Might & Magic 10; been in development for years + teaser

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Vector
Pixie
Pixie

Might & Magic 10; been in development for years + teaser

Unread postby Vector » 25 Jul 2008, 17:53

Where to begin; we have actually been working on this game for the past couple of years, and because it is a slow process, we have not released any information. Believe me when I say that it has been very hard coming to these message boards and resisting the urge to post something up about it. You never know what is going to happen, or who is going to do what. This game actually got underway when browsing the MM files and the discovery of unreleased material. With that, we found a way to put the material in the game. Long story short, our experiment brought about us designing a new game. Our concept is to create Might and Magic X, and pick up where Might and Magic VIII left off. Being that we want the game to fully resemble the environment of MM6-MM8, we will be using that particular engine. Though quite outdated, it is what makes those Might and Magic games so entertaining. Keep in mind there is that 1.5% chance that Ubisoft could say that they are developing Might and Magic X, but that is unlikely, so we are creating it for you, and have been for quite some time. Now that a tentative release date can be easily accessed, we would like to provide a little background on us and inform you of the game.

ABOUT US:

I am the lead designer, and my day job is, ironically, a Product Design Engineer; so I am the one in charge of creating the new icons package, bitmaps package, and other related images. I have much experience in the field, and creating these new packages has been very fun. With that, I also do some odds and ends, such as text and testing. Another team member is in charge of creating unique text for NPC’s, weapons, armor, and other various items, along with quests and, to a limited extent, the general storyline. Also, they will be in charge of creating and maintaining the website. They will be strictly in charge of the website once up and running, so we will be looking for recruitment in that area if possible. Our last team member is quality control; they run through the game and test for bugs and problems. For example, if we put new items in the game, they see if it is possible to obtain the item. We are looking for a couple of others to join our team, but we will get to that in a bit.

THE GAME:

The general layout of this game is exactly like its’ predecessors. You will still have that wonderful paper-doll layout, with that fantastic inventory interface. As stated, the game engine is that of MM6-MM8, so graphics are dated, but we don’t think dated graphics much bother us if we still surf the MM boards. Might and Magic X is no different than the previous releases in that you will get a great game with hours upon hours of enjoyment. The day of release is fast approaching, and we would very much like to meet that deadline; we have scheduled a future Friday date, that way fans can have the weekend to start the new game.

Much of the storyline is still in development, so we will not divulge too much information. We have bits and pieces, but need to get everything to flow nicely. Our storyline picks up where Might and Magic VIII left off. Before Escaton the Destroyer passed, he sent a message telling the ancients he failed; this in turn will present a set of problems that a new group of adventurers will have to rectify. There will be a sequence of main events that must be completed as well as a number of side quests that your party can complete upon their discretion. This game will be quite extensive, probably as lengthy as MM6 or MM7.

The continent of Might and Magic X will be set on the world of Enroth on the archipelago of islands between the continents of Jadame and Enroth. There will be one major island surrounded by other smaller ones with the climate ranging from tropical to desert along with a volcanic region. There will be newly designed tropical villages, desert towns, and perhaps a sunken city (our underwater region is still in discussion). We would like to have a snow covered region, but have not found a way to incorporate that as of yet, and may just discard the idea. Once our website is up, screenshots of potential regions will be viewable along with numerous other aspects of the game. We will post one teaser screenshot along with this thread so you can get an idea of what we are doing.

Travel on Might and Magic X will be dominant by ship, but on the main island, there will be stables. Travel becomes even more interesting when ships refuse to go to particular islands due to the danger involved. Travel can also be accomplished by teleportation and underground tunnels to select islands; this is usually reserved for high level parties being that those locations are not for the weak. You will still have the arena and the ability to travel there from a select location.

There will be new sprites, and we will incorporate many of the classics such as dragons, titans, genies, pirates, etc. Some sorely missed creatures will be back, such as thunder lizards, death knights, wyrms, etc. Most creatures will be imported from previous MM’s in order to give our game that classic feel, much of what we can not get in a game today.

