Project blacksmith

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
koval321
War Dancer
War Dancer
Posts: 366
Joined: 20 Jan 2008

Project blacksmith

Postby koval321 » Aug 27 2008, 13:17

Its not exacly mod but source of new graphics for M&M modifications. I will modify items from M&M 6-8 and made some brand new stuff. In download section you may get pictures in bmp256 format, also very usefull tool MM7view (it works also for MM8)

http://koval321.blogspot.com/

(am not sure how often, but this site will be updated to new graphics)
Last edited by koval321 on Aug 28 2008, 6:29, edited 1 time in total.

Sendoh
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 40
Joined: 06 Jul 2008

Postby Sendoh » Aug 27 2008, 15:59

i still damn would like to know how to set the dropped item levels in dungeons :(

User avatar
Vector
Pixie
Pixie
Posts: 118
Joined: 30 Sep 2006
Location: United States
Contact:

Postby Vector » Aug 29 2008, 15:57

Those are pretty nice! I like how you made so many variations using only a couple of original ones from the game. Nicely done!

kognefaure
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 29
Joined: 14 Feb 2008

Postby kognefaure » Sep 23 2008, 17:11

Everything is kick-ass, particularly the axes and spears! Good job

User avatar
arturchix
Titan
Titan
Posts: 1351
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: Latvia

Postby arturchix » Sep 24 2008, 8:46

Great stuff! I find it odd though that the first modifications appear basically 10 years after the game was released. :devious:

It would be cool if all of the current modders would unit their efforts into one project.

User avatar
motter28218
Pixie
Pixie
Posts: 118
Joined: 30 Sep 2007

Postby motter28218 » Sep 30 2008, 14:14

Sendoh wrote:i still damn would like to know how to set the dropped item levels in dungeons :(


What exactly do you mean by that Sendoh? Do you mean placing a relic/artifact on a particular monster or in a chest or somewhere on the ground? You can do this with hex editing.

User avatar
Vector
Pixie
Pixie
Posts: 118
Joined: 30 Sep 2006
Location: United States
Contact:

Postby Vector » Sep 30 2008, 15:42

motter28218 wrote:
Sendoh wrote:i still damn would like to know how to set the dropped item levels in dungeons :(


What exactly do you mean by that Sendoh? Do you mean placing a relic/artifact on a particular monster or in a chest or somewhere on the ground? You can do this with hex editing.


I myself do not know how to do this either, but he is wanting to know how to set an item, we can use a relic/artifact as you mention, on the ground. I believe earlier he was refering to a dungeon that had nothing on the ground and he wanted to place an item there. I guess the same thing can be said about monsters; if they previously had nothing, how would you put an item on them. In any event, I am curious about this as well.

User avatar
motter28218
Pixie
Pixie
Posts: 118
Joined: 30 Sep 2007

Postby motter28218 » Sep 30 2008, 18:35

Vector wrote:
motter28218 wrote:
Sendoh wrote:i still damn would like to know how to set the dropped item levels in dungeons :(


What exactly do you mean by that Sendoh? Do you mean placing a relic/artifact on a particular monster or in a chest or somewhere on the ground? You can do this with hex editing.


I myself do not know how to do this either, but he is wanting to know how to set an item, we can use a relic/artifact as you mention, on the ground. I believe earlier he was refering to a dungeon that had nothing on the ground and he wanted to place an item there. I guess the same thing can be said about monsters; if they previously had nothing, how would you put an item on them. In any event, I am curious about this as well.


OK, I'll give you an example. First let me say you have to know a little about hex editing and have a hex editor. If you don't have one you can go to download.com and get a trial version, I recommend "Hex Workshop" but you may prefer another.

The example I'm going to use is with Might and Magic 6. What we're going to do is take "Agar" from "Agar's Lab" and instead of him giving you nothing when you loot him we're going to make it so you get the crown "Odin". So:

1. Using MM8lvleditor open MM6/data/games.lod and locate d19.dlv, don't confuse it with d19.blv. Notice it has a listing for creatures and it has a value of 0, click on this and you will see this dungeon contains the monster "Agar".

2. Scroll over and you will notice all sorts of data concerning Agar, his HP, AC, etc, keep scrolling till you come to "Item Carried". Notice the offset is 0xa4 and right now the value is 0 because he currently carries no item.

3. Extract the d19.dlv file to wherever you normally extract your files to mod. Be sure to keep the MM8lvleditor open.

4. Open the extracted d19.dlv file with the hex editor, then find the text Agar, you can do this by edit-search or you can just scroll down, it's not hard to find there isn't much text in this file.

