What is your most embarrassing/annoying death in an MM game?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
alienstookmybeer
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby alienstookmybeer » 26 May 2008, 11:35

Death by Reformatting.

As in I accidentally reformatted my hard drive after a faulty Service Pack 3 install. First time through MOM 7 too, and I was almost done. SP3, it'll be a cold day in hell before you ever touch my computer again.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 26 May 2008, 20:58

Checking what is on bottom of Thunderfist Mountain in MM7 (both dungeon and Nighon map).
Also clear nearly all dungeon and not going to rest, cast heal spell (have enough mana) or return to temple but need to see that last room and of course died there.

akstylish
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby akstylish » 27 May 2008, 08:41

I died in MM6 for no apparent reason...I was in middle of the town, there was no monster in sight, and my characters were in good condition. Maybe they all had a heart attack simultaneously? Oh, and I wasn't flying, so it wasn't definitely the fireball that killed me.

Mightor Magic
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Mightor Magic » 29 May 2008, 03:22

My most embarassing death happened just recently going "back" through the passage to Mount Nighon from Thunderfist in the BDJ Mod. I say "back" as I didn't know that even if I had the Town Portal spell, the only thing I could go to would be Mount Nighon without first going to Celeste. Live and learn.

So anyway, I fought through Evil Eyes and Minotaurs up the wazoo, and I managed to make it back into the safer tunnels. However, I got lost trying to figure out the easiest way to get back to Stone City as it wasn't the usual playing tactic in MM7. I figured out the right tunnel to take but somehow I got stuck moving against the tunnel wall and ended up "dead broke" in Harmondale for some reason.

Death by "misadventure" or what?

Mace the Councillor
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Mace the Councillor » 14 Jun 2008, 11:18

Probably falling off Celeste in MM7, without having cast Feather Fall, and not being able to do so because I had used up my characters' rounds.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 14 Jun 2008, 19:22

A strange death was in BDJ mod. I gathered VORI password and went to BDJ Fortress once again. When I touched the door in the fortress (which doesn't open without VORI password) there was an effect like my party gained something. When I touched it 2 more times the same thing happened. But when I touched it again, I died. What was so strange to me is that, after looking at the script, I found it just eradicates the party the first time you touch the door. What made it not kill the party at first is GM Protection from Magic. And this means that after protecting from a couple of deaths it disappears!
Kristo wrote:Not really an annoying death, but I do remember using death in MM6 as a fast way back to New Sorpigal without Town Portal or Lloyd's Beacon. I conveniently put most of my money in a bank first.
It isn't fast actually. It takes one week.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

zalunaya
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby zalunaya » 15 Jun 2008, 06:21

I remember opening a treasure chest, failing to disarm trap...but that didn't kill me. Oh, no. After that I ended up shooting myself in the face with a bow of carnage :disagree: (Yep, hit A instead of S for a heal.)

k16ucor
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

mm7 death

Unread postby k16ucor » 20 Jun 2008, 06:12

I think the worst mm7 death was after I finished the game and started slaughtering everything in the proving grounds. All the wizards and sorcerers created 3 light elementals each and they were all wedged up against the first staircase in the main entrance. Like fish in a barrel I mowed them down with my blasters. The game glitched out when I killed them somehow and for some reason the exploding animation for the light elementals kept repeating for about 20 of them in one concentrated spot.

Anyway, I walked up to the 'corpses' and tried to clear them out by picking them up and instead my party instantly died. I guess that was the game's revenge for taking cheap shots at the AI.

423,812 gold instantly gone, my dignity stripped. I still laughed though.

Ziller
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ziller » 23 Jun 2008, 00:10

most worst Death for me was 2 year's ago M&M7 was flying in Erathia had full hp was talking to my brother looked away was flying to the west wall (i think)of Castle GryphpnHeart and did not stop somehow it killed my full team was Pissed off with it but had to laughed at same time but loaded it up form last save what was not far luckly

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 25 Jun 2008, 13:55

flying around Paradise Valley filling Titans with arrows and forgetting to redo the fly spell, fell down quite hard (3 guys on yellow the rest fainted) smack in the middle of a group of Titans.

i could tell ya those Titans had alot of fun with the remains of my group that day. :disagree:
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

bungleau
Scout
Scout

Unread postby bungleau » 29 Jun 2008, 04:09

Some pretty ignoble deaths...

For those who suddenly died for no apparent reason, any chance it might have been at three in the morning? If it's been too long since your characters actually rested, then at three AM instead of becoming weak, other things can happen - insanity and death among them.

Taurucis
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Taurucis » 29 Jun 2008, 17:45

The goblin turrets outside Harmondale in MM7. I was basically messing around with them, seeing how many shots I could fire in a minute, when I moved forwards too far >_>

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 30 Jun 2008, 08:05

Yes, a similar thing happened to me on Emerald Island when using the cannon.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Rune_Caster
Demon
Demon

Wandering around on top of Witches' Clouds at level 1 (WoX)

Unread postby Rune_Caster » 01 Jun 2010, 07:46

Playing World of Xeen (game before last) I had a + 10 blessing from the temple but I accidentally hit the back arrow, next thing I know I am falling off out of the clouds with a thunk when I hit the ground. EVERYONE DIES!!

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 01 Jun 2010, 11:14

Had to reload and fight several dragons AGAIN
I have not read all the posts, but all you had to do was reload the autosave, from your teleport.

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 01 Jun 2010, 12:47

When I bought Might and Magic VI, my PC was slightly above the minimal configuration for the game. Unfortunately, even then the game was slow and laggy in the outdoors areas that it was nearly unplayable on my PC.

In fact, it was so laggy my characters were actually receiving damage when they were climbing down stairs (like they had fell from a significant height).

One of the first times I tried to play Might and Magic VI, I actually killed all my party when trying to climb down the stairs behind the tavern in New Sorpigal. Really.

After that I went to the PC store and bought 32 mo of extra RAM...

jeff4815
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby jeff4815 » 01 Jun 2010, 21:39

When in the Abandoned Temple in MM6, I apprently tripped down the first flight of stairs when a bunch of cobras were in front of me, instantly killing all of my party.
And there was much rejoicing...
"You want a piece of me?!"
Ithilgore trying to Identify a Dragon: "Haven't seen one before..."

Rune_Caster
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Rune_Caster » 02 Jun 2010, 00:36

bungleau wrote:Some pretty ignoble deaths...

For those who suddenly died for no apparent reason, any chance it might have been at three in the morning? If it's been too long since your characters actually rested, then at three AM instead of becoming weak, other things can happen - insanity and death among them.
Yeah, after about 3 days of not resting your characters have a chance of either being weak, insane or dead. In Might and Magic 4 - 5 not resting does not have any negitive side effects other then weakness which can auto cure it's self...

But at least when you visit a temple or goto the blacksmith, training grounds or guild you don't spend an entire day even if all you do is look to see if they have anything useful.

Return to “Might and Magic”