Because it's been YEARS, i have forgotten....

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
AltheaLee
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Because it's been YEARS, i have forgotten....

Unread postby AltheaLee » 03 Jan 2008, 06:41

Okay, it's been at least ten years since I played a M&M game and a lot of things have slipped my mind.

Hubby got me a copy of M&M viii the other day, and of course i'm back at it and loving every minute of it. My question is this, Why won't any of my guys learn their spells? What am I missing here? For example, I train my cleric in his mind and his body skills, but when I go buy a spell that is for a cleric, he can't use it. Same thing with my necro and my vampire. I trained them in each guild that I can think of, but they just won't learn new spells.

HELP!

Also, is there a way to turn on auto run instead of holding down my arrow buttons all the time? And one last question, didn't the older M&M's have a black map unless you explored that area?

Sorry for all the questions, but it's been way to long and my memory is just not working well enough it seems. Thanks ahead of time!

Althea

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Because it's been YEARS, i have forgotten....

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 03 Jan 2008, 09:35

AltheaLee wrote:Hubby got me a copy of M&M viii the other day, and of course i'm back at it and loving every minute of it. My question is this, Why won't any of my guys learn their spells? What am I missing here? For example, I train my cleric in his mind and his body skills, but when I go buy a spell that is for a cleric, he can't use it. Same thing with my necro and my vampire. I trained them in each guild that I can think of, but they just won't learn new spells.
You need to buy spell books and drag them to the character portraits for them to learn the spells.
Also, is there a way to turn on auto run instead of holding down my arrow buttons all the time? And one last question, didn't the older M&M's have a black map unless you explored that area?
Yes, there should be a setting for that.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Irq
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Irq » 03 Jan 2008, 12:58

To learn spells you need the right level of mastery in that spell school to learn it.
For example, to learn an expert book you need to be expert in that school of magic.

There is an option to autorun (instead of walking), I don't think it is what you mean though.
I don't think there is a button you can click to make your characters run without touching the keyboard.

AltheaLee
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby AltheaLee » 03 Jan 2008, 15:17

Thanks for the replies! I'm clicking the spells over their images, but they tell me 'wish i could'....I wish you could as well lol.

As for the running, yeah, I meant not having to push the arrow key. I changed it to always run instead of walk, but holding down that button stinks lol.

Just gotta get the cobwebs off the brain. Thanks again!

Apeman
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Apeman » 04 Jan 2008, 09:18

As Irq said things changed in MMVII and VIII. In MMVI you could get the air magic skill and immediatly learn fly and starburst. In VII and VIII you need to be at skill level 12 and be a grandmaster in air magic before you can learn the highest skill.

In summation you have four kind of books for each magic skill:

Normal: you can learn these books when you get the skill
Expert: you need at least level 4 skill and be an expert
Master: you need at least level 8 skill and be a master
Grandmaster: you need at least level 12 skill and be a grandmaster.

For more information just right click on your skills and your books

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 04 Jan 2008, 10:26

Apeman wrote:In summation you have four kind of books for each magic skill:

Normal: you can learn these books when you get the skill
Expert: you need at least level 4 skill and be an expert
Master: you need at least level 8 skill and be a master
Grandmaster: you need at least level 12 skill and be a grandmaster.

For more information just right click on your skills and your books
Wrong. In MM6 you need 12 skill points to be a master (highest rank)

In MM7-9 (all) skills were changed to:
Expert: 4 skill points
Master: 7 skill points
Grandmaster: 10 skill points

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 04 Jan 2008, 20:18

Skillpoints on their own doesn't matter, you just need the correct level of mastery to learn the relevant spells. Of course you need the skillpoints to get the mastery, but once you have the mastery you can learn the spells.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Ed Robinson
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Ed Robinson » 05 Jan 2008, 16:42

As a matter of fact, you don't need the skill point levels for certain masteries. You can become a master of Spirit as soon as your cleric becomes a high priest in VI, which is very easy to do. You can become a master of Air as soon as your Sorceror becomes an Arch Mage. The other magoc schools do require 12 skill points to become master.

That said, the reason I'm here is that way back when, I had seen a posting showing the least expensive training sites and the sites giving the greatest amounts of money for weapons, armour and trinkes. Anyone recall where this might be found. I visited Gameland but I guess they dumped most of their old stuff.

I'm just recycling some of my old M&M games until someone with a brain resurects 3DO.

Return to “Might and Magic”