Favourite/Least favourite dungeon?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight
Posts: 3522
Joined: 06 Jan 2006

Postby HodgePodge » Dec 3 2007, 23:37

Bandobras Took wrote:… I could go on, but in all cases where Invisbility is available, the Invisible party has the easier time of it.

Please don't. Sometimes exploring an area and collecting stuff and not killing the creatures is much more fun … like for instance, Murmurwoods. I hate killing the resident Unicorns and Unicorn Colts, so I travel Invisibile. That way no one gets hurt and the Unicorns don't become extinct.
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

User avatar
CoffeeGnome
Pixie
Pixie
Posts: 133
Joined: 02 Oct 2007
Location: Sacramento

Postby CoffeeGnome » Dec 3 2007, 23:51

HodgePodge wrote:
Bandobras Took wrote:… I could go on, but in all cases where Invisbility is available, the Invisible party has the easier time of it.

Please don't.


OK I think we have been off the subject of this forum question long enough.
Coffee, coffee, coffee!

User avatar
Bandobras Took
Archmage
Archmage
Posts: 992
Joined: 06 Jan 2006

Postby Bandobras Took » Dec 4 2007, 3:38

CoffeeGnome wrote:
HodgePodge wrote:
Bandobras Took wrote:… I could go on, but in all cases where Invisbility is available, the Invisible party has the easier time of it.

Please don't.


OK I think we have been off the subject of this forum question long enough.


Kareeah started it. :baby:

@HodgePodge: I don't kill the Unicorns, either -- well, once, but that was a lich/evil party and I was trying to be in character. :(
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

User avatar
Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich
Posts: 1137
Joined: 06 Jan 2006

Postby Kareeah Indaga » Dec 4 2007, 3:54

Bandobras Took wrote:No, I make certain I'm prepared for a dungeon before going in.


...so by killing everything else somewhere else first and looting the bodies, thus gaining gold, equipment and XP.

2) Walls of Mist. Knights get hit right and left and can't attack anything. Nothing attacks Invisible party.


…So long as you don’t bump into anything or stay past the spell’s duration. This applies everywhere, actually, but I’ll only mention it this once.

(And, off topic to this off topic but is it possible to go in to the Walls of Mist, slaughter everything in your path, grab all the keys, leave, come back, then use the three keys and leave by the back door since the dungeon’s reset and still count as completing the quest? I’ve never tried it before and I’m curious…)

3) Tunnels to Eofol. Knights get paralyzed/stoned. Medusae don't even attack Invisible party.


Ah-ah-ah, Tunnels to Eeofol have that pit you have to Jump out of, which breaks Invisibility. Then you get to RLH through the rest, dodging Medusa gazes.

All right, let's compare a few dungeons according to these rules.


Yes, lets:

Assassinating Tolbeti/Robert the Wise.
Slaying Xenofex.
Kill Wromthax the Heartless
Win five Arena battles at Lord level
Clearing the Haunted Mansion
Killing all the Griffins in Steadwick and Bracada
Clearing out the Wine Cellar

…in short, any quest with ‘kill monster X’ or ‘kill all of monster Y’ as its focal point will be easier for the Knight party, as Invisibility is useless in a straight fight and the Knight party will have gained more equipment and XP from killing the monsters the Invisibility party sneaks past. That’s not counting places with extremely narrow corridors and/or really big monsters that are possible to navigate and complete while Invisible, but much more frustrating.

Bandobras Took wrote:Kareeah started it. :baby:


No YOU started it. :tongue: Right here:

Bandobras Took wrote:Any fool can beat the game with an invisibility crutch. It's like saying "The game is easy; put Cauri and a Dragon in your party!"


I try to give you play tips and you insult me and my play style. :disagree:

User avatar
Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 6939
Joined: 28 Feb 2006
Location: Corner of your Eye

Postby Omega_Destroyer » Dec 4 2007, 5:05

Hmm... I must be one of the only people who never uses invisibility.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

User avatar
darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 4009
Joined: 02 Jul 2007
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Postby darknessfood » Dec 4 2007, 9:21

Well, without that spell, getting the bow in that low level is near impossible.

User avatar
Bandobras Took
Archmage
Archmage
Posts: 992
Joined: 06 Jan 2006

Postby Bandobras Took » Dec 4 2007, 15:11

Kareeah Indaga wrote:
Bandobras Took wrote:Kareeah started it. :baby:


No YOU started it. :tongue: Right here:

Bandobras Took wrote:Any fool can beat the game with an invisibility crutch. It's like saying "The game is easy; put Cauri and a Dragon in your party!"


