MM6 - where did my weapons go?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
bungleau
Scout
Scout

MM6 - where did my weapons go?

Unread postby bungleau » 28 Jun 2008, 16:57

Playing an MM6 game right now, plus patches.

During battle last night, I noticed someone was whiffing when they should have been shooting arrows. I investigated, and my cleric (now high priest, in position 3) no longer had a bow!

I remember finding a nice one in my inventory and selling it (because everyone else had better bows), but I now think that might have been the cleric's bow.

I figured it was my bad until later on, I realized she no longer had her mace either! And I *know* I didn't sell one of those...

So... anyone have any clues? Or am I just living through some quirk?

Bimbasto
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Bimbasto » 28 Jun 2008, 17:37

I am not very sure, however there are posibilities to steal items as special capability of certain monsters. (Cutpurses for example). May be you problem is related to this?

vladimir-maestro
Genie
Genie

Unread postby vladimir-maestro » 28 Jun 2008, 19:14

Well I'm not sure about MM6, but during study of MM7 monsters i noticed very strange ability - called "Steal". Not sure what it do but 95% sure that not item steal!! Maybe gold stealing...

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 28 Jun 2008, 20:39

When blue sparks appear on one of the character's portraits while fighting thief-like opponents, something has been stolen from them. Those enemies should be defeated from far away to avoid such losses.

bungleau
Scout
Scout

Unread postby bungleau » 29 Jun 2008, 04:01

I had thought about stealing... but I don't think I've ever had equipped items stolen. It was always stuff in the backpack.

In any case, this was in Gharik's forge - fire elementals, sorcers, warlocks, and wizards. No thieves in there... and I know I had the weapons before I got in there. The dungeon prior to that was the Star Island one in Blackshire... medusas, the dragon, and Q. No other rogue, bandit, or cutpurse types in between.

Any other thoughts?

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 29 Jun 2008, 04:19

Wow, this is news to me. After all these years of playing MM6 I never knew that those sparkly blue light thingies were a monster stealing something from my characters' inventories. Just goes to show you can always find something new when playing Might & Magic. :-D
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

bungleau
Scout
Scout

Unread postby bungleau » 29 Jun 2008, 04:55

Major update... not only did my cleric lose her weapons, she's also lost *A MILLION XP AS WELL!!!!*

Yep... just returned to Kriegspire to recuperate after the first foray into the Supreme Temple of Baa and thought it might be easier to raise a few levels than to wait for enough mana to regenerate to go someplace else to heal up. I hate resting...

Anyway, she was the first in, and needed another 40,000 XP to level up. Strange, I thought... we've been a lot of places since the last time they leveled up... but sure enough, she's only got 319,000 XP.

Everyone else, however, has 1.3 million!

And on closer look, her age appears to be 1,162 years old! That is, magically 1162 on a base of either 116 or 1162... can't tell, as the display wraps.

So... anyone know anything that she might have ticked off? I'm sorely tempted to grab an editor just to put her back around where she's supposed to be...

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 29 Jun 2008, 16:35

bungleau wrote:Major update... not only did my cleric lose her weapons, she's also lost *A MILLION XP AS WELL!!!!*

Yep... just returned to Kriegspire to recuperate after the first foray into the Supreme Temple of Baa and thought it might be easier to raise a few levels than to wait for enough mana to regenerate to go someplace else to heal up. I hate resting...

Anyway, she was the first in, and needed another 40,000 XP to level up. Strange, I thought... we've been a lot of places since the last time they leveled up... but sure enough, she's only got 319,000 XP.

Everyone else, however, has 1.3 million!

And on closer look, her age appears to be 1,162 years old! That is, magically 1162 on a base of either 116 or 1162... can't tell, as the display wraps.

So... anyone know anything that she might have ticked off? I'm sorely tempted to grab an editor just to put her back around where she's supposed to be...
Wow! The only thing I can think of which loses experience points was in the original unpatched game which capped experience at 16,777,566 or some such number. You could go beyond that number by killing monsters but as soon as you completed any quest your experience reverted back to 16,777,566. This was fixed with patch 1.1 … of course, you probably know all of this.

