Might & Magic 10; been in development for years + teaser

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
bungleau
Scout
Scout

Unread postby bungleau » 20 Nov 2008, 17:19

I haven't read all 16 pages and probably won't, so let me chime in on the last page or so.

Amen to easter eggs. Finding 'em is half the fun... like looking for Rocks instead of rocks... :)

I personally have found the Stealing skill useless. No one's ever had anything I wanted to steal that I couldn't just buy.

IIRC, there's only been one place that required Perception... temple of Baa in MM7, methinks. It's never done a lot for me... kind of like diplomacy.

I've always enjoyed the open nature of MM games. The thrill of teleporting into Dragonsand and running around like a scared chicken (which wouldn't be far from the truth!) as a level one is exhilarating... you should have the option to kill yourself if you see fit.

Play on!

*B*

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 20 Nov 2008, 18:59

If that's possible, then I would rather have the ability to select all four starting skills.

Since I usually take the same four classes each time..

DarthVadre
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby DarthVadre » 20 Nov 2008, 19:17

bungleau wrote:IIRC, there's only been one place that required Perception... temple of Baa in MM7, methinks. It's never done a lot for me... kind of like diplomacy.
You need perception in the Supreme Temple of Baa in MM6 I think, and there's this Eep chapel thing in MM8 that's almost impossible without it.
Your perception determines your experience.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 20 Nov 2008, 22:58

Yeah, developers will be in game. That's an idea we were thinking of (kinda like in BDJm's mod). That is something nice for yourself (as developer as well)...
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 21 Nov 2008, 06:26

and, are ya gonna take names for the NPCs from the forums? :)

feel free to use mine, if ya want to :P
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

Stryfer
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Stryfer » 21 Nov 2008, 10:02

MM8 was full of uses for perception :) It had plenty of chests behind walls.

As for stealing, Icewind Dale did it right. When you pickpocketed someone in Icewind Dale you got an item which was slightly stronger than what you could get in shops at that time. So for stealing, why not give slightly better items to SOME npc's, this would reward the thieves. "Hey look at that! This guy had a 3d4 + 4 sword and the shops here only sell 3d4." Also, if you made coin a little more scarce or the prices for some items a little higher, then stealing would be very profitable.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 21 Nov 2008, 13:40

Talin_Trollbane wrote:and, are ya gonna take names for the NPCs from the forums? :)

feel free to use mine, if ya want to :P
The team will talk about that. We shall discuss some easter eggs and the names that will be shown :)...

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 21 Nov 2008, 22:08

Hmm, interesting to see the debate my suggestion caused. I think everybody seems to share the opinion that my idea is bad :P
Well, I've explained my reasoning for it, and I have to say you guys make a good point.
Stryfer wrote:MM8 was full of uses for perception :) It had plenty of chests behind walls.

As for stealing, Icewind Dale did it right. When you pickpocketed someone in Icewind Dale you got an item which was slightly stronger than what you could get in shops at that time. So for stealing, why not give slightly better items to SOME npc's, this would reward the thieves. "Hey look at that! This guy had a 3d4 + 4 sword and the shops here only sell 3d4." Also, if you made coin a little more scarce or the prices for some items a little higher, then stealing would be very profitable.
You'd need mind magic for it, though.. To plunder the NPC's, I mean. Otherwise you'd be pointlessly clicking all of 'em. A thief doesn't have mind magic. Still, a good idea.

pirvix
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby pirvix » 24 Nov 2008, 21:47

What about monsters? Can we get any info on what foes we will face? Will you import some old ones or is the majority of the monsters going to be made and drawn by the team?

Storm-giant
Minotaur
Minotaur

Unread postby Storm-giant » 24 Nov 2008, 22:15

You know that a good M&M game have inside a arcomage deck ;)
Anyway keep up the good work and take all the time needed.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 24 Nov 2008, 23:14

Storm-giant wrote:You know that a good M&M game have inside a arcomage deck ;)
Anyway keep up the good work and take all the time needed.
Thanks, we don't want to rush things, now do we? As for the monsters, we will be bringing back some classics (did anybody miss the Titans in MM8, I did) and dragons, that sort of stuff...