I try to give you play tips and you insult me and my play style. :disagree:


Hssst. Use Invisibility. Run really fast. Laugh as the Spark traps slowly wipe them out, while they float around, clueless.


For my part, the "Hssst" started it. :)

On a slightly technical note, you don't have to kill Robert the Wise -- it can be done with Invisibility/Stealing to get his Control Cube. You also don't have to use a Jump spell in the Tunnels to Eofol. You just have to have good timing.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

User avatar
Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich
Posts: 1137
Joined: 06 Jan 2006

Postby Kareeah Indaga » Dec 4 2007, 16:54

darknessfood wrote:Well, without that spell, getting the bow in that low level is near impossible.


That's the key phrase right there--at low level.

Bandobras Took wrote:
Hssst. Use Invisibility. Run really fast. Laugh as the Spark traps slowly wipe them out, while they float around, clueless.


For my part, the "Hssst" started it. :)


'Hssst, over here!' bothers you? :|

Bandobras Took wrote:On a slightly technical note, you don't have to kill Robert the Wise -- it can be done with Invisibility/Stealing to get his Control Cube.


I am aware. I've done it once. However, Sorcerers can't learn Stealing--nor can any of the other classes who have access to Master level or higher Air magic (Druid, Archer). So by those rules, it's not possible.

User avatar
darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 4009
Joined: 02 Jul 2007
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Postby darknessfood » Dec 4 2007, 17:04

You have a TEAM, remember... So probably a thief. He's a handy guy for disarming traps and of course stealing stuff...

User avatar
CoffeeGnome
Pixie
Pixie
Posts: 133
Joined: 02 Oct 2007
Location: Sacramento

Desperate attempt to get back on subject!

Postby CoffeeGnome » Dec 4 2007, 23:00

This is a desperate attempt to get back on subject of this forum!

MM6
Favotite Dungeon: Temple of Varn, Dragonsand
Least Favorite: Silver Blades Secret Base, Mist Islands

MM7
Favorite Dungeon: Tombs of the Burrow Downs, Burrow Downs
Least Favorite Dungeon: Clankster's Lab, Elven Forest

MM8
Favorite Dungeon: Pyramid, Dagger Wound Islands
Least Favorite: Bee Hive, Alvar

MM9
Favorite Dungeon: Tomb of 1000 terrors, Celeste
Least Favorite: Mountain Pass, Thornheim
Coffee, coffee, coffee!

User avatar
Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich
Posts: 1137
Joined: 06 Jan 2006

Postby Kareeah Indaga » Dec 5 2007, 0:17

darknessfood wrote:You have a TEAM, remember... So probably a thief. He's a handy guy for disarming traps and of course stealing stuff...


Yeah, a team—a team of Sorcerers. A mixed party will usually let you do more than a single class party, but the parameters for the purpose of discussion was a team of all Knights vs. a team of Invisibility users; adding more to the equation invalidates any conclusion there may be. If I add a Thief to the hypothetical spellcaster party, I am no longer testing the relative effectiveness of Invisibility, I am testing the relative effectiveness of a combination of Invisibility + Stealing + Disarm Trap.

User avatar
Bandobras Took
Archmage
Archmage
Posts: 992
Joined: 06 Jan 2006

Re: Desperate attempt to get back on subject!

Postby Bandobras Took » Dec 5 2007, 0:38

CoffeeGnome wrote:This is a desperate attempt to get back on subject of this forum!

MM6
Favorite Dungeon: Temple of Varn, Dragonsand
Least Favorite: Silver Blades Secret Base, Mist Islands


Oddly enough, the Silver Blades dungeon is one of the ones I didn't mind in MM6. Weird.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

User avatar
HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight
Posts: 3522
Joined: 06 Jan 2006

Re: Desperate attempt to get back on subject!

Postby HodgePodge » Dec 5 2007, 0:47

CoffeeGnome wrote:… MM7
Favorite Dungeon: Tombs of the Burrow Downs, Burrow Downs
Least Favorite Dungeon: Clankster's Lab, Elven Forest …

MM8
… Least Favorite: Bee Hive, Alvar …

Wow! Burrow Downs is one of my least favorites, although I have to agree with the Wasp Hive in MM8 also as one of my least favorites.
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

User avatar
darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 4009
Joined: 02 Jul 2007
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Postby darknessfood » Dec 5 2007, 9:15

Kareeah Indaga wrote:
darknessfood wrote:You have a TEAM, remember... So probably a thief. He's a handy guy for disarming traps and of course stealing stuff...


