Might & Magic 10; been in development for years + teaser

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 13 Oct 2008, 21:18

Justice wrote:He is from the Netherlands (I think), don't pay too much notice to his strange comments ;|
Hmm... How shall we torture this infidel, darknessfood? :devil:

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 14 Oct 2008, 08:33

Jazeker gast, wat denk je er van, eerst de benen of de armen :D. Trouwens, WEER EEN NEDERLANDER GESPOT!!
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 14 Oct 2008, 10:54

Lol, we gaan langzaam het internet overnemen B-)

*cough* so uhm, yeah, how's the game coming along? :D

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 14 Oct 2008, 19:05

Well, pretty good from wich i can see. Programmers are programming, writers are writing, and artists are eeeeerrmmm, artisting :p (sorry bad joke). Well, this week there will be another update available, and maybe a quest i wrote as well, you'll find out soon enough :)!

Justice
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Justice » 15 Oct 2008, 17:34

I do actually understand Dutch :| And it is true, folks from the Netherlands are strange, but most of them are nice enough too and far more "normal" than people from the Faroe Islands :)

But looking forwards to more info on the game.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 16 Oct 2008, 22:15

Hey there people. We know that the weekly update is late this time but trust me, it WILL be worth it. A BIG update is comming tommorow that will give you more insight of the game. Will not tell what is is of course.Just thought I ould tell that we haven't forgotten the update yet :)!

MM7today
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby MM7today » 17 Oct 2008, 08:59

*Ik hoop dat er filmmateriaal of in ieder geval beelden zijn ^^*

Bowerbank
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Cool :)

Unread postby Bowerbank » 17 Oct 2008, 09:01

been following this for a short wile finally found out how to register and then discovering ive registered for this site before :proud:

im really looking forward to this idea as some of my friends are too. good luck :D ;)

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 17 Oct 2008, 13:35

Well, MM7Today might be in the right direction ;)!

Vector
Pixie
Pixie

Update with Screens!

Unread postby Vector » 17 Oct 2008, 13:47

Now an update for all of you watching this thread ever so closely. First we want to say thank you for all those helping us in the production of MMX, and to the fans supporting us. I must say that if there was not a strong and ongoing M&M community, we would not be working so hard to complete this game. Things are coming along quite nicely, and we continue to look for you help, suggestions, and support. Thank you all.

We are nearly complete with the additional specialty items created; it was to originally be limited to around sixty, but we expanded, modified, and replaced items we just were not happy with to bring our total to 100. I’m sure many of you will be excited to find an overwhelming amount of fantastic equipment scattered throughout the game. I think these items are the best to ever be seen in a Might and Magic game. We are putting the finishing touches on the Artifacts/Relics guide and will soon be moving on to different aspects of development.

We thought we would share with you just what needs to be done in order to bring to life many of the items we created. As mentioned, a sword can take a couple of days to develop in order to meet the level of perfection we desire, but this is only one bitmap image and not comparable to the amount of time other items require. Armor is one of those ‘other items,’ and is on a completely different level. Each set of armor has four subsets pertaining to each character type in the game. For example, in MM7 you would have a set of armor designed for dwarfs, goblins, humans, and elves. Not to go too in depth, but when all said and done, a set of armor can consist of thirteen bitmap images, and that takes a lot of time to make. Here is an example of one set of armor:

We also do a lot of preliminary rendering; this armor for example has been made in a variety of colors, but only one will be chosen:

Our quest line is coming along nicely, and now that we are starting to accumulate a good amount of them, we can start designing the quest items. Promotion quests are nearly half way complete, and there are a number of side quests already made. I’m sure when Darknessfood is done with this aspect of the game, we will find more work for him to do. All in all though, he has been doing an absolutely wonderful job in this area.

Our storyline is coming along very nicely, and I am astonished with how great a job Corlagon is doing. His writing skills are amazing, and the plotline is very entertaining. I’m sure many of you are eagerly awaiting news regarding the plotline, or even the regions, and that will come in due time. But, that is not to say I can not part with a bit of information: the continents of Colony are named Jadame, Enroth, Antagarich, and Karigor, this chain of islands is called Glorennes, and it is here where MMX takes place. Here we have a diverse set of islands, many with their own history. Your journey begins on the small desert island of Kulvash. Occupied by necromancers ages ago, the island has now become a haven for treasure hunters and their expeditions, all in search of remnants of a once formidable kingdom.

