Might & Magic 10; been in development for years + teaser

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 19 Oct 2008, 22:09

Corlagon wrote:Erm, it is. :D
Hey man, didn't knew you was in the project until the last update :D! Wanna switch some work :D, and see what one another thinks of it?
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

vladimir-maestro
Genie
Genie

Unread postby vladimir-maestro » 20 Oct 2008, 04:52

What kind of maps you uses for that?
Standart MM7 or something? Or you do your own maps?

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 20 Oct 2008, 11:03

vladimir-maestro wrote:What kind of maps you uses for that?
They use the terrain tilesets from MM6, MM7 and MM8 to create their own maps. Here's hoping I got that right :beg:

Vector
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Vector » 20 Oct 2008, 13:42

darknessfood wrote:Well, we try and be done at Marchnext year. So get your vacation days :D!
Well, lets not get ahead of ourselves. Hopefully we can be testing by March, but the end of May next year is more likely.
DarthVadre wrote:Nice project. In theory couldn't you combine Enroth, Erathia, and Jadame? I guess that's for another project.

I read somewhere quite a way back that you didn't yet have anyone to write the dialog for peasants. I don't know if you've found anyone yet, but I'm willing to help with that.
Yes, that theory could be possible, but I'm sure lots of work would have to go into that. If you port all three landmasses into one game, you could then link each landmass by boat. There would be a number of problems in doing this, as all events, quests, journals, maps, etc would be skewed. All txt files ould have to be redone for one. I'm not that good with programming the game though, and I'm sure there are others who would know better than me.

Yes, we do need dialogue for peasants. If you wish to help in that apsect, please send me a PM and I will inform you of game events which may help you in this area. Thanks for your offer.
The Oracle wrote:I am a big fan of M&M. In fact, I sincerely believe that MM6 and MM7 are the best RPG games ever. And naturally, I am very excited about this project. I don't know if it is doable, but here is an idea:

What if "things" are randomized at the start of each New Game. Some of the "things" that come to my mind are

Teachers/Quest Givers: Their locations (City and House) randomized. Including promotion quest givers.
Promotion Quests: For example, Cleric 1st promotion can become Knight 2nd promotion if you start a new game. The difficulty of the monsters that you have to fight along the way can be adjusted to the promotion level.
Monsters: Monsters can be redistributed among the cities/dungeons at the start of a new game. Monsters keep their abilities, but their overall strength (hit points, resistances, damages, etc.) can be adjusted to the city/dungeon they reside in.

I think this would add more challenge to each replay.

Please keep up the great work. I wish you the best of luck. Godspeed.
Thanks for your support! I can honestly say I would not even begin to know how to do that idea, but it would make things interesting. I don't even know if it is doable, but again, I don't know a whole lot about the games programming, and there are probably others who know better than me.
Are you talking about the landmass mapping? If so, we are taking the original landmass texture templates and then modifying them for our new regions.
Macros the Black wrote:
They use the terrain tilesets from MM6, MM7 and MM8 to create their own maps. Here's hoping I got that right :beg:
Yes! :) Using the originals from MM6-8 to make new maps.

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 20 Oct 2008, 22:48

Vector wrote:Yes, that theory could be possible, but I'm sure lots of work would have to go into that. If you port all three landmasses into one game, you could then link each landmass by boat. There would be a number of problems in doing this, as all events, quests, journals, maps, etc would be skewed. All txt files ould have to be redone for one. I'm not that good with programming the game though, and I'm sure there are others who would know better than me.
Not to mention, MM8 works very differently party-wise than MM6 and 7, and spells and abilities all work differently in the different games, difficulty of monsters are probably balanced differently.. Statistics may have been changed in between the games.. Etc ;|
I'm much more interested in a new game than in having MM6-8 connected! :)

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 20 Oct 2008, 23:06

Macros the Black wrote:
Vector wrote:Yes, that theory could be possible, but I'm sure lots of work would have to go into that. If you port all three landmasses into one game, you could then link each landmass by boat. There would be a number of problems in doing this, as all events, quests, journals, maps, etc would be skewed. All txt files ould have to be redone for one. I'm not that good with programming the game though, and I'm sure there are others who would know better than me.
Not to mention, MM8 works very differently party-wise than MM6 and 7, and spells and abilities all work differently in the different games, difficulty of monsters are probably balanced differently.. Statistics may have been changed in between the games.. Etc ;|
Well, there pretty much will be a new game.New items, new storylines (it contineus), all that stuff. So we talk about a new game :)!

DarthVadre
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby DarthVadre » 21 Oct 2008, 01:18

darknessfood wrote:
Macros the Black wrote:
Well, there pretty much will be a new game.New items, new storylines (it contineus), all that stuff. So we talk about a new game :)!
It would be fun, but I wouldn't want to go through all the work of putting it together. After MM X maybe maybe an MM XI with all 4 regions? That would be really interesting.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 21 Oct 2008, 11:28

Let's just first finish this game, shall we ;)!

DarthVadre
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby DarthVadre » 23 Oct 2008, 17:37

darknessfood wrote:Let's just first finish this game, shall we ;)!
Great idea. Plus, this post somewhat serves as a bump :proud:

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 24 Oct 2008, 00:43

Well, I read through the first post, but I just jumped to the end of the thread. I'm a huge fan of 6-8 though. A new game with the same engine is more than welcome. It should not be too taxing on an old PC, which should create a lot more interest.