There will be new character classes and races, but we will not get into that at the moment until we decide exactly what we are doing as certain character classes present potential problems. For example, if we were to incorporate dwarfs and humans, we would need two sets of X & Y coordinates for item placement on your character.

All new items! This is surprisingly the most complicated and time consuming part of making the game. For example, if we needed to make a sword, we would start from scratch and use Photoshop and Paint in order to render our new 2d creation; this would often take more than two days of work for us to be fully satisfied with our model. Attribute that with the hundreds of bitmap files within the ‘icons’ LOD file and you are looking at more than a couple years work. Everything will be newly rendered which means new characters, weapons, armor, books, quest items, etc. For example, there will be a complete new set of Artifacts and Relics which have already been completed:

•A total of 61 brand new Artifacts & Relics
•Designed in the tradition of MM6 MM7 & MM8
•All new graphic designs never before seen including:
-Completely new creations
-Previously unreleased MM material
-Highly modified material from MM6, MM7, & MM8
•32 Set Artifacts & Relics including:
-Quest Rewards (Much like Mordred in MM6)
-All new Obelisk treasure
-All new Archomage treasure
-Artifacts & Relics from boss kills (Much like mega-dragon in MM7)
-Select chests throughout the land
•29 Random Artifacts & Relics
•Two grandeur items unlike anything before!
•Most Artifacts & Relics ever offered in a MM game!

There are however some things that will remain the usual, but they are never-changing in the first place. Spells for example will remain unchanged for the most part.

CURRENT STATUS:

Obviously there is still much to do. Imaging and texturing should be done in about 5 months with newly compiled LOD files pertaining to bitmaps; this area took years to complete, so a five month outlook is very good. Landmass is only 25% complete; we have fully textured the new regions, but only have copies of landmass from a previous Might and Magic game. We need to be able to modify our landmass, but we will get to that in a bit. Event language, questing, and text are just about to get under way, so not much completed in that area. We are aware that some things seem impossible to do, but if it was done before in the originals, it can be done again, so we will not use the word ‘impossible.’ We will just say it is rather hard to do. If there are some situations that deem to be too hard for us to accomplish, we will work around it. Being that we have the majority of imaging complete, and will hopefully be recruiting help on areas not fully understood by us, a tentative release date has been provided in the FAQ below.

HELP:

We would like to involve the Might and Magic Community in our game, so if there are ideas or suggestions, please leave a post on this thread and we will surely read it. Also, the game has progressed enough in order to recruit a couple of people as we are in need of individuals with certain skills. Keep in mind that we need people who are serious and not going to abandon the group after a couple months. We are looking for about four people, two of which need to be highly knowledgeable of all Might and Magic history in order provide accurate information and to continue the ongoing storyline originally started by previous Might and Magics (excluding IX). We want the game to be firm in knowledge so that what happens in this game can become permanent Might and Magic history. We need one individual who can modify event language easily; we can, but are not very skilled, and it would delay release. Lastly, our biggest potential problem is creating new 3d landmass, or to be able to at least modify existing landmass; we have new textures applied to the associated regions, but the landmass, as well as buildings, need to be at least modifiable. We know some members here are very familiar with event language and some have even dabbled in the ability to modify landmass; it would be great if they were to hop on board. Also, it would not hurt if we had a couple of individuals to simulate text; for example, if your party were to walk into a house or talk to an individual, there would be topics to discuss. You would need good grammar and know how to spell; basically just type up potential discussion topics. We will inherently trust any individual who hops on board, so please keep any information provided to you under wraps so that the game is not spoiled.

FAQ:

What if Ubisoft releases a MMX?
We doubt it, not to mention Ubisoft abandoned the original storyline; we are fast approaching a decade since any news of a MMX. We will worry about it if that day ever comes, but not likely.

When is this game going to be released?
That is usually the first question on everybody’s mind. We are looking at a potential release date of May 22, 2009. Be aware that this is a tentative date, and it can change.

