Dark or Light magic -- MM7?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Fraser
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Dark or Light magic -- MM7?

Unread postby Fraser » 07 Apr 2008, 00:40

I finished my Light Magic game, and am at the crossroads where I have to choose...and as I've played the game through on Light Magic, I thought I might try Dark Magic.

What's the difference in the game? I know that it's an evil path, but is the magic stronger? Are the quests completely different?

Is it more fun? :devil:

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 07 Apr 2008, 03:16

Quests are similar, spells are...different; they tend to be more offensive rather than being super-buffs like Light has. Also your faction's goal is different. I liked the Light ending better myself.

I heartily recommend Pain Reflection when you can get it though. :)

Bimbasto
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Bimbasto » 07 Apr 2008, 07:15

I would like to suggest play both options. Just start from the save, where you are asked to make a choice. Dark path - that more combat one, powerfull spells, great abilities for fighting. Light is more "light" so to speak. I like it better, but this is personal opinion.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 07 Apr 2008, 09:03

Personally even tough dark magic is more offensive(sharpmetal, souldrinker, toxic cloud,DB) I personally think that light magic gives more advantages. For example highly raised implosion or inceriate can substitute most of dark magic damage spell even tough it will be weaker. While with light magic you receive spells like day of prot,gods, and hour of power. Also most spell that is nearly chating and works on most mobs - paralysis. Then again game is pretty easy unless you somehow make it harder for yourself so it dosnt really matter which side you picked other than plot.

Edwardas 3
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Edwardas 3 » 07 Apr 2008, 09:18

Kareeah Indaga wrote:Quests are similar, spells are...different;
There are TEN !!!!! different quests for Dark Path-some of which very challenging specially when you play without spoilers.Ninja quest is BEST
quest ever made in gaming-my dear goodness me- it so hard to figure it out without spoiler-that is a special treat.
Warlock promotion is hard too and you will get an extra fine-companion ! :)

Fraser
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Fraser » 08 Apr 2008, 02:15

It's funny that in all my many years of gaming I have never followed an "evil path" game, unless you count having a character with evil propensities that still ends up playing essentially a good path, or at least a neutral one -- I'm thinking of Morowind and Oblivion, where my PC is essentially a murdering thug but still completes the main quest line as a character that most people consider to be "good". :devious:

I've also tried playing evil parties in BG and BG2, but the disadvantages are too great, except that you get to have Edwin in your party. B-)

Or maybe I'm essentially a wimp who doesn't want to explore the darker side of the dark side. :baby:

I think I will keep two or three games saves from the "moment of decision" onwards and play the second half of the game Dark AND Light.

Ravenheart87
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Ravenheart87 » 09 Apr 2008, 10:29

As others said, try everything you can. I liked both sides of magic, because:

Light - you have Day of Protection, Hour of Power and Day of the Gods, so you don't need to put on onehundred buff spells...
Dark - two words: Shrapmetal, Armageddon :D

If you are more interested in the story, well... Light was better, as for me.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 09 Apr 2008, 10:44

Ravenheart87 wrote:As others said, try everything you can. I liked both sides of magic, because:

Light - you have Day of Protection, Hour of Power and Day of the Gods, so you don't need to put on onehundred buff spells...
Dark - two words: Shrapmetal, Armageddon :D

If you are more interested in the story, well... Light was better, as for me.
You forgot paralysis in useful light magic section. If abused enaugh it can win most encounters for you unless target is magic imune.

Story line quests are pretty similar gameplay wise but i somewhat feel light magic storyline is better made. Also i like it more. Biggest difernece between sides are promotion quests. For example dark knight promotion is MUCH more easy than light, while druid and ranger are easier for light side. Some promos like archer are similar.

Ravenheart87
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Ravenheart87 » 09 Apr 2008, 11:21

Never really used Paralysis. The above mentioned triumvirate was good enough for me to do some genocide among the evil races of Enroth.:) Even better in M&M6, where you could learn both schools of magic...

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 09 Apr 2008, 12:00

Ravenheart87 wrote:Never really used Paralysis. The above mentioned triumvirate was good enough for me to do some genocide among the evil races of Enroth.:) Even better in M&M6, where you could learn both schools of magic...
Yeah, that was awesome, and indeed you were a KILLER in that game. They fixed that nicely in MM7, still i like MM6 more...
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Bimbasto
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Bimbasto » 10 Apr 2008, 08:46

Just about Paralyze spell. It really enable character to fight successfully against hard monsters. Did it in MM8 with 1. level Nekromancer solo against Dragons. One bad thing - sometimes this spell does not hit the monster.

Fraser
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Fraser » 21 Apr 2008, 01:31

I didn't use Paralyze in my last game. I tried using it a couple of times and it didn't work, which led me to believe it wasn't helpful against high level opponents. This time -- well, I cleaned out the Titan Stronghold and raided the Dragon Caves, just for fun!

Actually, I had so much fun raiding in my current game, I was sent to jail for my crimes. Which was great, as all of the barrels and other helpful items recharged. But...I was supposed to be a GOOD party. :devil:

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 21 Apr 2008, 03:02

I'd like to add that Destroy Undead is INSANELY effective vs Liches, Vampires, and Ghosts in The Pit, Castle Gloaming, Watch Tower and Temple of Dark.

16 pts + 16 x skill? Instant damage (not a projectile)? Yes, please.

Fraser
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Fraser » 21 Apr 2008, 03:33

Now that's another spell I don't use very often. Prismatic Light nails a roomful of nasties so well that I often just use that, combined with my Mage casting Inferno (I think that's the one -- gets everything in the room).

Return to “Might and Magic”