MM6 - MM9: Favorite Quest vs. Least Favorite

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
CoffeeGnome
Pixie
Pixie

MM6 - MM9: Favorite Quest vs. Least Favorite

Unread postby CoffeeGnome » 06 Nov 2007, 19:30

This topic is just to find out what was individuals favorite missions in MM6 through MM9. I loved bounty hunting in MM7 & MM8 but these also had the arcomage tournaments which are a close second. My least favorite mission was the first paladin quest from MM6. When I would have to climb those retracting stairs at the Silverhelms Secret Base and fall after several reloadings of the game; this after a while just gets too annoying. The flooded minotaur home in MM8 is annoying also with all of those levers and flood gates (talk about needing a walkthrough!)
I just posted this one to see what are other peoples' favorites vs. their least favorites amongst the 4 games.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Re: MM6 - MM9: Favorite Quest vs. Least Favorite

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 06 Nov 2007, 19:39

CoffeeGnome wrote: The flooded minotaur home in MM8 is annoying also with all of those levers and flood gates (talk about needing a walkthrough!)
Good topic, but about that MM8 minotaur dungeon: didn't you notice the scroll lying around the floor near the beginning? It's as perfect a walkthrough as I needed, the scroll outrights tells you the lever sequence

My least favorite quests, mmm let's see, those that are either way too easy compared to what would be your normal level (MM7 Assassin and Archdruid promotion quests) or WAY too hard (MM7 Warlock promotion, and MM6 first archer promotion are just INSANE.)

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 06 Nov 2007, 19:44

I don't get the fascination with acromage. I found the game quite dull and the rules and cards were exactly the same in every tavern. I preferred Pazzak in Knights of the Old Republic.

CoffeeGnome
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby CoffeeGnome » 06 Nov 2007, 19:50

Sorry, did not notice the scroll. In fact, I ignored most of the journal scrolls in MM8 inadvertantly because they look exactly like low-level spell scrolls. This is just one of the many things I found annoying with MM8 but I guess this is not a problem anymore because I now have windows vista and I can only play MM8 up until the first plot-movie. The game will crash as soon as it has to go into video.

CoffeeGnome
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby CoffeeGnome » 06 Nov 2007, 19:51

Never played Knights of the Old Republic. I'll have to check this out some other time.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 06 Nov 2007, 20:02

PhoenixReborn wrote:I don't get the fascination with acromage. I found the game quite dull and the rules and cards were exactly the same in every tavern. I preferred Pazzak in Knights of the Old Republic.
There is noting more enjoying than a duel in Nighon or Regna. And Pazzak was boring after few duels same with podracers. :P

And about quest:
Definitly Lich promotion quest from MM9 - long and you have personally find and prepare all items for your transformation to this creature.
One of other interesting quests is bounty hunting in MM8 - kill monsters for 70000 is not easy and quickly task.
Most annoying quest - Lich promotion in MM7 - because of (missing) soul jars at the end of dungeon. Second is Ranger promotion in MM9 (lots of quick saves or you must reapeat all this dungeon) and druid promotions in MM6 (because you have to be in right place on right time - or wait next few weeks) or Erathia/Avlee border war in MM7 (waiting weeks for next quests).

Suleman
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Suleman » 06 Nov 2007, 20:18

PhoenixReborn wrote:I don't get the fascination with acromage. I found the game quite dull and the rules and cards were exactly the same in every tavern. I preferred Pazzak in Knights of the Old Republic.
Pazaak is just glorified Blackjack. Numbers, bah! I'd take beautiful arcomage cards any day.
"Yes, but what about David Beckham and the magic mushroom?"

I'm baaaaaack!

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 06 Nov 2007, 20:35

I liked the quest where you obtain Modred in MMVI. The little roleplaying touches ('you hear footsteps behind you') were really nice, and something I wish I saw more of. (The reward is pretty nice too. ;)) Least favorite, hmmm...off hand probably the section of the Walls of Mist with the three levers on each side, I can never remember which ones I need to push, leading to way too much running back and forth hoping I figure it out before Invisibility runs out...

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 06 Nov 2007, 21:25

Kareeah Indaga wrote:Least favorite, hmmm...off hand probably the section of the Walls of Mist with the three levers on each side, I can never remember which ones I need to push, leading to way too much running back and forth hoping I figure it out before Invisibility runs out...
I usually go to the left and click all three buttons, run to other lever and click two buttons (never remember which ones) and push lever - it usually work for first time.
But yes - it's annoying to run back and forth and clicking this buttons - just like in Sewers under Steadwick (hopefully there always is Jump spell tp avoid this clicking in sewers).

