Might & Magic 10; been in development for years + teaser

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Jac456
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Jac456 » 08 Dec 2008, 17:51

WOW!! i hav just made an account to follow this!! it honestly looks amazing!! I've played every M&M game and I have to say this is somthing im REAALLLYYY looking forward to :D i absolutly caant wait for this please please post more images and maybe some play test vids :-D although i have to ask about the beginning of the game almost everything so far has concentrated on the awsome relics (luv the green royal leather btw :-D ) and the difficult dungeons like the dragon caves and the place that looks very similar to the land of the titans but what will low levels do and what will they train on because although it isnt hugely interesting it hasnt been mentioned as of yet ;) Also if u need some ideas for the game PM me I know im new to the site but I have alot of knowlage of the M&M games and would love to help this project in any way poss :D
Last edited by Jac456 on 08 Dec 2008, 17:52, edited 1 time in total.

Deyja

Unread postby Deyja » 08 Dec 2008, 17:52

darknessfood wrote:This is not really a mod, it's a stand-alone game :)!
well you need M&M game so its a mod or better say :total conversion !

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 08 Dec 2008, 18:14

Once again. It's a standalone game. You do not need a previous M&M game installed to your computer...
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 08 Dec 2008, 18:26

Yes you do, DarknessFood.

Jac456
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Jac456 » 08 Dec 2008, 18:29

lol yea i just read through all 21 pages and it says you will need one of M&M 6-8 although which one has not yet been decided .

as I asked before but was ignored lol does anyone know anything about the start of the game etc :)

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 08 Dec 2008, 18:52

Sorry about that. I just found it too difficult to read your first post, since it had no punctuation.

We can't reveal any storyline information, but the beginning of the game will be a little more difficult than usual. You will be thrown into the deep end (that's not to say that it'll be ridiculously tough, just that you can't go everywhere in the first area at the start).

Jac456
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Jac456 » 08 Dec 2008, 19:00

lol yea sorry about my awful grammer :). Well it sounds good will the start be similar to Might and magic 7's then?

Vector
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Vector » 08 Dec 2008, 19:40

skinothetis1 wrote:Well yeah but we ll would like to see a small video.
I can honestly say I don't know if we will do this or not. It would be great to have, but it would also just be something else we would have to add to the already overwhelming amount of things to do. Screenshots are far easier to accomplish in my opinion. I know games like 'Wizards Islands' for Morrowind had videos for their game, but the problem was that they spent a great deal of time making them, and things like that pro-longed its' release for quite some time. I'm leaning toward focusing more of our efforts on the actual game.
Big Daddy Jim wrote:I agree that this project is somewhat ambitious, but I believe that, in-time, they will produce a new game worthy of the MM legacy. They have gathered to themselves several highly motivated, knowledgeable, and dedicated MM fans who will 'drive' the team to completion. At least that's my hope.

Just remember, a project of this size takes alot of time.

I realize that 'coding up' the game is one of the last tasks prior to validation/play testing, and is probably somewhat future to the current stage of MMX development. Since I have had a modicum of success coding the MM7 and MM8 Event Language, perhaps I could be of some assist at debugging those areas of code that don't seem to be working due to game-engine anamolies. I am not currently 'up to' a complete coding project, but I could do some code debugging or perhaps offer a suggestion or-two as problems are identified.
BDJ
Thanks so much for your support. Yes, this will take quite some time to complete and, as you say, is very ambitious; thank goodness we did not have to start completely from scratch like many of the other fan based games. But, as long as we maintain our highly motivated developers, this game will be a success.

Also, it would be great to be able to contact you as we come along problems with the event language as you are the most knowledgeable person in that aspect. As you say though, this is a project for the future as many other game aspects need to be developed to perfection before we start linking and coding everything together.
jeff4815 wrote:It's for free. I'm not sure how money could help a project like this, anyways, unless the people making it are actually paying for it in some form.
Jeff is correct, no money will be needed or required, nor do we need money to make it, as it costs us nothing as well. In no way, shape, or form will this require fans to pay.
darknessfood wrote:Once again. It's a standalone game. You do not need a previous M&M game installed to your computer...
Hmm... just to clarify this, as I see there is some confusion. You absolutely need a previous M&M game installed onto your computer. This has to be done whether this game was to be a mod, total conversion, standalone, etc, etc. Technically, we could release this as a standalone game with all neccessary files in the extraction exe file, but I do believe that would definitely be illegal.
Jac456 wrote:as I asked before but was ignored lol does anyone know anything about the start of the game etc :)
The story is still being worked on with handfulls of dungeon styles to be decided upon, that includes the intro area. The information we are currently providing is somewhat vague for two reasons: not to spoil the game, but also because we work on one aspect at time, and the game intro has only been done as far as words. For example, there are lots of screenshots of items; that is because it's what I've worked on as far as images. Coming soon will be screenshots of interior dungeon cells, and probably nothing else as that is the next aspect I will work on until I move onto something else. Basically, we complete one thing and move onto the next; don't want to spead ourselves too thin. Basically what I am saying, there is not enough information to detail out the intro, and even if there was, we don't want to spoil it for you all.