Is this a mod?
Absolutely not. A mod is a modification to a current game, this is all new material and an all new game. The only link to the upcoming Might and Magic X to its’ predecessors is the fact that we duplicated file formats from the originals to provide a foundation for our game; the information from those files was erased and replaced with our own for the most part.

What computer specs will I need?
The same you used for MM6-MM8; nothing more.

How much will this game cost?
Absolutely nothing, it’s free! This game will be freeware as Ubisoft technically owns the rights to the Might and Magic label.

Do we need to own a Might and Magic game in order to play it?
Yes! This game will require that you own one pertaining to either MM6-MM8, though we have not decided as to which yet. If not, you would be getting Might and Magic material without at least paying for the original. It would be illegal for us not to do so.

How will we get the game once it’s released?
It will be downloadable via our webpage or another site willing to host the project.

Will the game be easy to install?
No worries; this game will come with its’ own installation program, so you can sit back and relax while it installs into the proper directory.

Will this game fully function on Windows XP?
Yes it will; the download file will already contain the files needed to run on XP. Install it and play.

How can you create a new LOD file?
We didn’t, we used an existing LOD file, wiped out the original content and replaced it with our own content.

Why ignore Might and Magic IX?
I do not know if this particular question needs to be answered, but we were not a fan. Granted, some loved it, but putting a Might and Magic label on it was a let down.

How long will this game be?
A lot of time was and will be put into this game, and we are not rushing it out the door to make money obviously. We would like something as in depth as MM6, but we will be satisfied if it is on par with MM7; no less than that.

Will Might and Magic X be available in multiple languages?
It will be available in English only. If someone wants to translate the game in the coming months, then they would need to contact me.

Who is involved with this project right now?
Since the beginning, it has only been the three of us mentioned above, but we are looking for others to join.

Can we help?
Yes you can, we would like to involve the Might and Magic community in our project. If you have suggestions, requests on game content, or skills in any specific area, please leave a post. We have a high need for the individuals mentioned above. We will be constantly checking this thread, so you won’t go unanswered.

Can I be a beta tester?
The game will be tested thoroughly among the group and selected individuals before distribution. However, there is still much that needs to be accomplished before we worry about beta testing.

Upon this games completion, will there be Might and Magic XI?
The outlook is good, but we will not say for sure.

Here is the teaser screenshot we promised, an outlook to future Artifacts and Relics that can possibly be in the game. Keep in mind that we designed 100 Artifacts and Relics, but will only be picking 61, so everything you see may not be in the game. Please remember that these are our images and would not like others pirating our content into their project; we would not do that to you. Thank you.

Last edited by Vector on 03 Mar 2009, 15:46, edited 1 time in total.

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 25 Jul 2008, 18:11

Looks interesting! Can you please post some outdoor or dungeon screenshots?
What if Ubisoft releases a MMX?
We doubt it, not to mention Ubisoft abandoned the original storyline; we are fast approaching a decade since any news of a MMX. We will worry about it if that day ever comes, but not likely.
That's not what you should worry about - one day Ubisoft might simply ask you to stop the project as they hold the copyright of the M&M brand. But that's likely to happen only if Ubi has own plans for a new M&M RPG game and if this game won't be for free. Better change the game title.

You should also know that basically every single fan project compiled with very motivated fans to create a new M&M RPG game - has died. Anyway, good luck! I still hope we'll see another classic M&M RPG game in the future, please keep us posted.

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 25 Jul 2008, 18:25

This is extremely interesting and well done, you seem serious and dedicated. As Arturchix says, though, it's not the first time such a project has come along.

Anyway, I know the storyline as do a few people on this forum and could probably help a little here and there. I don't recall any mention of a continent between Enroth and Jadame in the released games, though maybe that could have had something to do with Price of Loyalty's setting.
Last edited by Corlagon on 01 Dec 2008, 22:22, edited 2 times in total.