5. Now you just have to find the offset 0xa4, the easiest way (for me anyhow there is a better way I'm just not that experienced yet) is to go back to the MM8lvleditor and find the closest known value to 0xa4 which is "Starting Z" which has a numeric value of 63104 and an offset of 0x96.

6. Using your base converter you will find 63104 has a hex value of F680, so starting from the text "Agar" search through the hex values till you find 80F6 (I know it's strange that F680 is actually 80F6 but welcome to MM code.)

7. Now that you've found it you know you are at 0x96, so now you just have to get to 0xa4. Each "00" is an offset, so after 0x97 comes 0x98, 99, 9a, 9b, 9c, 9d, 9e, 9f, a0, a1, a2, a3, finally a4.

8. So, we found it, now we find the value for "Odin", looking in items.txt you will see "Odin" has a value of 424 which converted to hex is 01A8, but once again we have to re-arrange that value cuz hex is goofy like that so type in A801. If you are using hex workshop you can highlight A801 and in the bottom left pane you will see that even tho it's "out of order" A801 equals 424.

9. So now save the file.

10. Return to MM8lvleditor and import the d19.dlv file. When it's done importing open up Games.lod.new, go to d19.dlv and click on Agar, scroll over till you find 0xa4 and now "Item Carried" should have the value 424 which is "Odin" (Note: If you miscounted while you were hexing the 424 maybe in a different slot or you may have a number but it's not 424, this is no big deal, it's a "rookie mistake" I made plenty of times, just re-open the d19.dlv file with hex editor and move the A801 value to the proper spot.

11. Once you've verified the 424 is in the 0xa4 spot, go into data, (make a backup of games.lod just to be safe) then delete games.lod and rename games.lod.new to games.lod.

12. Now for the final test, start a new game, use an editor to beef up your party (I realize you might be one of those people who frowns on cheating but this is just to test out your work, it would be a shame to spend hours getting your party to a high enough level to tackle Agar and then finding out he doesn't have the crown). Take your party to Agar's Lab, kill him and then loot his body and you will have the crown "Odin"!!!

If you have any more questions feel free to ask, but if you can get this to work I'm sure you can see how it can be used to place items in chests, dungeons, outdoors, etc. Happy Modding!!

Otter

User avatar
GrayFace
Dragon
Dragon
Posts: 1456
Joined: 29 Nov 2005

Postby GrayFace » Oct 1 2008, 20:21

Vector wrote:In any event, I am curious about this as well.

It's done using command 0x22. Here it is:

Code: Select all

typedef struct // SummonItem
{
  int ItemIndex; // + 1000*EnchantementStrength (0-6) (see the end of STDITEMS.TXT for details)
  int X;
  int Y;
  int Z;
  int unk_5;
  ubyte Count;
  ubyte unk_7; // boolean -- adds some randomness to placing position
 
} Cmd_22;

Unfortunately, it can't randomize the item like 0x29, but with .exe patching this can be done as well.

P.S. I'd like to join your team, but I probably won't do much, 'cause I'm the main WoG programmer now.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

User avatar
Vector
Pixie
Pixie
Posts: 118
Joined: 30 Sep 2006
Location: United States
Contact:

Postby Vector » Oct 2 2008, 22:14

motter28218 wrote:
Vector wrote:
motter28218 wrote:
Sendoh wrote:i still damn would like to know how to set the dropped item levels in dungeons :(


What exactly do you mean by that Sendoh? Do you mean placing a relic/artifact on a particular monster or in a chest or somewhere on the ground? You can do this with hex editing.


I myself do not know how to do this either, but he is wanting to know how to set an item, we can use a relic/artifact as you mention, on the ground. I believe earlier he was refering to a dungeon that had nothing on the ground and he wanted to place an item there. I guess the same thing can be said about monsters; if they previously had nothing, how would you put an item on them. In any event, I am curious about this as well.


OK, I'll give you an example. First let me say you have to know a little about hex editing and have a hex editor. If you don't have one you can go to download.com and get a trial version, I recommend "Hex Workshop" but you may prefer another.

The example I'm going to use is with Might and Magic 6. What we're going to do is take "Agar" from "Agar's Lab" and instead of him giving you nothing when you loot him we're going to make it so you get the crown "Odin". So:

1. Using MM8lvleditor open MM6/data/games.lod and locate d19.dlv, don't confuse it with d19.blv. Notice it has a listing for creatures and it has a value of 0, click on this and you will see this dungeon contains the monster "Agar".

