Might & Magic 10; been in development for years + teaser

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Vector
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Vector » 06 Mar 2009, 20:36

mmtool wrote:After reading all this theme I'm not yet understand, what means "MMX uses MM6-8 engine". It will need .exe file from one of that games? Or it will have own .exe with parts of engine-related code, somehow ripped from original .exe files?
It essentially means the graphics will be the same as the previous games MM6, MM7, and MM8.
vladimir-maestro wrote:I'm interested if the maps will be original and new :devil: or the monsters :devious:
everything that I saw before was recolored existing places :(
As of right now, we have only done a handful of dungeons, and used existing ones as a basis, but it is possible to modify them if one is extremely proficent in HEX (We are not, but looking for someone that is).

We will have a handful of new sprites, but we are more interested in bringing back to life some of the sorely missed sprites.... I've said it before, but I really missed the titans in MM8 or the Thunderlizards from MM6.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 06 Mar 2009, 21:38

Yeah, Titans are awesome!
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

mmtool
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mmtool » 06 Mar 2009, 21:41

It essentially means the graphics will be the same as the previous games MM6, MM7, and MM8.
What means "graphics will be the same" in this case? 256x256 textures and sprites? 640x480 resolution? Software Rendering as in MM6-8 and/or D3D as in MM7-8?
And very sorry, but I'm not understand yet about game engine (which is not the same as graphic, in my opinion).
1) Is this game will use .exe files of MM6-8 (original or modified to some degree). And as such actually will use MM6-8 game engine in binary form.
2) Or it will built from somehow obtained source code of MM6-8 engine and as such will use MM6-8 engine in source form.
3) Or it will have its own engine (and completly original .exe file), but graphics will be similar to MM6-8. In which case i'm not understand why need to use file formats, compatible with original of MM6-8 games (such as .lod). Own engine can use any format it want (and implement any party generation system and other features).
I'm not mean graphics and file formats (.lod-s etc.). I mean game engine itself, i.e. game code. Sorry for such "questioning", if this info is secret currently, so it be.

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 07 Mar 2009, 04:20

mmtool wrote:
What means "graphics will be the same" in this case? 256x256 textures and sprites? 640x480 resolution? Software Rendering as in MM6-8 and/or D3D as in MM7-8?
And very sorry, but I'm not understand yet about game engine (which is not the same as graphic, in my opinion).
1) Is this game will use .exe files of MM6-8 (original or modified to some degree). And as such actually will use MM6-8 game engine in binary form.
2) Or it will built from somehow obtained source code of MM6-8 engine and as such will use MM6-8 engine in source form.
3) Or it will have its own engine (and completly original .exe file), but graphics will be similar to MM6-8. In which case i'm not understand why need to use file formats, compatible with original of MM6-8 games (such as .lod). Own engine can use any format it want (and implement any party generation system and other features).
I'm not mean graphics and file formats (.lod-s etc.). I mean game engine itself, i.e. game code. Sorry for such "questioning", if this info is secret currently, so it be.
means it will look the same as MM6-8, 2d sprites and whatnot.
(i guess? not seen the upcoming pics yet so its very interesting now)
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 07 Mar 2009, 06:20

mmtool wrote:1) Is this game will use .exe files of MM6-8 (original or modified to some degree). And as such actually will use MM6-8 game engine in binary form.
Well, they said they will require us to have one of MM6-8 (don't know which of the three) original games installed before MMX can be installed. The reason they gave is that it otherwsie might be illegal as anyone without MM6-8 could potentially install it. Make of that what you will, but I think that means it's probably option number 1).
I also don't think anyone really has access to the source code, and I'm certain it won't have it's own engine.
So to recap:
1) = probably
2) = unlikely
3) = nope
Vector wrote:The point I was making in my previous statement is that whether anybody's 'whatever' is free, or costs money, would be irrelevant if they were worrying about getting into legal problems.
Basically, I've been reading the last two pages and the argument has gone like this:

Jeffh:
"say, about that copyright thing.. You guys do realise that it does doesn't matter if you charge money or not, right?"

Vector:
"Yes. But it doesn't matter if we charge money or not."

Jeffh:
"That's what I said!"

Vector:
"My point was that it doesn't matter if we charge money or not."

Me:
;| "What the...."
Last edited by Macros the Black on 07 Mar 2009, 06:38, edited 1 time in total.

mmtool
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mmtool » 07 Mar 2009, 10:24

Agreed. I'm too think that option number one is mostly probable (~99%).
By whatever reason this is not mentioned openly, so that other options can be suspected. But if MMX uses .exe-files of MM6-8, all other completly clear. This is automaticaly means usage of MM6-8 engine and technically similar graphic.

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 07 Mar 2009, 15:06

Well, I don't know why you guys think otherwise considering the screenshots we posted, but yes, the game is based on the MM6-8 engine. Same scripting language, same 2D sprites, same-style environments. The content is the difference.

I'd like for us to use a newer engine but it's a choice: release a MM 6-8 engine-based title and soup it up later if necessary, or release nothing at all (cough*other fan projects*cough).