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 08 Dec 2008, 21:46

Hmm... just to clarify this, as I see there is some confusion. You absolutely need a previous M&M game installed onto your computer. This has to be done whether this game was to be a mod, total conversion, standalone, etc, etc. Technically, we could release this as a standalone game with all neccessary files in the extraction exe file, but I do believe that would definitely be illegal.
just for the legal case or does your project need some files from the original game?
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 08 Dec 2008, 23:05

I though that was the plan, guess I missunderstood ... :creative:

Herry Hardfoot
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Herry Hardfoot » 09 Dec 2008, 06:01

Creating a game like this requires a tremendous investment of time and energy. Making screenshots, videos, and other 'teasers' for the fans means less time available for actually completing the game. I much prefer to wait in quiet anticipation of the final product, rather than pestering the modders for advance goodies. If the project takes years, then so be it--quality can't be rushed.

...just one opinion among the many in this thread

koval321
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby koval321 » 09 Dec 2008, 07:30

Herry Hardfoot wrote:Making screenshots, videos, and other 'teasers' for the fans means less time available for actually completing the game.
Am not sure about that. Each person is limited by time and energy (let say motivation) Big project chave chances when have A: big team, and B: everyone known what to do. So its wise to invest all free time and energy to A: find more members, and B: make clearly plan of whole project.

As you see making screenshoots, reveal more informations could help.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 09 Dec 2008, 10:18

Screenshots will happen :)...

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 09 Dec 2008, 13:38

Talin_Trollbane wrote:
just for the legal case or does your project need some files from the original game?
ahem? ;)

pirvix
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby pirvix » 09 Dec 2008, 14:53

Hey I haven't been around the forum much lately, so it's time for me to ask som questions : :creative:

I really hope that this hasn't been mentioned before but what will the party sellection mechanism be like? Like mm6 and mm7(where you could choose the whole party at the begining) or like in mm8(where you only choose one member a the begining)?

Vector
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Vector » 09 Dec 2008, 17:51

Talin_Trollbane wrote:just for the legal case or does your project need some files from the original game?
I believe I mentioned it before, but this game uses original MM content as a basis to make a new game; we did not start from scratch. We just port the original files over, and replace what was inside of them with the exception of key files that make up the MM6-8 styling. For example, we use a Icons.LOD file from a previous MM game, but replace nearly every bitmap file within it thus creating new content.
pirvix wrote:Hey I haven't been around the forum much lately, so it's time for me to ask som questions : :creative:

I really hope that this hasn't been mentioned before but what will the party sellection mechanism be like? Like mm6 and mm7(where you could choose the whole party at the begining) or like in mm8(where you only choose one member a the begining)?
MM6 & MM7; you will create your party.

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 10 Dec 2008, 16:59

I believe I mentioned it before, but this game uses original MM content as a basis to make a new game; we did not start from scratch. We just port the original files over, and replace what was inside of them with the exception of key files that make up the MM6-8 styling. For example, we use a Icons.LOD file from a previous MM game, but replace nearly every bitmap file within it thus creating new content.
ah, i see. :)

carry on, godspeed.

Stryfer
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Stryfer » 10 Dec 2008, 21:10

Interesting how everyone states this an ambitious project which will take years and might not see completetion...Is it just me or is the "been in development for years" in the topic title a mislead? The way I understand it, they kept quiet about the whole thing and waited untill they knew it would be made to announce it. Plus, they already gave us some estimated release date. It'll probably change but it's still something HUGE!

I have no doubts that it will be made, it will be good and will be out within then next year :D

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 10 Dec 2008, 23:27

Thank you stryfer. And indeed, there is some work done alredy. Only thing why there was some kind of a holdback, was that there were SO MANY projects announced, and they were eventualy just good dreams. We tend to make our dream, and hopefully some of your dreams come true (man that was deep)...

kaan_dt
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby kaan_dt » 10 Dec 2008, 23:33

No one answered my question yet? Will the animations in shops, castles or houses will be taken from previous games??

Return to “Might and Magic”