Yeah, a team—a team of Sorcerers. A mixed party will usually let you do more than a single class party, but the parameters for the purpose of discussion was a team of all Knights vs. a team of Invisibility users; adding more to the equation invalidates any conclusion there may be. If I add a Thief to the hypothetical spellcaster party, I am no longer testing the relative effectiveness of Invisibility, I am testing the relative effectiveness of a combination of Invisibility + Stealing + Disarm Trap.


Ah, ok. Well, if i can reply. Invisibility is pretty handy, but not in combination of stealing, because the sorcerers cannot get a high level in it...

User avatar
Tress
Raider
Raider
Posts: 788
Joined: 05 Dec 2007

Postby Tress » Dec 5 2007, 11:35

Least favorite.
mm6- castle darkmoore.( long , full with anoying mobs)
mm7 - Nighon tunels. Always hate part when i have to go to NIghon and must go through it.
mm8 - Ancestral tomb in ironsand. Navigating due to several floors is anoyoing.
mm9 - 1k terrors.

Favorite
mm6 - outpost in mist islands.
mm7 - most dungens are fine, but particularly like temple of moon.
mm8 -Abandoned Pirate Keep
mm9 - game was rather poorly designed but still Yanmir's Fort was designed prety well.

User avatar
CoffeeGnome
Pixie
Pixie
Posts: 133
Joined: 02 Oct 2007
Location: Sacramento

Postby CoffeeGnome » Dec 5 2007, 20:14

tress wrote:Least favorite.
mm6- castle darkmoore.( long , full with anoying mobs)
mm7 - Nighon tunels. Always hate part when i have to go to NIghon and must go through it.
mm8 - Ancestral tomb in ironsand. Navigating due to several floors is anoyoing.
mm9 - 1k terrors.

Favorite
mm6 - outpost in mist islands.
mm7 - most dungens are fine, but particularly like temple of moon.
mm8 -Abandoned Pirate Keep
mm9 - game was rather poorly designed but still Yanmir's Fort was designed prety well.


Darkmoore - don't like or dislike in any way.
Nighon tunnels - Other than the lack of treasure this one is a nice gauntlet of activity.
Ancestral Tomb - agree with you there, Yuck!
1000 terrors - I love this one, especially the chess board
Outpost - hate the stairs, big yuck!
Temple of moon - yea, this one did have nice opponents and treasure
abandoned pirate keep - did not seem too abandoned to me? Need to give developler a dictonary and have them look up the word "abandoned."
Yanmir's Fort - nice dungeon but hate the bug if you actually kill Yanmir (you cannot complete the quest.)
Coffee, coffee, coffee!

User avatar
Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 6972
Joined: 26 Nov 2005
Location: Solna

Postby Gaidal Cain » Dec 5 2007, 20:34

CoffeeGnome wrote:abandoned pirate keep - did not seem too abandoned to me? Need to give developler a dictonary and have them look up the word "abandoned."


Or you could try replaying the game and actually read the messages you're shown when about to enter a place.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

User avatar
CoffeeGnome
Pixie
Pixie
Posts: 133
Joined: 02 Oct 2007
Location: Sacramento

Postby CoffeeGnome » Dec 5 2007, 20:50

Or you could try replaying the game and actually read the messages you're shown when about to enter a place.


Naw, I do not see where this will make me like it any more. I will just remain indiferent to this dungeon as it was not all that bad of a dungeon, I just hate this dungeons name.
Coffee, coffee, coffee!

User avatar
Alan06
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 39
Joined: 30 Apr 2006
Location: Buenos Aires - Argentina

Postby Alan06 » Dec 6 2007, 17:28

I really love castle darkmoor... B-)

i like all dungeons but the worst i think its the temple of snake. How its posible that a gold dragon entered to that tiny place ?

User avatar
accabear
Scout
Scout
Posts: 164
Joined: 26 Jun 2007
Location: Australia, Sydney

Postby accabear » Dec 12 2007, 9:58

Why in particular doesn't anyone like the Silver HELMS (not blades) outpost in MM6? I am pretty sure there are worse dungeons. And them Master Monks aren't too hard.

MM7
Favorite Dungeon: Tombs of the Burrow Downs, Burrow Downs
Least Favorite Dungeon: Clankster's Lab, Elven Forest


Yeah the Barrow Downs is pretty awesome. What's wrong with the forest filled with fire breathing trees? Their quite easy and provide some interesting hit and run games with a low level arrow toting party.

Overall I also thought that MM6 dungeon's were fairly dull... perhaps I also have a total lack of patience too. Patience to bear with something which is dull is not really my idea of a game, especially when my time is somewhat limited and the appeal and magic of early game MM6 wears off.


Return to “Might and Magic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 13 guests