Might & Magic 10; been in development for years + teaser

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
jeffh
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby jeffh » 03 Mar 2009, 06:58

My first thought on reading that is "he's likely to be flattered, but very concerned about the legalities of the name, and possibly other elements". In the long run you'll probably need to call it something else anyway, so I would have said "The working title of the project is..." or something like that.

Having said all that - best of luck!

pirvix
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby pirvix » 03 Mar 2009, 14:53

Ok, darknessfood, I just added you on msn and hopefully JvC will reply on that mail, great job making it :D Let's think, how would we feel if we were in JvC's place when that e-mail gets to him.......
Might and Magic X official website:
http://www.mightandmagic10.thegaminguniverse.com/

cirion
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

website?

Unread postby cirion » 03 Mar 2009, 15:13

with the origanal release month looming, i cant help but have the famous "british sceptisum" so i apologise in advance for the rest of this post.
first of all i am impressed and proud to be part of a fan base that is so commited to the game that they are trying to create a sequel so good on you guys its fantastic what your doing. but...

i havnt heard anything about this website that you posted should be up 5-6 months before the games completion.

even if you do rename the game for legality issues wont you still need the "ok" from the original M&M staff since you are copying most of the game. (by that i mean when the credits roll in M&M there are like over 100 people involved)

you have mentioned that (due to legality or what-not) it might have to be purchased rather then downloaded which im quiet happy to do as i can confidently say after reading 30pages so will everyone else, but... that will require money from you guys to put into marketing, packageing, cd's etc which im not sure if its been thought of. and since your not a company (by that i mean ubisoft/EA/3DO/pandemic) just a group of people (which is totally fine) it might not be picked up by production companies should u need it to.

im so sorry, iv just read my post and its enough to top yourself, so i am truly sorry as i am so desperate for this to work and become a success so please please dont get disheartened, as i said its just british sceptisisum.

Vector
Pixie
Pixie

Re: website?

Unread postby Vector » 03 Mar 2009, 15:44

cirion wrote:with the origanal release month looming, i cant help but have the famous "british sceptisum" so i apologise in advance for the rest of this post.
first of all i am impressed and proud to be part of a fan base that is so commited to the game that they are trying to create a sequel so good on you guys its fantastic what your doing. but...

i havnt heard anything about this website that you posted should be up 5-6 months before the games completion.

even if you do rename the game for legality issues wont you still need the "ok" from the original M&M staff since you are copying most of the game. (by that i mean when the credits roll in M&M there are like over 100 people involved)

you have mentioned that (due to legality or what-not) it might have to be purchased rather then downloaded which im quiet happy to do as i can confidently say after reading 30pages so will everyone else, but... that will require money from you guys to put into marketing, packageing, cd's etc which im not sure if its been thought of. and since your not a company (by that i mean ubisoft/EA/3DO/pandemic) just a group of people (which is totally fine) it might not be picked up by production companies should u need it to.

im so sorry, iv just read my post and its enough to top yourself, so i am truly sorry as i am so desperate for this to work and become a success so please please dont get disheartened, as i said its just british sceptisisum.
I will admit the website came along slower than we expected; my fault since I put most of my time into the game files rather than a website, but no worries, we brought someone on board to help out in that aspect and the site should be up and running in about 1 to 2 weeks (This will be part of the next big update coming soon).

To answer your third question, I don't know why fans think they might have to end up purchasing this game? This game is absolutely FREE; we have no right to sell anything pertaining to the game files. We did mention: For those unable to download such a huge file, we can put it on CD for them in which they will need to supply the cost of the CD. In any event, I believe I will scratch this idea because there seems to be a lot of confusion concerning this aspect and I don't want people to get the idea that we are charging for the game, especially those involved in legal matters. Also, if worse comes to worse, we can change the name of the game, but so far, we have not received any red flags (If we do, a simple name change is not that big of a deal).

To answer your second question, there will be new credits for the game. Also, we didn't copy most of the material in the game, we merely duplicated the LOD files and replaced everything in them with our own material so that the file as a whole would be compatible with the MM6-8 engine (If we did not do this, there would not be a MMX using this engine because as far as I know, it's impossible to create brand new LOD files; someone correct me if I am wrong). I don't know if this is hard to understand or not, but the question gets brought up every now and again.

No worries about your questions; there are a bunch of M&M fan projects that have fallen to the way side, and it is understandable to ask, 'why would this one be any different.' Have faith ;)

Vector
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Vector » 03 Mar 2009, 15:53

Ok guys, I have made a revision to the FAQ on the first page of this thread. To avoid issues of confusion and legality, for those of you who have poor internet connection, there will no longer be an option to have the game put on compact disk for you. The game is 100% FREE and will be downloadable upon release. Sorry for the confusion guys, but better safe than sorry.

pirvix
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby pirvix » 03 Mar 2009, 17:03

but, I'm quite convinced, that it won't be such a problem downloading the game, if I had my old laptop(with unbelievably slow speed) I would have waited weeks (heck, months) even for it ;)
Might and Magic X official website:
http://www.mightandmagic10.thegaminguniverse.com/

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 03 Mar 2009, 17:11

Yeah, and most demo's these days are like 1.5 gig. If you can download that, downloading this game isn't going to be a problem...
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 03 Mar 2009, 19:29

..I still don't see anything wrong with a "free will" donation. Some people put a lot of hours into this. What's the common response when people have money to throw away? People are gonna spend their money on some junk anyway; specially if it's a new game.
Let's see; price of a new game $70, a new PC $700, M&MX, priceless!