Big thumbs for this one!
With all the crap that's out there today, this will be most welcome!
Last edited by Variol on 27 Oct 2008, 00:08, edited 1 time in total.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 24 Oct 2008, 12:57

Thank you Variol :), it's nice people are waiting for this one to finish :)!

jtmcgrane
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

SWEEEET!!!!!

Unread postby jtmcgrane » 25 Oct 2008, 07:29

This is really exciting! I can't wait for this. I am good at creative writing. I would be glad to help with NPC discussion topics, but I would need to know as much as I could about the storyline so that I could find ideas within for the said NPC's. I could even throw in a little humor if needed. I always enjoy funny NPC's.

This game will happen! I saw it in a Mayan calendar somewhere...
:D
Donuts. Is there anything they can't do???

Ant99k
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ant99k » 26 Oct 2008, 00:04

Hey :D

Im a huge M&M fan who has stumbled upon this whilst sifting through M&M stuff on the net like a lost puppy. This is totally awsome! Sadly I can offer nothing in the way of help being merely a player and nothing more. I guess I could make you labourers a cup of tea? :D

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 26 Oct 2008, 00:31

Ant99k wrote:Hey :D

Im a huge M&M fan who has stumbled upon this whilst sifting through M&M stuff on the net like a lost puppy. This is totally awsome! Sadly I can offer nothing in the way of help being merely a player and nothing more. I guess I could make you labourers a cup of tea? :D
Could you make me some coffee, I don't like tea :D!

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 26 Oct 2008, 01:10

I have an idea/suggestion: make a really scary ghost/skeleton/evil/undead dungeon, where lots of whacky teleportation and trap encounters/switch pulling is going on. Then, disable Wizard Eye and Torch Light in that dungeon. Is that possible? It would be really cool if it was. Maybe you could use Dispell for it..

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 26 Oct 2008, 01:39

Or a bugg like in MM6 :D!

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 26 Oct 2008, 14:25

Macros the Black wrote:I have an idea/suggestion: make a really scary ghost/skeleton/evil/undead dungeon, where lots of whacky teleportation and trap encounters/switch pulling is going on. Then, disable Wizard Eye and Torch Light in that dungeon. Is that possible? It would be really cool if it was. Maybe you could use Dispell for it..
Just finished today Castle Darkmoor and I have one thing to say you:
DID YOU LOST YOUR MIND? ;P

There is nothing more annoying then these flying eye sudently "turning off lights". Especially if you can hit them because wall is between your party and enemies.
So I personaly am aginst any ideas with dispel effects in dungeons.

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 26 Oct 2008, 21:40

Avonu wrote:
Macros the Black wrote:I have an idea/suggestion: make a really scary ghost/skeleton/evil/undead dungeon, where lots of whacky teleportation and trap encounters/switch pulling is going on. Then, disable Wizard Eye and Torch Light in that dungeon. Is that possible? It would be really cool if it was. Maybe you could use Dispell for it..
Just finished today Castle Darkmoor and I have one thing to say you:
DID YOU LOST YOUR MIND? ;P

There is nothing more annoying then these flying eye sudently "turning off lights". Especially if you can hit them because wall is between your party and enemies.
So I personaly am aginst any ideas with dispel effects in dungeons.
Well, the idea is that you can't cast wizard eye. Which is very different from having to cast it again and again :p
I think you'd find that after all these years of being accustomed to Wizard Eye (and Torch Light), a dungeon can have a very eary sence when you can't cast it in there. Which should (hopefully) make it a longer lasting experience :)
The idea with dispell is that maybe casting wizard eye and/or torch light would trigger an effect which causes all your buffs to be dispelled, so you can't cast it all anyway.
I agree with you about those Flying Eyes, though... That place is crazy, especially with all the curses also.

I started a Paladin/Paladin/Paladin/Paladin party just the other day, and I found that the Abandoned Temple is a pretty darn spooky place without those two spells ^^

Edit: oh, and of course if you can't cast torch light the dungeon would have to be designed with that in mind.. so no places where you can't see anything at all, but plenty of dark *enough* places to make it 'scary' if you know what I mean ;)

Like, one of the coolest dungeons is the temple of baa in Ironfist, where if you go behind the table suddenly the gong is sounded and all those skeletons appear, or every other room you open another bunch of skeletons cuts you off from the way back. I love that stuff! I especially love doing that temple when I have Ring of Fire, but that's another thing altogether ;)

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 27 Oct 2008, 00:14

Funny, I always take a party of 4 of the same characters as well.

Sorry about my previous post. The grammar was terrible. That's what happens when I type too early in the morning.

As for the graphics in the:
I think they were quite good for their time. I think it's more about the game for most of us. Look at the crap that's Heroes 5! What a shame, all graphics and no game!!
And it's so slow, it's a pain!

With the same old engine and similar graphics, this should run great on my 5 year old PC, since all the others did.

DarthVadre
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby DarthVadre » 27 Oct 2008, 08:42

Variol wrote:Funny, I always take a party of 4 of the same characters as well.

Sorry about my previous post. The grammar was terrible. That's what happens when I type too early in the morning.

As for the graphics in the:
I think they were quite good for their time. I think it's more about the game for most of us. Look at the crap that's Heroes 5! What a shame, all graphics and no game!!
And it's so slow, it's a pain!

With the same old engine and similar graphics, this should run great on my 5 year old PC, since all the others did.
The dated graphics give it the game the feel. Personally, I'm sure if I were producing a MM game with modern graphics, I could capture the appropriate feel, but so far I wouldn't trust any of the companies out there to do so, and I certainly wouldn't trust Ubisoft. That's right, I feel like I'm the only one who could pull it off. :devil:

Return to “Might and Magic”