mm7 hostilities [modding]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Sendoh
Galactic Gargle Blaster
Galactic Gargle Blaster

mm7 hostilities [modding]

Unread postby Sendoh » 03 Aug 2008, 00:33

i'm trying to edit the Hostile.txt file, but i can't understand the numbers, i can't get what are the differences between 0-1-2-3-4

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 03 Aug 2008, 08:08

0 means 'not hostile' for sure. Maybe the numbers metter when there are multiple enemies for a monster. He would fight with ones that he hates most, that is, the value for which is bigger. Just a guess.
Looks like the column stands for the monster taking decision and the row is a monster he's about to attack or not attack.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Sendoh
Galactic Gargle Blaster
Galactic Gargle Blaster

Unread postby Sendoh » 03 Aug 2008, 18:29

i'll test it, thank you

vladimir-maestro
Genie
Genie

Unread postby vladimir-maestro » 04 Aug 2008, 07:37

Also monsters have got their favorite targets!!!

Titans like to kill female charecters first, liches\necromancers like to kill crusaders\priest, goblins hate dwarves...and so on!

Only few monsters hate all of you charecters and attack randomly ;|

Maybe it is this!

Vector
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Vector » 05 Aug 2008, 20:22

GrayFace wrote:0 means 'not hostile' for sure. Maybe the numbers metter when there are multiple enemies for a monster. He would fight with ones that he hates most, that is, the value for which is bigger. Just a guess.
Looks like the column stands for the monster taking decision and the row is a monster he's about to attack or not attack.
I don't know if we can go by that assumption. For example, the majority of the numbers in that file are '0.' This would mean that nearly every sprite in the game is non-hostile. I think it works a little different than that, though I am not 100% sure. For example, we know that devils are always hostile to the party yet they are given a '0' in the table towards the party, and the party is given a '0' towards the devils. If '0' translates to non-hostile, they wouldn't attack us. There is some connection with the numbers though, and I will use the Dragon Cave at the beginning of MM7 as an example:

Once you enter the dragon cave, there is the party, the dragon, and the rats. So if the party walks into the cave, you are a 0, the dragon is a 4, and the rat is a 2. The rat attacks the dragon first because it is a 4, the dragon attacks the rat first because it is a 2, After one of them die, the rat or dragon would attack the party at 0 being that we are the only ones left to attack regardless of number.

Maybe 0 means mutually exclusive towards every other creature (excluding the party) unless given a different number ranging in a hostility of 1-4. This idea flawed though I believe, as I can see a couple of other instances that still don't make sense. For example:

The swordsman is given a number other than 0 towards dragonflies and bats (they attack them on Emerald Island), but a 0 towards goblins. They attack goblins in Harmondale, which in turn discredits my logic.

This is an idea; if anyone knows how to perfect it, or knows another reason for what the numbers mean, please correct me.

motter28218
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby motter28218 » 06 Aug 2008, 05:22

Vector wrote:
GrayFace wrote:0 means 'not hostile' for sure. Maybe the numbers metter when there are multiple enemies for a monster. He would fight with ones that he hates most, that is, the value for which is bigger. Just a guess.
I don't know if we can go by that assumption. For example, the majority of the numbers in that file are '0.' This would mean that nearly every sprite in the game is non-hostile. I think it works a little different than that, though I am not 100% sure. For example, we know that devils are always hostile to the party yet they are given a '0' in the table towards the party, and the party is given a '0' towards the devils. If '0' translates to non-hostile, they wouldn't attack us. There is some connection with the numbers though, and I will use the Dragon Cave at the beginning of MM7 as an example:

Once you enter the dragon cave, there is the party, the dragon, and the rats. So if the party walks into the cave, you are a 0, the dragon is a 4, and the rat is a 2. The rat attacks the dragon first because it is a 4, the dragon attacks the rat first because it is a 2, After one of them die, the rat or dragon would attack the party at 0 being that we are the only ones left to attack regardless of number.

Maybe 0 means mutually exclusive towards every other creature (excluding the party) unless given a different number ranging in a hostility of 1-4. This idea flawed though I believe, as I can see a couple of other instances that still don't make sense. For example:

The swordsman is given a number other than 0 towards dragonflies and bats (they attack them on Emerald Island), but a 0 towards goblins. They attack goblins in Harmondale, which in turn discredits my logic.

This is an idea; if anyone knows how to perfect it, or knows another reason for what the numbers mean, please correct me.
4 will make absolute hostile, meaning they will fight anything, even their own, alot of the hostilities are set by the particular map or dungeon and override the hostile.txt.

solitaire345
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby solitaire345 » 24 Aug 2008, 19:01

maybye a dumb question, but how do you open the MM7/6 lod files? i searched the google and only found one finnish website, which i didn't understand anyway. can you post a link to download?

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 24 Aug 2008, 20:36

Vector wrote:I don't know if we can go by that assumption. For example, the majority of the numbers in that file are '0.' This would mean that nearly every sprite in the game is non-hostile. I think it works a little different than that, though I am not 100% sure. For example, we know that devils are always hostile to the party yet they are given a '0' in the table towards the party, and the party is given a '0' towards the devils. If '0' translates to non-hostile, they wouldn't attack us.
Devil's hostileness is '3', not '0' (in MM7). The only strange value is '0' for Zombies, since they seem to hate the party in any location. Most of monsters that are found non-hostile in some locations have '0' (except Goblins). Others, except Zombies, have non-zero.

The column stands for attacker and the row stands for target. For example, party doesn't hate anyone (the column is filled with zeroes), dragon hates all monsters except dragons and titans.
solitaire345 wrote:maybye a dumb question, but how do you open the MM7/6 lod files? i searched the google and only found one finnish website, which i didn't understand anyway. can you post a link to download?
Using mm6view, mm7view and mm8leveleditor.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Return to “Might and Magic”