Here we have the town portal map. It is by far from complete, and still needs extensive work done to it. But here you can see the general layout of Glorennes:

I do not know if it has been mentioned in this thread or not, but I do not want to read the previous seven pages to find out. MMX will have a game manual, and will contain journal entries as the previous M&M games did. This will give you insight to events preceding the game as well as a bit of history. The manual will likely be posted on the website once up and running, and will also be contained within the download package. So, read your journals once you get your hands on them!

There has also been discussion of item descriptions; this is a tedious job that requires much time and attention as there are hundreds that need to be made. We are using the history of Glorennes and the history of previous M&M games in order to do this. This will give you all something new, and bring back memories of the preceding games. This has to be done to perfection so that past M&M canon is not interfered with. Here are some Artifacts and Relics that have been completed:

We are trying to make things as interesting as possible; the first above item relates to Morglin Ironfist and his reign, the second item brings to life a mythological sword for those who know their history, and the last item plays to the tradition of keeping things vague like many of the Artifact/Relic descriptions from previous games.

Here are a group of axes; small, medium, and large. Would you like the kids-meal, regular, or do you want to super-size it? :D

We will be moving on to different aspects of game development in the coming weeks, so there won’t be any more images of equipment unless we feel it necessary to post more on the website upon its’ release. Enjoy them!

Again, thanks to all of you following the production of MMX.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 17 Oct 2008, 14:26

Thanks for the kind words Vector. Well, that was the update for the week.Didn't I tell you it was a big one :D!

Justice
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Justice » 17 Oct 2008, 22:35

Looks very nice indeed.- Just do me a favor and release the game sometime when I have holidays :D

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 17 Oct 2008, 23:32

Well, we try and be done at Marchnext year. So get your vacation days :D!

Lord13
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Lord13 » 18 Oct 2008, 01:14

Nice update Vector, thx for keeping us informed for this
project. Needless to say that I am more anxious to see
it finished now. Keep it up :-D
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...
Only heroes live forever!

DarthVadre
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby DarthVadre » 18 Oct 2008, 02:42

Nice project. In theory couldn't you combine Enroth, Erathia, and Jadame? I guess that's for another project.

I read somewhere quite a way back that you didn't yet have anyone to write the dialog for peasants. I don't know if you've found anyone yet, but I'm willing to help with that.

Edit: And item descriptions as well, though I don't know the MM history too well. I've beaten MM7 and MM8, and nearly MM6, if that helps.

The Oracle
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby The Oracle » 19 Oct 2008, 07:18

I am a big fan of M&M. In fact, I sincerely believe that MM6 and MM7 are the best RPG games ever. And naturally, I am very excited about this project. I don't know if it is doable, but here is an idea:

What if "things" are randomized at the start of each New Game. Some of the "things" that come to my mind are

Teachers/Quest Givers: Their locations (City and House) randomized. Including promotion quest givers.
Promotion Quests: For example, Cleric 1st promotion can become Knight 2nd promotion if you start a new game. The difficulty of the monsters that you have to fight along the way can be adjusted to the promotion level.
Monsters: Monsters can be redistributed among the cities/dungeons at the start of a new game. Monsters keep their abilities, but their overall strength (hit points, resistances, damages, etc.) can be adjusted to the city/dungeon they reside in.

I think this would add more challenge to each replay.

Please keep up the great work. I wish you the best of luck. Godspeed.

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 19 Oct 2008, 14:21

The Oracle wrote:blablabla
I lost it :D

Nice update! :-D

If no one can lie when they have the Sword of Voracity, then how come it's "said" to have fallen from the heavens? Shouldn't they know wether or not it is? Simply trying to say it has will prove wether or not it has indeed fallen from the heavens :|

BMJedi
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BMJedi » 19 Oct 2008, 18:19

If it makes people tell the truth, shouldn't it be called the 'Sword of Veracity?

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 19 Oct 2008, 18:40

Erm, it is. :D

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 19 Oct 2008, 20:43

BMJedi wrote:If it makes people tell the truth, shouldn't it be called the 'Sword of Veracity?
:p my fault, not theirs.

Return to “Might and Magic”