2. Scroll over and you will notice all sorts of data concerning Agar, his HP, AC, etc, keep scrolling till you come to "Item Carried". Notice the offset is 0xa4 and right now the value is 0 because he currently carries no item.

3. Extract the d19.dlv file to wherever you normally extract your files to mod. Be sure to keep the MM8lvleditor open.

4. Open the extracted d19.dlv file with the hex editor, then find the text Agar, you can do this by edit-search or you can just scroll down, it's not hard to find there isn't much text in this file.

5. Now you just have to find the offset 0xa4, the easiest way (for me anyhow there is a better way I'm just not that experienced yet) is to go back to the MM8lvleditor and find the closest known value to 0xa4 which is "Starting Z" which has a numeric value of 63104 and an offset of 0x96.

6. Using your base converter you will find 63104 has a hex value of F680, so starting from the text "Agar" search through the hex values till you find 80F6 (I know it's strange that F680 is actually 80F6 but welcome to MM code.)

7. Now that you've found it you know you are at 0x96, so now you just have to get to 0xa4. Each "00" is an offset, so after 0x97 comes 0x98, 99, 9a, 9b, 9c, 9d, 9e, 9f, a0, a1, a2, a3, finally a4.

8. So, we found it, now we find the value for "Odin", looking in items.txt you will see "Odin" has a value of 424 which converted to hex is 01A8, but once again we have to re-arrange that value cuz hex is goofy like that so type in A801. If you are using hex workshop you can highlight A801 and in the bottom left pane you will see that even tho it's "out of order" A801 equals 424.

9. So now save the file.

10. Return to MM8lvleditor and import the d19.dlv file. When it's done importing open up Games.lod.new, go to d19.dlv and click on Agar, scroll over till you find 0xa4 and now "Item Carried" should have the value 424 which is "Odin" (Note: If you miscounted while you were hexing the 424 maybe in a different slot or you may have a number but it's not 424, this is no big deal, it's a "rookie mistake" I made plenty of times, just re-open the d19.dlv file with hex editor and move the A801 value to the proper spot.

11. Once you've verified the 424 is in the 0xa4 spot, go into data, (make a backup of games.lod just to be safe) then delete games.lod and rename games.lod.new to games.lod.

12. Now for the final test, start a new game, use an editor to beef up your party (I realize you might be one of those people who frowns on cheating but this is just to test out your work, it would be a shame to spend hours getting your party to a high enough level to tackle Agar and then finding out he doesn't have the crown). Take your party to Agar's Lab, kill him and then loot his body and you will have the crown "Odin"!!!

If you have any more questions feel free to ask, but if you can get this to work I'm sure you can see how it can be used to place items in chests, dungeons, outdoors, etc. Happy Modding!!

Otter


GrayFace wrote:
Vector wrote:In any event, I am curious about this as well.

It's done using command 0x22. Here it is:

Code: Select all

typedef struct // SummonItem
{
  int ItemIndex; // + 1000*EnchantementStrength (0-6) (see the end of STDITEMS.TXT for details)
  int X;
  int Y;
  int Z;
  int unk_5;
  ubyte Count;
  ubyte unk_7; // boolean -- adds some randomness to placing position
 
} Cmd_22;

Unfortunately, it can't randomize the item like 0x29, but with .exe patching this can be done as well.

P.S. I'd like to join your team, but I probably won't do much, 'cause I'm the main WoG programmer now.


Simply wonderful information guys! I know this will help us in certain aspects of our game.

Awesome that you want to join our team Grayface, I know we could use someone with your particular skill set as we have no diehard event language/programmer on out team as of yet; no worries, you don't have to do much, especially if you are the lead programmer on another project. I will send you a PM regarding the subject.

User avatar
koval321
War Dancer
War Dancer
Posts: 366
Joined: 20 Jan 2008

Postby koval321 » Oct 12 2008, 7:25

Possible ways to create new items are:
1-modify existing items
2-render brand new
3-take real photos
Already i try this thrid way (see shields +15 on blog) Its very fast and give high quality. These shields was made from real photos of medieval items found on web. Medusa shield was stone sculpture which i changed into gold colour (so its way 3B : modify real photos)

User avatar
vladimir-maestro
Archmage
Archmage
Posts: 973
Joined: 19 Jun 2008

Postby vladimir-maestro » Oct 12 2008, 16:45

Interesting shields!!! ;)
I've got some another ones :D

Bowerbank
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 45
Joined: 01 Oct 2007

Postby Bowerbank » Oct 17 2008, 9:14

nice :) i really wish i could do stuff like that


Return to “Might and Magic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests