Might & Magic 10; been in development for years + teaser

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Vector
Pixie
Pixie
Posts: 118
Joined: 30 Sep 2006
Location: United States
Contact:

Postby Vector » Jul 29 2008, 19:50

UndeadHalfOrc wrote:Delighted to see this happening.

A few suggestions:

- Make thieves do more than just disarm traps or steal items. Have them automatically look for secret doors and fireball traps, like in AD&D 2nd edition ("Eye of the Beholder" and "Baldur's Gate" games). Make some areas accessable only to thieves due to locks only being openable by lock-picking. EOB2 did this back in 1991, so why not?

- Get rid of that annoying 5-day travel to cross maps. a week to travel east a few steps? Yeah right.

- Have temples impose a daily limit (shared by all temples) on healing to prevent Lloyd's Beacon abuse.


Glad to see you like what we are doing. You have some very hard-to-do suggestions:

The first suggestion will actually prove to be extremely difficult as we would need to create some other special skill never done in any Might and Magic game before. Making an area exclusive to certain classes however is an interesting idea; we would have to see how that could accomplished. Perhaps the same way Clankers Lab in MM7 was available only to those on the Dark path.

Most of the game will be traveling via boat as most land will be in the form of islands, so travel may be longer/shorter than 5 days depending on the island location. Traveling by foot however will still take time as technically the thought is that different towns take time to travel to even though some might see it as only a couple steps.

A healing limit would be hard to incorporate as well; also, if one has the money to pay for healing, then the temple would probably want your money instead of turning you away.

User avatar
Vector
Pixie
Pixie
Posts: 118
Joined: 30 Sep 2006
Location: United States
Contact:

Postby Vector » Jul 29 2008, 20:04

GrayFace wrote:In my opinion MM8 engine with fixed first 3 or 4 members would be the best. I'm almost sure I can do that. I'm planning to modify the game executible anyway.


MM8 does have a lot of perks, but even if you were able to create a party from it, the game is not as big as MM6 or MM7, and using its' LOD files would just help you create a smaller game versus using MM6 or MM7. However MM8 does have lots of Bitmap slots for various items and landmass texturing compared to MM6 or 7.

GrayFace wrote:Yes, as well as I did. The main problem is that some information must be correct for poligons to be shown. Due to this a polygon can't be just moved somewhere, it wouldn't be shown when moved too far from where it was.


It is so ironic that it seems so easy to modify, but yet so hard. I really do hope Zipi finds away to fully modify this aspect of the game.

GrayFace wrote:Not 2 individuals. There are 2 remakes based on their own engine that seem alive. http://www.mightnmagic.glt.pl/ and http://wox2.crpg.ru/ (this one doesn't look alive, but its members say the models animation is what keeps them from releasing a new demo)
I'll post on Russian forum. There are more than 2 people interested of course :).


I see; I've seen the first, but I don't know if I've seen the second one or not. Hopefully it is not dead (Its' website is under construction).

Longfang Witherhide
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 2
Joined: 29 Jul 2008

Postby Longfang Witherhide » Jul 30 2008, 9:53

vector wrote:
Longfang Witherhide wrote:Hey this announcement is more than great, although it's hard to believe that anybody would finish the project. Anyway, what language are you developing the game in? Would be *very* nice to have the source code in order to port it to a better OS. MMX running native on Linux -- nothing better could ever happen to the computer games world ...
[...]
Philipp


The game language is the exact as the previous MM6-MM8. We are not diehard programmers though, and porting over to another operating system is something we would not know how to do.


Well, seems I didn't get the original post right. I thought you were implementing a new game engine using data from the old ones. So what are you actually doing? Are you just modifying one of the given binaries? I doubt you have access to the MM6-8 sources, so "the game language" means probably the binary format in which the data is stored inside the *.lod files and not the language the game was actually written in. OK, I didn't understand that. Just out of interest, could you please give some information about the development? Thanks.

User avatar
darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 4009
Joined: 02 Jul 2007
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Postby darknessfood » Jul 31 2008, 3:12

Hey Vector! I got your PM and i mailed you. Thanks for letting me in :).
I'll be writing the side quests for MMX!
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Hobbun
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 21
Joined: 06 Jan 2006

Postby Hobbun » Jul 31 2008, 22:42

This sounds like a very promising project!

