Favourite Might and Magic music

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).

Favorite music score from Might and Magic

MMI
No votes
MMII
No votes
MMIII
7%
MMIV
No votes
MMV
No votes
MMVI
43%
MMVII
43%
MMVIII
7%
MMIX
No votes

Total votes: 14

jeff4815
Pixie
Pixie

Favourite Might and Magic music

Unread postby jeff4815 » 04 Aug 2008, 13:40

Which Might and Magic had the best musical score?

My favourites are Might and Magic I, which had that awesome 80's videogame music, and Might and Magic VIII which had a very well done, diverse score.
Last edited by jeff4815 on 23 Aug 2008, 15:46, edited 2 times in total.
And there was much rejoicing...
"You want a piece of me?!"
Ithilgore trying to Identify a Dragon: "Haven't seen one before..."

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 04 Aug 2008, 18:40

MM6 :hail: MM8 music was very good too. MM7 had 4 good themes IMO. Didn't play MM1-5 and don't remember MM9 music.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 04 Aug 2008, 19:12

MM6
then MM8

then MM7

Haven't played the rest

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 04 Aug 2008, 21:53

No particular game comes to mind, but Emerald Island's theme gives me fond memories whenever I hear it in-game and Sweetwater's is appropriately creepy. :)

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 04 Aug 2008, 22:13

MM8 had pretty weak music compared to 7 and when i first played mm6 i had ripped version without music so i will have to replay someday with normal version but as much as i checked mm6 has good one too.
mine favorite is mm7 specialy bracada/deya track also nighon,erathia and evermon tracks are awesome

Bimbasto
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Bimbasto » 05 Aug 2008, 11:22

Did play MM6,7,8.
Music in order as for full game:
MM7
MM6
MM8, however from MM8 I like Garrote Gorge theme in particular.

Paviel
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Paviel » 10 Aug 2008, 17:47

I'm quicker to judge the individual tracks than the whole thing, so I guess I'll list my favorite tracks from each game:

MM3: The town theme is quite catchy, and I also like the "training" theme, even if the sound quality isn't that great.

MM4: Hmm... Not much that I particularly enjoy in this game, unfortunately.

MM5: Not much here either.

MM6: Well, I guess I like all of the dungeon and temple music, especially the one that begins with what sounds like Bach's Toccata and Fugue. There's also one outdoor theme in the eastern areas that sounds a bit like the Grass theme from Heroes 2; I like that too. Then there's the snow theme... then there's the title track/nighttime theme... lot of good songs in that game.

MM7: Celeste, the Pit, Bracada/Deyja, Barrow Downs/Eeofol, Evenmorn Islands, Tularea, Thunderfist Mountain.

MM8: Hmm... If I said Shadowspire, Regna, and Garrotte Gorge, would you know what I was talking about? One thing that bugged me about MM8 was that there wasn't really any tune used exclusively for one location.

So judging each soundtrack by the number of songs I really liked in it, I'd say mine are, from most favorite to least favorite:

MM6
MM7
MM8
MM3
MM4 and 5

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 10 Aug 2008, 21:30

MM6. I especially love how Tomaso Albinoni's Adagio plays in all those dungeons. It creates such a fantastic atmosphere. :) MM7 and MM8's musical scores aren't bad either, but I don't know about the rest of the games as I haven't tried them.

Paviel
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Paviel » 10 Aug 2008, 23:25

MM6. I especially love how Tomaso Albinoni's Adagio plays in all those dungeons. It creates such a fantastic atmosphere.
That's the tune I was talking about: The first few bars sound a bit like Bach's Toccata and Fugue, except in G minor, but the rest is Albinoni's Adagio...

I wonder how much other music in these soundtracks is like that. It's a shame I don't know nearly as much about baroque or classical or romantic music as about video game music...

jeff4815
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby jeff4815 » 13 Aug 2008, 03:15

Despite the low-techness of it, I really like the music Masaharu Iwata did for...Might and Magic I, I think? It just has a great feel to it.

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 17 Aug 2008, 19:36

the town theme in MM3. i hum it when i think.
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

MessyMage
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby MessyMage » 23 Aug 2008, 06:54

Could we make a poll about this?

Suleman
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Suleman » 23 Aug 2008, 13:25

Personally, out of the musics of MM6, MM7 and MM8 my favorite would be MM7.
MM6 had some rather boring themes. Too much birdsong and water splashing, too. Some nice ones, too, but not interesting enough. Same problem with MM8. It had the Ravage Roaming theme, though, and I love that one. MM7, however, had gems like the Deyja theme. Eerie and wonderful.
"Yes, but what about David Beckham and the magic mushroom?"

I'm baaaaaack!

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 23 Aug 2008, 13:44

M&M2-9.
Favourite themes:
Bracada Desert (M&M7)
Battle (M&M2)
Sci-fi (M&M5)
Oracle (M&M6)
Escaton's Crystal (M&M8)
Sweet Water (M&M6)
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

jeff4815
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby jeff4815 » 23 Aug 2008, 15:47

Poll added.

MessyMage
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby MessyMage » 23 Aug 2008, 18:13

Thanks Jeff.

Hey Xel, how come the New Sorpigal theme in MM6 isn't included in your list?
The MM music usually fit very well the cenarios.

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 23 Aug 2008, 18:25

MessyMage wrote: Hey Xel, how come the New Sorpigal theme in MM6 isn't included in your list?
Actually, I think Sweet Water theme is cooler. But all the music from M&M6 is awesome ;)
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

MessyMage
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby MessyMage » 24 Aug 2008, 23:28

I haven't heard the Sweet Water theme yet (but will in a near future). But I don't doubt it's great, MM6 is the game with the best music among the ones I've played in my whole life.
(BTW, I haven't played MM7 nor 8, so it's possible my opinion changes soon)

Return to “Might and Magic”