Needed GM skills in MM9?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Boleyn
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Needed GM skills in MM9?

Unread postby Boleyn » 11 Feb 2006, 21:02

Hi Guys, just wondering if anyone can tell me the GM non combat/magic skills that are needed in MM9 in this order:

a)Essential
b)Needed
c)Master will suffice

Generally speaking I like to get GM in ID Item, Merchant, Repair, Detect & Perception plus all GM magic schools.

I dont need class advice as thats part of the fun for me weighing up the pro's and Cons but if I could get some advice on skills that must be GM so I can make my own informed choice.

Many Thanks.

Marelt Ekiran
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Marelt Ekiran » 11 Feb 2006, 23:03

I'll list all the accessory skills with my personal opinion on them.

Armsmaster:
An absolute must for all Might characters. Get this skill as high as you can get it. The party as a whole will function just fine without it, but it makes your might characters so much better.

Disarm Trap:
Master level with an item that boosts this skill is usually enough to open about anything that you'll encounter in the game. But if you want to be certain and have an assasin available, you might as well boost it to GM.

ID item:
I don't think that I have ever encountered anything that could not be identified with Master level and a boost from an item. Even Expert level will serve you well for most of the game... so in my opinion, boosting this skill to GM is a waste of skill point. If you ever encounter something that you can't identify anyway, you're probably so far into the game that identification is only a Town Portal spell away.

Identify Monster:
I finished the game several times just fine, without this skill at all. If you do want to know the Monster's statistics, though, then you might as well go for GM level to get the important bits of information. The skill is somewhat useful here, because unlike previous game, monsters no longer show a health bar if you click on them without this skill

Item Repair:
Same story as the ID item skill. Master will probably do... Although GM may be slightly more important, in case an artifact breaks on the journey.

Learning:
Although people often overlook it, this is the most powerful skill in the game. At GM level, your characters get at least 6 times more XP than characters without the skill. One time, I finished the game with a party that had level a level 50 Druid and Priest (with Expert Learning) and a level 110 Lich (with GM Learning). This is just to illustrate how useful this skill is, so make sure you boost it as high as you can. GM is best.

Merchant:
One of the better skills to have at GM, because you buy and sell at cost. This can be very useful for selling expensive items and for buying unenchanted items, enchanting them (with the Enchant Item spell) and then selling them back for a profit (or keeping them if you like the enchantment).

Perception:
Expert or Master will usually do. I have never really bothered with this skill, although it's nice to have a bit of rank in it, so that you you can see traps and their likes... But I think that GM would be a waste of skill points.

Body Building and Mediation:
Extra HP or MP is always a good thing to have. How many skill points you want to invest is up to you. If you have skill points to spare, it's usually a good idea to get these skills as high as you can.

Boleyn
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Boleyn » 13 Feb 2006, 10:29

Great, Thank You :)

Return to “Might and Magic”