Like yourself, I was not pleased with MMIX at all. I played for maybe 20 minutes and shut it off. I never went back to it and do not plan to.

Do you think the target date is realistic with three main members and a couple new additions?

I only ask as with MMT, which has a good sized group, have been at it for many years. I know you said you have been doing it for awhile now, but then indicate you are only 25% done. I guess I just don't want it to be rushed.

Also, your FAQ says it is Win XP compatible. What about Vista? I just purchased a new computer with Vista and I hope it would be able to run the game.

Either way, I look forward to the game coming out. I still regret NWC breaking up and miss MM. :(

User avatar
Vector
Pixie
Pixie
Posts: 118
Joined: 30 Sep 2006
Location: United States
Contact:

Postby Vector » Aug 1 2008, 14:17

Longfang Witherhide wrote:Well, seems I didn't get the original post right. I thought you were implementing a new game engine using data from the old ones. So what are you actually doing? Are you just modifying one of the given binaries? I doubt you have access to the MM6-8 sources, so "the game language" means probably the binary format in which the data is stored inside the *.lod files and not the language the game was actually written in. OK, I didn't understand that. Just out of interest, could you please give some information about the development? Thanks.


Yes, the original MM series beginning from VI will sevre as a baisis for the new game. As for development, are you inferring to a how-to? We will have lots of info on our website once running.

darknessfood wrote:Hey Vector! I got your PM and i mailed you. Thanks for letting me in :).
I'll be writing the side quests for MMX!


No problem, sent you an E-mail. Hope you have fun with it!

Hobbun wrote:This sounds like a very promising project!

Like yourself, I was not pleased with MMIX at all. I played for maybe 20 minutes and shut it off. I never went back to it and do not plan to.

Do you think the target date is realistic with three main members and a couple new additions?

I only ask as with MMT, which has a good sized group, have been at it for many years. I know you said you have been doing it for awhile now, but then indicate you are only 25% done. I guess I just don't want it to be rushed.

Also, your FAQ says it is Win XP compatible. What about Vista? I just purchased a new computer with Vista and I hope it would be able to run the game.

Either way, I look forward to the game coming out. I still regret NWC breaking up and miss MM. :(


Glad you like what you see so far! Our release date is tentative and subject to change, but we do see it as realistic. We have been working on it a while; as for the 25%, that pertains to landmass development. We will definitely not rush the project as we want a clean ready-to-go game.

Honestly, we have no idea on Vista compatibility, but I'm sure there will be someone who figures out a way to, just like someone did for XP. I hope this information helps.

Hobbun
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 21
Joined: 06 Jan 2006

Postby Hobbun » Aug 1 2008, 21:41

Vector wrote:
Glad you like what you see so far! Our release date is tentative and subject to change, but we do see it as realistic. We have been working on it a while; as for the 25%, that pertains to landmass development. We will definitely not rush the project as we want a clean ready-to-go game.

Honestly, we have no idea on Vista compatibility, but I'm sure there will be someone who figures out a way to, just like someone did for XP. I hope this information helps.


Yes, the information does help, but you haven't looked into Vista compatibility yet? I guess I am a bit concerned about that as a lot of people will probably have it by the time the game is released.

Wilbur Humphery II
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 13
Joined: 15 Jul 2008
Location: Yesterday (NZ)

Postby Wilbur Humphery II » Aug 2 2008, 20:29

Hello all,

This looks so great, cant wait

one question: so is the storyline going to go back in time from mm9 and homm4?

But I love the storyline idea anyway

User avatar
Zubbus
Peasant
Peasant
Posts: 56
Joined: 02 Aug 2008
Location: Necropolis XL

Postby Zubbus » Aug 3 2008, 4:27

Just curious, what can a non-programmer do for you?

User avatar
jeff4815
Pixie
Pixie
Posts: 130
Joined: 24 Apr 2008
Location: Northern Garrote Gorge

Postby jeff4815 » Aug 3 2008, 20:46

Being a writer, I'd be more than willing to help out with those house discussion topics. Of course I'd have to know the nature of the area they're in, what's going on and what not.

Also, do you have/want music for the game? I MIGHT be able to help. I'm an amateur, inspiring composer (more as a hobby rather than a job) and I just need to buy a certain music composition program and then I'd be set.
And there was much rejoicing...
"You want a piece of me?!"
Ithilgore trying to Identify a Dragon: "Haven't seen one before..."

