Ancient versus...um...ancient weapons?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Fraser
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Ancient versus...um...ancient weapons?

Unread postby Fraser » 21 Apr 2008, 01:36

Is it worth putting a whole lot of points into the Blaster skill? I have about 150 skill points saved up for each party member and am about to cross the reefs to the Lincoln.

My fighter has GM (15) in Sword and Blaster right now. My Archer has GM in Bow and Mastery in Blaster. My Archmage and Cleric both have Expert ranking in Blaster and GM at 12-14 in their magic skills.

Everyone has their top ranking in all of their other skills.

I'm not sure whether I should load up on Blaster points or just put them into other GM skills. Are the Blasters really any good? I found them pretty useless last time, at GM with 10-11 skill points.

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 21 Apr 2008, 04:35

Have you tried Blasters with Haste cast? I have fond memories of carving through the Dragon Riders' Cave in MMVI with Haste and Blasters...smelting those dratted Cuisenarts... :)

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 21 Apr 2008, 06:08

blasters arnt bad with haste spell ,but imo spending more than 10 ranks/gm isnt needed since it only adds precision. Also even tough they are quite strong, good configured meele clases can outdamage them

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 21 Apr 2008, 09:15

Kareeah Indaga wrote:Have you tried Blasters with Haste cast? I have fond memories of carving through the Dragon Riders' Cave in MMVI with Haste and Blasters...smelting those dratted Cuisenarts... :)
Try the blaster rifles and cast haste. They go down like Pamela Anderson on horses....
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 21 Apr 2008, 11:08

Just give blaster to knight and invest skill points in armsmaster - at 25 GM rank he can shoot out more enemies than rest of team on haste - few seconds and dragon is not flying anymore.
Armsmaster shorts recorvery between melee weapon attacks (works even with blaster) - so more points in armsmaster - quicker attacks.

Fraser
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Fraser » 24 Apr 2008, 05:03

I really thought that regular weapons worked best, especially with my knight usng two swords at level 18 GM. This time, though, I will try having one party member with a very high level in Blasters and see what happens.

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 24 Apr 2008, 09:14

Beside extreme speed, the blasters are irresistible i.e. everyone takes full damage from them, even the magic/physical immune opponents AFAIR.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 24 Apr 2008, 09:44

Not true - blasters ignore armor protection but not fire immunities (it is difficult to kill gogs with blasters but you can do it) - IIRC they are fire-based weapon.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 24 Apr 2008, 12:52

I thought they did Earth based damage. Anyway, they are really fast and fantastic for slaying tough opponents. Titans and Dragons will quickly fall before them...

Roj
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Roj » 30 Apr 2008, 16:52

On blasters. To be very quick, you should cast the Haste and remove all other wapon from hands (bows also). If your chars have not enough level in armor to remove its penalty, you need also carry off the armor (and chield).

By the way, in MM6 it is one more trick to make blasters very effective. The key for fantastic speed of blasters is to remove ANY WEAPON (and blaster also) from one person in your party. In this case, the previous person fires series.

Return to “Might and Magic”