Herry Hardfoot
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Herry Hardfoot » 07 Mar 2009, 19:53

Corlagon wrote:I'd like for us to use a newer engine but it's a choice: release a MM 6-8 engine-based title and soup it up later if necessary, or release nothing at all (cough*other fan projects*cough).
For me, the whole attraction of the game is that you are using a MM6-8 engine, which is my favorite. Using a newer engine would ruin it completely (not to mention making it impossible to run for those of us with older computers {cough*other fan projects*cough}). ;)

mmtool
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mmtool » 07 Mar 2009, 22:46

Imho, "other fan projects" more likely dying because time-consuming creation of original content, not because of engine related problems. So good luck ;)

linker163
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby linker163 » 08 Mar 2009, 20:10

nice, but why do you have to pick up only 61 artifacts? i mean, why cant you keep them all, but you randomise in the bigenning of a new game wich artefacts will be found during that game, so that you couldnt get all artefacts on one game
Only thing what i want is to hear your scream as you DIE!!!

Deadguy118
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Deadguy118 » 08 Mar 2009, 23:51

^ I'm pretty sure that without some form of abuse, most people will only encounter about 1-2 artifacts per playthrough. There is no real reason to add a bunch if most of them aren't going to appear in the game already, or at least that's what I think.

This and the new Heroes III expansion are good examples of why using stuff that is already available is better than trying to make your project from scratch, because there is a chance that you will actually finish it. *CoughMMTCough*
Back from the dead? Maybe.

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 12 Mar 2009, 00:39

So darknessfood, no response yet?

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 12 Mar 2009, 00:42

Saddly, no :(!

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 12 Mar 2009, 15:07

This and the new Heroes III expansion are good examples of why using stuff that is already available is better than trying to make your project from scratch, because there is a chance that you will actually finish it. *CoughMMTCough*
yeah, ive stopped waiting for that one, since they dont seem to make any progress at all lately (actual playable demo where yo can go around on a map, not click on some pictures?), fan projects can only be worked on for so many years before they simply die out of uninterest.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 12 Mar 2009, 16:15

Not really the uninterest, it's more the devotion of the team. That is what's leaking most...

EDIT: just saw some more screensshots. You will like it! They are awesome!

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 12 Mar 2009, 22:52

well interest and devotion can be the same thing. :)
EDIT: just saw some more screensshots. You will like it! They are awesome!
where? what?

Storm-giant
Minotaur
Minotaur

Unread postby Storm-giant » 12 Mar 2009, 23:01

Darkness, I wanna them :D

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 13 Mar 2009, 00:16

Be patient,they will come soon enough :)!

Armoured Blood
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Armoured Blood » 13 Mar 2009, 08:03

So how's this going? I looked in around september and again around december, and it was looking good. Don't give up :D

BTW, anything in particular you guys looking for? Only messed around with Doom builder and source SDK and a little bit of radiant and from what I've been reading the editing looks a lot different from map editors, but ya never know. And do you guys have a story ideas e-mail? I could write some ideas for a quest/dungeon/random piece of geography or something.

Turnoir Canyon, littered with minotaur and troll corpses from the border wars 8 months ago. Shades are rumored to haunt the honey-combed cliffs where the fighting was fiercest, locked in eternal spiritual combat. In the deepening shadows of twilight you see a guard tower etched from the cliffside, ruins of rock-throwers lying gutted out of the firing slits. Swiftly the sun sets over the cliffsides, and you make your way to the edge of the canyon.

But abruptly a light shines out from the tower, and you hear sounds of combat. The shades have awakened to fight their grim battle! You are caught in the crush of troll and minotaur spirits, dodging axes and clubs as they brutally impact their ectoplasmic targets. You fall back into the minotaur ranks, sensing a great malevolence from the trolls.

As you remove yourself from the front, a great minotaur warrior's spirit stands still, watching you. He notices your attention and speaks,"Adventurers, you see this carnage? It will continue forever unless the source is laid to rest, and my brethren are weary of this plane. We have fought the trolls back each night, and receive no reprieve in the day, as our fallen bodies lie exposed. The source is a fallen troll-shaman's curse, residing in his staff, cast err he was cut down. Destroy the staff, and we shall haunt this place no more. As reward, I will tell you my resting place, which has thankfully not been looted. There you will find my axe and trappings, which I hope will serve you well, for a time."

"Go now, and do not worry overmuch regarding the troll-shades. We have beaten them back to the top of their tower every night, why should this night be any different? My rams and I will break through for you, but take a few swings if you wish!" The minotaur grips his axe and calls to his rams, charging for the line, directly for the tower. You now notice that the stone-throwers are working, and dodge for cover as a rock hurtles into the minotaur next to you. You fear this shade-fight has suddenly become real ...
____________________________________________________________-

Well, that's off the top of my head. I like writing around midnight for some reason ...

Storm-giant
Minotaur
Minotaur

Unread postby Storm-giant » 13 Mar 2009, 09:53

I'll wait anxious(though patient)

@Armoured Blood: That stroy was freaking awesome :yes: :applause:

Return to “Might and Magic”