The most challenging party combinations?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Apeman
Peasant
Peasant

The most challenging party combinations?

Unread postby Apeman » 10 Feb 2006, 11:23

I just finished my MMVIII Troll, Troll, Cleric, Troll, Troll party thinking it would bring me at least a challenge this time. How wrong was I, with 20 points grandmaster mace and 20 points grandmaster bodybuilding I had over 1500hp and 20% paralyze on each hit.

Now I Learned from my all monk party in MMVII where I didn't stand a chance against monsters with death, paralyze or stone attacks, I needed that cleric otherwise the game isn't fun anymore getting stoned etc and walking back to a temple. But this MMVIII party is just overkill!

So in your opinion what are the most challenging party combinations for each might and magic game (not including mmI-V)

oh, what does the stun ability do on staffs and maces? creatures fight quite as hard when stunned.

Logan Warbringer
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Logan Warbringer » 13 Feb 2006, 22:51

I think the most challenging is all-mages party:) One cleric is needed nevertheless, but all 4 others can be Necromancers or Dark Elves with focus on Dark Elf Ability and Fire Magic:) It won't be an easy game at all (especially when fighting strong elementals in the planes). The scheme is a starting character + either four of the following: Frederick Talimere, Devlin Arcanus, Nathaniel Roberts, Carranya Memoria, Rohani Oscleton (Cauri is too strong and has instant 50th level when rescued, so it won't be a challenge at all if you take her).
http://www.heroesportal.net -- More than 2000 maps for Heroes of Might and Magic I, II, III, IV. Forums and chat in heroic style! Various tourneys and everything a real hero needs!

Apeman
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Apeman » 14 Feb 2006, 09:34

I don't know about an all mages party, I had the easiest time in MMVI with my druid, sorcerer, sorcerer, druid party, which laid waste to anyone (sparks and shrapmetal)

IMO might is weaker in a MM game.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 14 Feb 2006, 09:40

Seems to me that mage-types are puny at first and can be hard to keep alive, but later on they're weapons of mass kaboom :)

Like in many other rpg-type games.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 14 Feb 2006, 14:40

Liches are great in the Elemental planes. Souldrinker is a marvellous spell.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 14 Feb 2006, 14:50

As you yourself have said, the most challenging party in VII or VIII is one that does not have access to protection from magic. It's also no fun.

So . . .

MMVII: Ranger/Paladin/Monk/Thief

You'll get Protection From Magic, but only with your second Paladin promotion. You've got no access to Invisibility or Fly, and the promotion quests are brutal for at least half your party members no matter which side you choose.

MMVIII: Vampire/Minotaur/Troll

Given that you do have the option of soloing, which is the most challenging of itself, this one does give you access to Protection from Magic if you complete the Vampire Promotion quest, but the Cyclops Larder is a definite pain in the tail if you don't have Protection from Magic. Likewise, you won't be promoting your Troll without Protection from Magic or an excellent job running.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 14 Feb 2006, 15:27

Tried a solo Vampie in MMVIII. Gave up a bit into the Regna-bit, just couldn't keep up decent damage. Feel like trying again though. Tried solo Necromancer too but that's just too easy ;) But fun.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Apeman
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Apeman » 15 Feb 2006, 08:30

When you solo in VII thus killing off three characters, will the experience be divided between four or one? Same question for MMVIII.

Mamoru-kun
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Mamoru-kun » 24 Feb 2006, 09:35

Has anyone ever tried what they do in PS2 RPG games? Playing all along with all your characters, using every scrolls/potions/weapons/armors you find...but without increasing levels/stats/promotions/whatever, at all. Well it's been too long I haven't played MM6-7-8, so I'm not sure it's possible to avoid having level/stats up, but avoiding any promotion could be interesting :-)

Stormz30000
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Stormz30000 » 03 Feb 2009, 14:55

Apeman wrote:When you solo in VII thus killing off three characters, will the experience be divided between four or one? Same question for MMVIII.
Unfortunately, 4. I wish someone would make a mod to fix that...

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 03 Feb 2009, 15:57

The most challenging game I've ever played is finishing the game with a solo knight on level 0.

motter28218
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby motter28218 » 03 Feb 2009, 18:44

arturchix wrote:The most challenging game I've ever played is finishing the game with a solo knight on level 0.
That'd I'd like to see. Frankly how is it possible?

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 03 Feb 2009, 18:50

Whoops, my mistake, it was in MM6 - it's been a time since I've played any M&M game, not even speaking about hardcore modes. I completed MM8 solo with a troll and minotaur - here's a related topic.

viewtopic.php?t=622

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 03 Feb 2009, 19:11

Hmm, let's see..

MM7: I would say say 4 Rangers a re a challenge, 'cos they suck at everything. At least you'll know exactly what's kicking your ass, with their ID monster skill.
I always take the same 4 classes in MM7.

MM6: ..is hard to say, since the classes master everything they can learn.

MM8: The most fun of all, 'cos you can solo. Now, that's not the toughest way to go. Solo characters get all the exp and the benefit of the many barrels in the game.
I think the Vampire was the hardest I have played solo. The Dark Elf I have now is good and she does not have "any" elemental magics.
The Troll was fun and easy:
The Knight was also a lot of fun:
Lich does an insane amount of damage with dark spells:
Cleric was a little tough and I got bored with him:
Minotaur mostly sucked (I know I'll get the beat down for this).

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 06 Jul 2011, 23:59

I once completed MM8 solo with a Lich. Called him Unbeliever, when I was done with him he was eligible to train to level 225. That was damn fun.

As for MM7, the party I'm using now is pretty damn hard. Paladin/Archer/Ranger/Druid. And the Lincoln is kicking my ass mercilessly.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 07 Jul 2011, 08:12

Lincoln is though place due to insta gib, but just to trivialize things up, I suggest(if your on light side) you just spam paralysis before they can frag you(unlike mm6 archer/pala can get low level light/dark).

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 07 Jul 2011, 11:24

Xfing wrote:As for MM7, the party I'm using now is pretty damn hard. Paladin/Archer/Ranger/Druid. And the Lincoln is kicking my ass mercilessly.
Haven't found some Lloyd's Beacon scrolls? ;)

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 11 Jul 2011, 07:55

When I was on my solo Ranger playthrough I just ran through the Lincoln. It's doable if you know where you need to go.

Also, for full parties I'd say:

MM6: 4x Knights
MM7: 4x Monks/Thieves
MM8: Don't remember how many NPC's there are of each class, so dunno what parties are possible.

Solo:

MM6: Knight
MM7: Monk/Thief
MM8: I'm guessing Minotaur. I tried to solo him and just gave up in Ravenshore. But that was also because it wasn't very fun - no identification at all.
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

Return to “Might and Magic”