User avatar
Vector
Pixie
Pixie
Posts: 118
Joined: 30 Sep 2006
Location: United States
Contact:

Postby Vector » Aug 4 2008, 1:18

Hobbun wrote:Yes, the information does help, but you haven't looked into Vista compatibility yet? I guess I am a bit concerned about that as a lot of people will probably have it by the time the game is released.


This is true, and perhaps we may have Vista before release, but we won't say for certain. Keep in mind this game will play just like MM6-MM8, so it is like asking how MM6, MM7, or MM8 will play on Vista. If someone has run previous MM games on Vista, then there won't be a problem. Someone feel free to add if they have experience in running the past games on Vista.

Wilbur Humphery II wrote:Hello all,

This looks so great, cant wait

one question: so is the storyline going to go back in time from mm9 and homm4?

But I love the storyline idea anyway


No, this game will not interfere with MM9 or the time-line; though MMX won't really pertain to MM9, it will still follow it in time accordance.

Zubbus wrote:Just curious, what can a non-programmer do for you?


We have individuals for the storyline, but still lacking on those able to create dialog for those living in towns and the peasants walking around.

jeff4815 wrote:Being a writer, I'd be more than willing to help out with those house discussion topics. Of course I'd have to know the nature of the area they're in, what's going on and what not.

Also, do you have/want music for the game? I MIGHT be able to help. I'm an amateur, inspiring composer (more as a hobby rather than a job) and I just need to buy a certain music composition program and then I'd be set.


Thanks for offering to help; yes we do need people to help simulate dialog. We can fully inform you of the game, just send us a PM with and we will let you know how the nature of the areas and such.

Yes, we haven't actually got around to this yet, but if we had music done in the style of MM6-8 this would be great. Once you get the program, please let us know. We can discuss this in detail when I provide you info on the game.

User avatar
jeff4815
Pixie
Pixie
Posts: 130
Joined: 24 Apr 2008
Location: Northern Garrote Gorge

Postby jeff4815 » Aug 4 2008, 13:55

Okay, I think I can imitate the style for the most part except for the non-instrument noises which are more added sound effects.

Speaking of sound effects, how are you set for those? (I can't help with those, as much as I'd like to.)
And there was much rejoicing...

"You want a piece of me?!"

Ithilgore trying to Identify a Dragon: "Haven't seen one before..."

Armoured Blood
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 6
Joined: 05 Aug 2008
Location: CA, US

Postby Armoured Blood » Aug 5 2008, 1:54

Very, very cool ... would like to see this work out. About the Vista compatability issues, with the help of this website , I got MM6-8 working on my laptop. The only problem is with MM6, and that has to do with the turning speed ... I spin like a top when playing it 8| :| ;| :ill: :mad: . Help ... anyway, I really like the artifacts screeny, although the green royal leather is a little odd :| Keep up the good work!

Lord-Ironfist
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 6
Joined: 29 Jan 2006

Postby Lord-Ironfist » Aug 5 2008, 8:26

I can help out writing dialouge for the npc's if you need it, and help add things to certain places background stories. I may also be able to help mod things, but it depends what programming language the game files use. Just PM me if you want any help!

P.S. Mabye the position of certain sprites is hardcoded into the game files to make sure it always appears at or near its required position. Mabye to move things greater distances you would have to reset certain values, such as coordinates or something.

User avatar
Vector
Pixie
Pixie
Posts: 118
Joined: 30 Sep 2006
Location: United States
Contact:

Postby Vector » Aug 5 2008, 16:17

jeff4815 wrote:Speaking of sound effects, how are you set for those? (I can't help with those, as much as I'd like to.)


We are hoping that they won't impose a huge problem as past games supply the sound effects that we will use.

Armoured Blood wrote:The only problem is with MM6, and that has to do with the turning speed ... I spin like a top when playing it 8| :| ;| :ill: :mad: . Help ... anyway, I really like the artifacts screeny, although the green royal leather is a little odd :| Keep up the good work!


That is good news for Vista owners; being that we have this information, we will set something up on our website concerning this issue, more of a 'how to.' Glad you like the new items! You're just not use to seeing green royal leather :D

Lord-Ironfist wrote:I can help out writing dialouge for the npc's if you need it, and help add things to certain places background stories. I may also be able to help mod things, but it depends what programming language the game files use. Just PM me if you want any help!