Vector
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Vector » 25 Jul 2008, 18:30

arturchix wrote:Looks interesting! Can you please post some outdoor or dungeon screenshots?

That's not what you should worry about - one day Ubisoft might simply ask you to stop the project as they hold the copyright of the M&M brand. But that's likely to happen only if Ubi has own plans for a new M&M RPG game and if this game won't be for free. Better change the game title.

You should also know that basically every single fan project compiled with very motivated fans to create a new M&M RPG game - has died. Anyway, good luck! I still hope we'll see another classic M&M RPG game in the future, please keep us posted.
This game is for free; if Ubi happens to make a MMX, we will change the title, but as said, it is doubtful. Only time will tell.

Yes, most projects have died, one reason we released no information on our game until it was nearing completion. Besides, if we wanted to abandon it, it would have been done years ago.

Yes, outdoor screenshots will be available soon. As stated above, we want to modify our landmass file; releasing anything pertaining to such would just be preliminary images of an un-finalized version of the region.

Vector
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Vector » 25 Jul 2008, 19:09

Corlagon wrote:This is extremely interesting and well done, you seem serious and dedicated. As Arturchix says, though, it's not the first time such a project has come along.

Anyway, I know the storyline as do a few people on this forum and could probably help a little here and there. I don't recall any mention of a continent between Enroth and Jadame in the released games, though maybe that could have had something to do with Price of Loyalty's setting.
In all technicality, it is not a continent but rather a cluster of individual islands vaguely mentioned in previous releases. These particular islands proved to be ideal to work with since so little was known about them. Many speculate that the true Regnan Empire was located here, but others would be quick to disagree. There are multiple skewed events and unanswered questions in the game's history though, I'm sure the majority could name 10 right off the top of their head.

If this tidbit of information will put most to ease, I've noticed most projects are developed by groups of college students, and they have to juggle making a pc game and school. They take time out of their hectic schedule to do so for the fans. It often happens that they get caught up in real life and have no choice but to abandon their project, and I don't blame them; if it were me, I would have do the same thing as I have a wife and child to take care of. We are done with college though; we go to the office and head home. Rest assured, we won't abandon the project when we are so close. Then again, I'm sure most won't be satisfied with that until the games release.

How busy is your schedule? I know most here have other obligations, but if you could help us out with a storyline that flows nicely with the previous games, that would be great.

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 25 Jul 2008, 19:40

I've got plenty of time; right now I've got over five weeks of "vacation" to spare, so that's not a problem.

Vector
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Vector » 25 Jul 2008, 19:54

Corlagon wrote:I've got plenty of time; right now I've got over five weeks of "vacation" to spare, so that's not a problem.
Great! Five weeks is more than enough time to piece up the storyline. I will send a PM with potential issues and scenarios.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 27 Jul 2008, 13:35

That's really great! Which game did you use as engine? Can you edit maps? (indoors or outdoors)
I'm a programmer. I've done researhing on events language and some game internals. I'll have spare time after the middle of august.

There are many people involved and interested about modding: Big Daddy Jim (made a great MM7 mod, he don't have time to do modding himself anymore, but if you are lucky he may help with event language and some modding aspects :)), asterix15 (helped BDJ with the mod), zipi (he's making event language compiler/decompiler), motter28218 (makes MM6 mod), vladimir-maestro (makes graphical mod for MM7), Sendoh (makes MM7 mod). There are people on russian forum who wish to take part in such a project. And there are 2 alive remake projects.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

jeff4815
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby jeff4815 » 28 Jul 2008, 02:06

F*ck yes!

May I be the first to request that you keep the playable classes of Minotaur and Dragon from MMVIII (though some balance revamps might be in order)
And there was much rejoicing...
"You want a piece of me?!"
Ithilgore trying to Identify a Dragon: "Haven't seen one before..."

Deadguy118
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Deadguy118 » 28 Jul 2008, 04:19

Niiice. This has potential,not only because it is not ambitious as MMT is but also because you already have all the tools to work with. I look forward to seeing this.... of course this could fail just like everything else, I can only be dissapointed a number of times before I give up hope.

