NPC who will cook food for the party.

Party from 4 knights is possible, but you will have to use items that you do not used with ordinary party - scrolls, wands...

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 18 Nov 2008, 17:26

It's very hard, yes, but it is possible. In fact, while browsing information for Might and Magic 6 a while ago I came across the website of someone who has actually played through all three games (MM6, 7 and 8) with only one Knight. I can't seem to find the website atm, though.

Conventional logic tells me that the biggest problems you'll face are enemies who can cause conditions. That includes, but is not limited to, Werewolves (instant unconciousness), Minotaurs (instant death), Patrol Units (instant incineration), Medusae (instant stoned), Gargoyles (instant Paralyzation), etc... Those are the biggest concerns as you will probably have no way to really counter them.

Other concerns are such simple things as places where you need a certain spell to get to (Jump, Water Walk, Fly, Telekenises..). Can be countered easily with scrolls.

Then there's the regular conditions such as Poison, Disease, Sleep, Insane, etc.. They all suck, and only some of them can be countered with potions. The rest will be an incredible pain in the arse (Castle Darkmoor will literally drive you insane).

Then there's also the Oozes and Gargoyles. You'll need wands to kill those. But don't worry, they're the only enemies who are immune to physical.

Another problem is your lack of damage dealt. This will be especially annoying in the end game.

Lets not forget the lack of utility spells: torch light, wizard eye, fly in particular. More importantly: no Lloyd's Beacon or Town Portal. Those spells are pretty much needed in MM6 to complete the horrible endgame dungeons (except, of course, the Hive where this is disabled).

Lastly, you do have one good thing: lots and lots of HP. Not that it matters when you get insta-killed by a minotaur, of course...

Yes, it's doable, but it's not so much a challenge as it is a pain in the ass. I suggest you consider wether or not those bragging rights are worth it..

Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Sure Valla » 04 Apr 2009, 17:05

Nah you are not an crazy maniac, i am! playing it with 4 rangers!

yes its posible. and not hard! only in mm6. because you dont have armsmaster. i did it twice in mm7. and once in mm8

i got pics of the endings if you dont believe me ;)

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 04 Apr 2009, 17:16

Heh yeah, since my last post in this thread I finished a game of one minotaur in MM8. So yep, totally possible, and fun too :)

Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Sure Valla » 04 Apr 2009, 17:17

Macros the Black wrote:Heh yeah, since my last post in this thread I finished a game of one minotaur in MM8. So yep, totally possible, and fun too :)
one Minataur and no other followers?

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 04 Apr 2009, 22:02

Yep. Except for the cleric and the troll that you need to have in your party for some quests. It involves alot of resting until you finally can get some good wands in the shops alot of the time. Especially at the beginning of the game, you will have too few enemies to kill to get enough experience to be able to win most fights normally so you need to have wands and such before you can get some decent fighting skills. And even after that, you still need lots of wands to use for hard fights. You can get by without spells like wizard eye or torch light, though.
And some dirty tricks are needed to get past certain parts of the game, lots of running through and ignoring stuff at the end. Save as soon as you get past a part, etc.

The biggest problem is the lack of inventory space. For most of the game, you will need to clear a dungeon first and then afterwards pillage it because the wands and potions you need to carry take up all your space.

Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Sure Valla » 05 Apr 2009, 08:25

Interessting i have to try it some times ;)

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 05 Apr 2009, 11:20

In MM8 temple donations ease things a lot in the beginning. Hidden chests with artifacts are of great help too. And don't forget chests in dragons' dungeons. Playing with a single knight I found the vampiric spear artifact in Revenshore hidden chest, so the game was easy. However, I cheated to cast Protection From Magic in Ravege Roaming to fight with Gorgons. In the end my knight had 41 + 19 bonus Armsmaster skill.
BTW, it's funny that playing with Lich you can get skill of 60 (the absolute maximum) in Learning and 40 + 20 in Dark magic. With this skill in Dark almost any monster is killed with a single Shrapmetal shot.
Macros the Black wrote:The biggest problem is the lack of inventory space.
Not really a big problem. You don't need money in fighters solo games, so you can keep only those items that you can need. Money is always enough. (in Lich solo game you do need some money to train him to level 200 due to his Learning skill)
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 05 Apr 2009, 17:42

The Minotaur can't learn even basic Identify Item, and there are no NPC helpers in MM8, so you need to take every potentially good item with you to get it identified.
Not to mention your inventory will already be almost full with wands and potions for various uses.

Indeed, money is not a problem though so alot can be left behind.

Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Sure Valla » 05 Apr 2009, 17:47

But koval,

here's my proof :proud:
Last edited by Sure Valla on 17 Apr 2013, 20:40, edited 1 time in total.

Deadguy118
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Deadguy118 » 05 Apr 2009, 19:21

As SureValla has proven, a Knight only run is possible in M&M VII, where Magic isn't quite as important and NPC hirelings can make up for deficiencies in the party. But M&M VI would be a nightmare, because of how weak knights are late-game and all the insta-kill enemies (werewolves, minotaurs).

Either way, I don't think I will try one of these runs because I lack the time and the dedication to see something like that through.
Back from the dead? Maybe.

Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Sure Valla » 06 Apr 2009, 14:08

in mm6 dont try it but at mm7 its worth it!

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 07 Apr 2009, 18:10

I'll definitely try it in MM6. I'm sure it won't be too hard.
Macros the Black wrote:Not to mention your inventory will already be almost full with wands and potions for various uses.
Then this is the difference. I don't use wands and almost never use potions.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Sure Valla » 08 Apr 2009, 10:13

GrayFace wrote:I'll definitely try it in MM6. I'm sure it won't be too hard.
Well goodluck and after that, try 4 rangers in mm7 :proud:

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 12 Apr 2009, 15:17

Does Luck Stat play a role against special attack like flesh-to-stone and finger-of-death?

Feistygandhi
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Feistygandhi » 12 Apr 2009, 15:56

I played 4 knights in MM7 and loved it. By the time I got to the Titans' Stronghold, I could run up and beat the dragons to death. Unfortunately, the titans were more of a problem, especially the blood titans.

I specialized each knight differently, just for fun. My first knight had tons of speed and 2 swords, second had accuracy with a spear and sword, third one had lots of endurance and a sword and shield, last had might and a 2-handed sword.

anyway, it was loads of fun and i would highly recommend trying it. just remember to save and rest a lot.

Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Sure Valla » 12 Apr 2009, 16:31

tolich wrote:Does Luck Stat play a role against special attack like flesh-to-stone and finger-of-death?
Yes it does

And speed also i think

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 12 Apr 2009, 21:32

The only thing I know for sure that Luck does is increase your resistances (it doesn't display this, however).

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 13 Apr 2009, 06:21

Yes, and resistances effect probability of such things to happen.

Return to “Might and Magic”