Stryfer
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Stryfer » 25 Nov 2008, 00:08

Ahh, the good ol' days! When I first started playing an MM game (mm8) I spent the first 2 hours at the tavern playing arcomage :-D
So I'm sure you guys won't skip it.
To be honest though, after two titles with arcomage it might be fun to see something new, yet similar. Although I fear that it's just wishful thinking unless the whole game is made from scratch... :(
Would be cool if it was possible though...

DarthVadre
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby DarthVadre » 25 Nov 2008, 16:25

Arcomage was really fun, I would really like to see it in Might and Magic 10, with one key change: The ability to build your own deck. I'm not quite sure how the game mechanic would work, maybe there could be chests located in an imaginary (impossible to get to) to store cards, with one chest acting as the built deck. I'm not sure how reasonable this is, I hope I didn't just confuse everyone.

Captain Emo
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Captain Emo » 25 Nov 2008, 19:49

Arcomage have/must be in there. Good old game, wasn't it not sell as a stand alone game? I know there was some fan made ones, but I can't find them.

@DarthVadre

What do you exactly mean with building an own deck?

Greetings
Captain Emo

vladimir-maestro
Genie
Genie

Unread postby vladimir-maestro » 25 Nov 2008, 20:23

can't find Arcomage???
lol
I've have it but not sure if you can download it.
http://mm7-maestro-mod.3dn.ru/load/1-1-0-3
try this
You can contact me here:
maestro_mod@yahoo.com
vladud @ yandex.ru - preferred one
---
Site about MODs: http://www.mmgames.ru
---
if you wish to upload some materials for this site - let me know.

Captain Emo
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Captain Emo » 25 Nov 2008, 20:54

This is only for Russians downloadable the site says and I don't mean because of the language. But thanks anyway, maybe I have a backup from the program I'm talking about somewhere.

Greetings
Captain Emo

Stryfer
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Stryfer » 26 Nov 2008, 00:23

Vadre, if you are thinking of turning arcomage into a TCG, that would ruin it. There are too few cards to have an actual selection and some cards are very powerful, thus building your own deck would make it unbalanced.

However, i agrre that having a TCG built in the game would be very fun! It's why I wished that there would be a diff yet similar game. I've made a few card games in magic workstation before, although i never published any for various reasons (the main one being that i suck at graphics) and I know I could make a good arcomage clone using the heroes of MM as a base...but like i said, i doubt its possible to make a new card game...

Well as long as we can have the old arcomage, things are good :D

I'm wondering a lot about the progress of through the game. MM7 and especially MM8 are very fast paced games and with medicore difficulty. While as (for me at least) MM6 is a lot slower and much more difficult. It probably isnt if i make the right party, but that just takes the customization away. To this day i haven't beaten MM6 for that reason...
I just want to know, what are you going for: Easy for everyone or challenging for the veterans? Would you aim for making it beatable without a cleric for example?

skinothetis1
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby skinothetis1 » 26 Nov 2008, 00:39

I wouldn't like to have arcomage on an important quest.Am i the only person i got bored on visiting all the taverns to finish the arco quest?
Also the difficulty in my opinion must be medium to hard but not extremely hard. If you want to punish yourself you can take 4 clerics :tired:
You have nowhere to run Sheltem. Nore do you!You motherf$#(*@ device!!

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 26 Nov 2008, 04:30

skinothetis1 wrote:I wouldn't like to have arcomage on an important quest.Am i the only person i got bored on visiting all the taverns to finish the arco quest?
Also the difficulty in my opinion must be medium to hard but not extremely hard. If you want to punish yourself you can take 4 clerics :tired:
i liked Acromage, it was a fun game in the game :)
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

DarthVadre
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby DarthVadre » 26 Nov 2008, 04:32

skinothetis1 wrote:I wouldn't like to have arcomage on an important quest.Am i the only person i got bored on visiting all the taverns to finish the arco quest?
No, you're just the only one on these forums who did :P

Return to “Might and Magic”