We could always call it "NOT M&MX"!

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 03 Mar 2009, 19:56

Donations are welcome. E-mail darknessfood@live.nl ! :devious:

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 03 Mar 2009, 20:06

Just send your donations to me, I'll make sure it gets to them :devil:

Darknessfood, I wonder what was the subject of the email? I hope it didn't get automatically sent to the spam folder or something :S. I can imagine more people try to contact him regularly about M&M.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 03 Mar 2009, 20:14

The subject was "question to Jon van Caneghem", or something similar...

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 03 Mar 2009, 22:59

Ok no problem then :D

theroyalbard
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Location: Asia, just explore it and make sure you put Lloyd's beacon if you found it!

Unread postby theroyalbard » 04 Mar 2009, 00:28

Good day (or evening)!

As I've promised I'll be making a few samples for the game's soundtrack. But due to lack of time making an original one at the moment, why don't you listen first to this piece I arranged based from an MM6 soundtrack? :D

http://files.filefront.com/MOV09002MPG/ ... einfo.html

(this is quite large, about 300 mb, it's a video)

I got the theme from adventuring town exploration 2 or what we call the New Sorpigal theme (as I mentioned before, is one of my faves up to now).

This was yesterday on our orchestration class. We were tasked to arrange any piece we like for a string quartet (2 violins, 1 viola, 1 cello) and I figured out that this would be interesting if I put them on strings.

Before you listen, be warned that the players were sight reading (reading the notes in the first time) so some melodic lines were not executed very well. They are great readers, it's just that the piece was hand written because our professor told us to, and I have the worst hand writing so it's kind of hard to them to read. I know it's a little awful to hear but if you're really a fan you'll appreciate this.

I put it in the key of g minor in the first half, then it went to the d minor afterwards, which is the original. I tried to make it a little cinematic, but I what I said, they were still feeling the piece.

Some of my personal comments, though some are way too musically specific, sorry it's just my thing to describe my work :

you can hear the slip of the violin in 00:26 were it suppose to be flat, that is if you really know the exact theme :)

2:06-2:37 - I call this the climax, and it's remarkably clear that this almost sounds like the original.

Sorry there's a lot of noise in the background, oh and those are my classmates by the way
:D

Hope you like it.

(I keep putting long descriptions these days, ah well, I should get back to my siesta time!) B-)

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 04 Mar 2009, 01:21

..350mb file; kinda asking a lot there..

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 04 Mar 2009, 02:39

Listening to it,it sounds A LOTlike the music in New Sorpigal. It sounds good. Some miner mistakes, but you get to record it multiple times and make it good. We know now that the music writing is allright. Next time, show us your composing skills :), a good start!

theroyalbard
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Location: Asia, just explore it and make sure you put Lloyd's beacon if you found it!

Unread postby theroyalbard » 04 Mar 2009, 04:06

Variol wrote:..350mb file; kinda asking a lot there..
I know, youtube here sucks it takes a lot of hours to upload it there. But I'll give it a try.
darknessfood wrote:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2:39 Post subject:
Listening to it,it sounds A LOTlike the music in New Sorpigal. It sounds good. Some miner mistakes, but you get to record it multiple times and make it good. We know now that the music writing is allright. Next time, show us your composing skills smile, a good start!
Yes it is, I almost crop the same material and add some of my ideas. I will try to compose soon though I may have a little time to do it now because of my upcoming piano recital in a few weeks so I need to finish this first. Thanks.

Justice
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Justice » 04 Mar 2009, 23:24

Trying to download it :)

Would be quite nice if you felt a wild urge to post the M&M arrangements online :D I never took any composing classes or theory since music only is my hobby, but I'm able to play pretty much everything (that excludes insane contemporary classical music with continuous 3 octave jumps up and down and the speed of a minor rocket) as long as I have the notes, and playing M&M music on my tuba would leave my friends flabbergasted :devious:

skinothetis1
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby skinothetis1 » 05 Mar 2009, 00:06

theroyalbard nice try. If you can get a little easy on the violins?I mean i don't want a violin in my head when playing the game, will drive me nuts :D
Actually my metal was mostly Judas Priest,Manowar,Running Wild,Saxon.That kind of stuff.Of course best band in the world = AC/DC but they are more on the rock side.
On the "godly creatures". Well Jesus was also born, so if he is a godly creature then ok Greek GODS are godly creatures.
May i also inform you that i'm from Greece :-D
So the point is that they are MY ANCESTORS GODS and i can call them however i like :mad: :rofl:

So the site is coming up.Great i got tired of playing Temple of elemental evil, waiting for the new Might & Magic.

darknessfood what game Jon van Caneghem is involved to?You said something about a new game he is involved in?
You have nowhere to run Sheltem. Nore do you!You motherf$#(*@ device!!

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 05 Mar 2009, 00:11

I believe he's working on a MMORPG...

Deadguy118
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Deadguy118 » 05 Mar 2009, 00:32

The thing with the music of Might and Magic is that it is focused on strings and... harpsichords? Nonetheless, I wish you luck in your composing duties for this game.
Back from the dead? Maybe.

Return to “Might and Magic”