CoffeeGnome
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby CoffeeGnome » 06 Nov 2007, 22:04

In the Halls of Mist, I usually go to the right (instead of left) and click the three buttons first and then two to the left. Either way it is too bad there is no clue given as to what is the true combination. This does burn up a lot of time! At least in the thief's hideout you can just wait and see if the blocks had moved in the way you had wanted. In the halls of mist there is no indication. :S

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 06 Nov 2007, 23:22

I like getting the memory crystals in Might and Magic 6. Plus the 100.000 xp :D

CoffeeGnome
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby CoffeeGnome » 06 Nov 2007, 23:30

Speaking of MM6, what is that guy "Q" suppoed to be in the medusa lair within Blackshire? He looks like a overweight peasant but he has more hit points than a gold dragon and is able to eradicate you with a single attck. Is he a glitch they decided to keep or what? 8|

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 07 Nov 2007, 00:56

I think he's supposed to be a secret boss of sorts; you get the Horn of Ros from him.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 07 Nov 2007, 01:00

CoffeeGnome wrote:Speaking of MM6, what is that guy "Q" suppoed to be in the medusa lair within Blackshire? He looks like a overweight peasant but he has more hit points than a gold dragon and is able to eradicate you with a single attck. Is he a glitch they decided to keep or what? 8|
Nopes, he's just an easter egg. Trick is to get him in a attack range between a wall. He keeps firing those eraticate sh*t at you so behind a wall you are save to attack him while his attacks keep hitting the wall.
He also has an item for you, calles "horn of ross" i believe. With that thing you can rightclick on a creature and see his hitpoints.

Secret_Holder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Secret_Holder » 07 Nov 2007, 01:10

Most annoying quest - Lich promotion in MM7 - because of (missing) soul jars at the end of dungeon.
Missing soul jars? They've always been in the Walls when I looked.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 07 Nov 2007, 08:18

Look in FAQ topic. Now missing soul jars aren't problem to me, but they were in past.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 07 Nov 2007, 14:33

Avonu wrote:
And about quest:
… Second is Ranger promotion in MM9 (lots of quick saves or you must reapeat all this dungeon) …
Ugh, is this the one where you have to go through a dungeon without setting off any of the traps? I hated this one too. There was a cheat, if I remember correctly, where you just have to go through the first door and set a Lloyd's Beacon there. Then recall the Beacon, take one step backwards (without turning around) and go through the door in front of you and you'll hear the 'quest completed' sound.
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

[T]osHiro
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby [T]osHiro » 07 Nov 2007, 14:55

I never made it, that Ranger quest. Unsurprising for an almost impossible quest for a lousy MM series.
Round Table Olympics '07 Image

CoffeeGnome
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby CoffeeGnome » 15 Nov 2007, 00:16

Yes, I too detest the ranger quest from MM9. I do not feel that it is fair in any way to have a quest that the character himself cannot possibly complete. The Ranger quest cannot be completed by a ranger because the ranger cannot cast Lloyd's Beacon and a lot of the traps will be activated no matter if you touch them or not.
Other promotional quests that cannot be completed by the character for they are intended include:
* The Assassin quest from MM9, there is simply no way to assassinate the guy without being seen unless you have someone with a poison spell in the party. If you confront him directly he will run before he finally falls and someone will see you.
* The 1st sorcerer quest from MM7, all of the golem parts are in chests and sorcerers cannot disarm traps.
* The 1st archerer quest from MM7, there is no way to get to the elevator mechanism without either the use of protection from magic or invisibility. Two spells out of the reach of the character except by scroll.
* The 2nd thief (evil) quest from MM7, sure a thief can steal the dagger once they make it to the target but, they will never make it in the first place unless someone else casts invisibility upon the party. Unfortunatly this is a spell that the thief will never be able to attain except by scroll.

These are the examples that come to mind at this time. :|

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 15 Nov 2007, 00:26

CoffeeGnome wrote: * The 1st archerer quest from MM7, there is no way to get to the elevator mechanism without either the use of protection from magic or invisibility. Two spells out of the reach of the character except by scroll.
There are stone to flesh and cure paralysis potions littered on the floor. Just kill those medusas. Never proved a problem for my Knight/Knight/Archer/Paladin party.

CoffeeGnome wrote: * The 2nd thief (evil) quest from MM7, sure a thief can steal the dagger once they make it to the target but, they will never make it in the first place unless someone else casts invisibility upon the party. Unfortunatly this is a spell that the thief will never be able to attain except by scroll.
Just kill the easy monsters in Celeste. Certainly is far easier than clearing the Pit.

Sounds like you rely too much on invisibility. In my typical game I only use that spell it in a few places: The Breeding Zone, the Walls of Mist, and Titan's Stronghold. Why hide when you can fight?

Return to “Might and Magic”