P.S. Mabye the position of certain sprites is hardcoded into the game files to make sure it always appears at or near its required position. Mabye to move things greater distances you would have to reset certain values, such as coordinates or something.


We could definitely use help; a PM will be sent to you shortly.

FourierTransform
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 1
Joined: 19 Aug 2008

Postby FourierTransform » Aug 19 2008, 9:01

I just made this acc with a sole purpose of bumping this topic because not all hope in the humanity is lost. Even tho the RPG genre has pretty much died these days (Or should I rather say, RPG genre is redefined as flashy, button mashing adventure fest with light RPG elements such as Dungeon Siege and Oblivion), theres still hope we can enjoy some quality gameplay in the future.

Sorry for the half-off topic rant but I'm delighted that there are communities who do this stuff. Adding to that another game, which I consider last in the 'true rpg' genre(Wizardry 8) has had some quality mods come out in the past really impresses me.

Keep up the good work guys :D

User avatar
Vector
Pixie
Pixie
Posts: 118
Joined: 30 Sep 2006
Location: United States
Contact:

Postby Vector » Aug 19 2008, 16:50

FourierTransform wrote:I just made this acc with a sole purpose of bumping this topic because not all hope in the humanity is lost. Even tho the RPG genre has pretty much died these days (Or should I rather say, RPG genre is redefined as flashy, button mashing adventure fest with light RPG elements such as Dungeon Siege and Oblivion), theres still hope we can enjoy some quality gameplay in the future.

Sorry for the half-off topic rant but I'm delighted that there are communities who do this stuff. Adding to that another game, which I consider last in the 'true rpg' genre(Wizardry 8) has had some quality mods come out in the past really impresses me.

Keep up the good work guys :D


I completely agree with you; while I do enjoy games like Oblivion and such, they are nothing like RPG's I use to play. There are very few Role playing games that have caught my attention in the recent years. The Might and Magic series, and the Wizardry series are very much my favorite games though MM takes the cake.

The project is moving along nicely with work being done each day. We have now have additional members working on storylines, quests, items, dialogue, and perhaps even a new soundtrack much like MM6-8. Our website is in development and will be up and running once a general storyline is complete, enabling us to provide fans with more information. Additionally, the website will have how-to's, a history section, screenshots, downloads, and more.

We are glad you are excited enough about this game to create an account on the boards, so thank you for your support :D

More information to come; Thanks.

User avatar
Lord13
Demon
Demon
Posts: 311
Joined: 16 Jan 2006
Location: Around Harmondale

Postby Lord13 » Aug 19 2008, 21:31

Good news this project, I wish you luck and patience and
can't w8 to hear news. Is good to see that MnM funs don't give
up and want to see our favourite title continue. I agree that Ubi
is not willing to continue the title(at least that has showned) and
I like that you stick at MnM6-8 style (MnM9 sucks!). I wish I could help
but I am afraid i cannot give smth as I have 0 knowledge at programing,
modding,art etc. Anyway, good luck and can't w8 to hear news :D
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...
Only heroes live forever!

User avatar
HeroOfPunk
Swordsman
Swordsman
Posts: 554
Joined: 20 Aug 2008
Location: Sweden

Postby HeroOfPunk » Aug 20 2008, 19:12

Vector wrote:
Hobbun wrote:Yes, the information does help, but you haven't looked into Vista compatibility yet? I guess I am a bit concerned about that as a lot of people will probably have it by the time the game is released.


This is true, and perhaps we may have Vista before release, but we won't say for certain. Keep in mind this game will play just like MM6-MM8, so it is like asking how MM6, MM7, or MM8 will play on Vista. If someone has run previous MM games on Vista, then there won't be a problem. Someone feel free to add if they have experience in running the past games on Vista.


I have been running MM6-8 on Vista and they all work perfect... How is the game developing doing? I hope it will be released very soon since it was 2 years ago you posted it would be out in not to long :P Thanks :D

User avatar
HeroOfPunk
Swordsman
Swordsman
Posts: 554
Joined: 20 Aug 2008
Location: Sweden

Well...

Postby HeroOfPunk » Aug 20 2008, 19:15

Well hows this things going? There are still no dungeon/outside pictures? Come on bring us some news im dying here!


Return to “Might and Magic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 7 guests