(Also, I suggest you keep the MM7 class structure, as I really don't like MM8's constant NPC swapping+Uber Dragons (and Race-as-a-class), and MM6 is slanted too firmly in the magic department)
Back from the dead? Maybe.

Vector
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Vector » 28 Jul 2008, 16:42

GrayFace wrote:That's really great! Which game did you use as engine? Can you edit maps? (indoors or outdoors)
I'm a programmer. I've done researhing on events language and some game internals. I'll have spare time after the middle of august.

There are many people involved and interested about modding: Big Daddy Jim (made a great MM7 mod, he don't have time to do modding himself anymore, but if you are lucky he may help with event language and some modding aspects :)), asterix15 (helped BDJ with the mod), zipi (he's making event language compiler/decompiler), motter28218 (makes MM6 mod), vladimir-maestro (makes graphical mod for MM7), Sendoh (makes MM7 mod). There are people on russian forum who wish to take part in such a project. And there are 2 alive remake projects.
As of right now we are using different packages from all three, but MM7 has the least drawbacks. MM8 does not let you create a party, but rather pick up characters along the way, and the land is not as big as MM6 or MM7. MM6 has the most expansive landmass to work with, but everything else is not as advanced as we would like. MM7 lets you pick you party and its' landmass is quite expansive, though not like MM6.

We can edit maps to a certain extent, indoor & outdoor, but no where near as much as we would like. From what I've read, Zipi has contacted the originator of the MM map viewer in order to see how modification is possible.

If you have spare time in mid-august to assist, that would be great, especially if you have programming skills.

There are many great modders out there in the M&M community, but as you say, they are involved in their own projects. We want them to have every opportunity to finish their creation. I've never been to the Russian forum, but do the two individuals you mention above able to speak English as we don't know any Russian?
jeff4815 wrote:F*ck yes!

May I be the first to request that you keep the playable classes of Minotaur and Dragon from MMVIII (though some balance revamps might be in order)
We have been debating the Minotaur class, but Dragons would be hard to incorporate being that they are a highly specialized class.
Deadguy118 wrote:Niiice. This has potential,not only because it is not ambitious as MMT is but also because you already have all the tools to work with. I look forward to seeing this.... of course this could fail just like everything else, I can only be dissapointed a number of times before I give up hope.

(Also, I suggest you keep the MM7 class structure, as I really don't like MM8's constant NPC swapping+Uber Dragons (and Race-as-a-class), and MM6 is slanted too firmly in the magic department)
C'mon guys, we don't want to keep talking about the game failing, that is not good motivation ;) .

No worries on class structure, for the most part it will be like MM7 with to hirable NPC's. There will be four classes: human, elf, and two other classes still in discussion.

Our potential story line and Town Portal/Map will be available soon on this thread. The website is under development and will contain more information on the game.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 28 Jul 2008, 18:54

This is the best new I have heard in a long time! I feel this project is going to be successful. :D

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 28 Jul 2008, 19:02

Vector wrote: two of which need to be highly knowledgeable of all Might and Magic history in order provide accurate information and to continue the ongoing storyline originally started by previous Might and Magics
I think I can find some free time to help you.
Besides, someone has to keep eye on Corlagon. ;P

Vector
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Vector » 28 Jul 2008, 19:58

Phobos wrote:This is the best new I have heard in a long time! I feel this project is going to be successful. :D
Thanks; We sure think so! :D
Avonu wrote:
Vector wrote: two of which need to be highly knowledgeable of all Might and Magic history in order provide accurate information and to continue the ongoing storyline originally started by previous Might and Magics
I think I can find some free time to help you.
Besides, someone has to keep eye on Corlagon. ;P
Great! I have been talking to Corlagon, and we have some great ideas floating around. I'm sure if we all combined our knowledge we can complete a set of main quests and a story line to flow with them in no time.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 29 Jul 2008, 00:04