As far as your cleric's age, you either need a Potion of Rejuvenation or visit the well either in Hermit's Isle or Paradise Valley (I can't remember which, although I think it's HI) which restores a character's age to normal … of course, you probably know all of this too. ;|

Otherwise, using an editor is another option, then you can get your lost weapons and gold back too. A good one I use is:

MM 6-8 Saved Game Editors

Good Luck. :)

bungleau
Scout
Scout

Unread postby bungleau » 29 Jun 2008, 19:10

Thanks for the editor link, HodgePodge. I'll be using it this evening...

The thing with the cleric's age is that her *base* is now magically over 100... either 116 or 1162, depending on the number(s) I can't see. All the characters start out around 21 or so, so for her to be *that* much different... she must have ticked something off ;)

I'm familiar with magical aging and reversing it, but this increased real and magical age... not something normal, by any means. She did try to cast a Divine Intervention that failed, but that should have only added ten years. And yes, they've fought a bunch of ghosts, but no one's gotten over 1,000 hits of aging.

It's almost like she got hit with a level reverser that put her back at the minimum XP to start her level... or something like that.

Bizarre. I've got my eyes on this one....

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 29 Jun 2008, 21:01

Hey, you're welcome. That editor is one of the best in my opinion. You can even fix your characters' ages with it. The only thing I remember that you can't change is the game time & date, but that's been added in the MM7 & MM8 editors. :-D I hope it works okay for your dilemma. :)

If you use the MM8 Editor at any time, be sure to read the 'Readme' Text file included in the zip.

EDIT: Oh yeah, one more thing, adding completed quests under the "Awards" tab doesn't necessarily work very well in these editors either, so I never use that function.

bungleau
Scout
Scout

Unread postby bungleau » 30 Jun 2008, 01:29

Thanks, amigo. I just edited her and set her experience equal to the lowest of everyone else... around 1.3 million. Far below the cap...

Also put her age back to rights. Interestingly, her base and actual age were both 1162. Not only does the game not show the base properly when it's that big, neither does the editor :) I had to save and re-edit to make sure. I set her back to the expected range... 25 magical, 21 real.

Now, to see how well it took... and to see if I can figure out what broke it ;)

bungleau
Scout
Scout

Unread postby bungleau » 30 Jun 2008, 05:04

Annnndddd..... she was put back to rights for a while, and then... poof! it happened again!

I don't know exactly when... we were doing some runs between the Circus in Blackshire and the traders in Dragonsand, doing the Mephisto more than once or twice.

Suddenly, I noticed her spell points were gone... and just like before, her age was whoppingly out there (1172 this time, base and actual). Her experience had been reset to zero, and her equipped bow, mace, and shield were no longer there.

Wandering around through the character editor, I noticed that her protection percentages were suspiciously high... 327,670, to be specific. For those in the programming realm, that's awfully similar to 32767, which is a power of 2 (okay, power of two, minus one).

It's been a while since they've rested... that could be part of it. I'll train up shortly and see what that does. They're also running with the +30 level well bonus, as well as day of protection, day of the gods, and hour of power, pretty much non-stop.

I'll pay more attention during runs tomorrow, but wanted to pass this along.

bungleau
Scout
Scout

Unread postby bungleau » 01 Jul 2008, 04:34

Looks like I've got a corrupt game somehow... but I'll play it until it finishes. The abnormally large protection amounts dropped to normal after the party went and trained.a few levels. I also tried to hire a burglar, but the join commentary was bogus - click on Join, and I got "Yves" as a response. Click on More Information, and I got a syntax error.

Still, I'm keeping an eye on things... I'd hate to lose all the party's spellcasters in one brief, bad moment...

BTW, donating at the Temple of Baa (until Despicable), then completing Loretta Fleise's quest, then redeeming a bunch of bones, and then hiring a burglar (or other one-rep-level-dropper) will take you to Notorious witihout having to kill a single peasant...

Return to “Might and Magic”