Well, maybe i can make some random quest story's...?
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Sendoh
Galactic Gargle Blaster
Galactic Gargle Blaster

Unread postby Sendoh » 29 Jul 2008, 04:19

i could translate the whole game to spanish

don't hesitate to ask me opinions about the storyline ;)

Longfang Witherhide
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Support

Unread postby Longfang Witherhide » 29 Jul 2008, 10:54

Hey this announcement is more than great, although it's hard to believe that anybody would finish the project. Anyway, what language are you developing the game in? Would be *very* nice to have the source code in order to port it to a better OS. MMX running native on Linux -- nothing better could ever happen to the computer games world ...

Keep on, you're definitely on the right path!

Regards,

Philipp

Vector
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Vector » 29 Jul 2008, 18:00

darknessfood wrote:Well, maybe i can make some random quest story's...?
It would be great if you could assist in that aspect, as we do need some good sidequests. I will PM you. Thanks.
Sendoh wrote:i could translate the whole game to spanish

don't hesitate to ask me opinions about the storyline ;)
I sent you a PM concerning this; it would be nice to have the game available in multiple languages. It was not our original intent, but if we have volunteers for translation we won't stand in the way as we want every fan to have the opportunity to play if possible.
Longfang Witherhide wrote:Hey this announcement is more than great, although it's hard to believe that anybody would finish the project. Anyway, what language are you developing the game in? Would be *very* nice to have the source code in order to port it to a better OS. MMX running native on Linux -- nothing better could ever happen to the computer games world ...

Keep on, you're definitely on the right path!

Regards,

Philipp
The game language is the exact as the previous MM6-MM8. We are not diehard programmers though, and porting over to another operating system is something we would not know how to do.
Last edited by Vector on 29 Jul 2008, 18:11, edited 4 times in total.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 29 Jul 2008, 18:11

Delighted to see this happening.

A few suggestions:

- Make thieves do more than just disarm traps or steal items. Have them automatically look for secret doors and fireball traps, like in AD&D 2nd edition ("Eye of the Beholder" and "Baldur's Gate" games). Make some areas accessable only to thieves due to locks only being openable by lock-picking. EOB2 did this back in 1991, so why not?

- Get rid of that annoying 5-day travel to cross maps. a week to travel east a few steps? Yeah right.

- Have temples impose a daily limit (shared by all temples) on healing to prevent Lloyd's Beacon abuse.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 29 Jul 2008, 18:54

Vector wrote:As of right now we are using different packages from all three, but MM7 has the least drawbacks. MM8 does not let you create a party, but rather pick up characters along the way, and the land is not as big as MM6 or MM7. MM6 has the most expansive landmass to work with, but everything else is not as advanced as we would like. MM7 lets you pick you party and its' landmass is quite expansive, though not like MM6.
In my opinion MM8 engine with fixed first 3 or 4 members would be the best. I'm almost sure I can do that. I'm planning to modify the game executible anyway.
Vector wrote:We can edit maps to a certain extent, indoor & outdoor, but no where near as much as we would like. From what I've read, Zipi has contacted the originator of the MM map viewer in order to see how modification is possible.
Yes, as well as I did. The main problem is that some information must be correct for poligons to be shown. Due to this a polygon can't be just moved somewhere, it wouldn't be shown when moved too far from where it was.
Vector wrote:There are many great modders out there in the M&M community, but as you say, they are involved in their own projects. We want them to have every opportunity to finish their creation. I've never been to the Russian forum, but do the two individuals you mention above able to speak English as we don't know any Russian?
Not 2 individuals. There are 2 remakes based on their own engine that seem alive. http://www.mightnmagic.glt.pl/ and http://wox2.crpg.ru/ (this one doesn't look alive, but its members say the models animation is what keeps them from releasing a new demo)
I'll post on Russian forum. There are more than 2 people interested of course :)

P.S. Oh, I see asterix15 is already in your team.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Return to “Might and Magic”