MM7: What if classes were restricted by race?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
UndeadHalfOrc
Titan
Titan

MM7: What if classes were restricted by race?

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 19 Oct 2007, 00:19

That would have been interesting if only some races could choose certain classes. I would have done it similar to AD&D

Goblin - Restricted to Knight, Monk, Thief, Paladin, Archer and Ranger. Too stupid and brutish to bother with the heavy spellcasting classes.

Dwarf - Restricted to Knight, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, Cleric and Druid. Realistically, not dextrous enough to become Thief or Archer, and not sophisticated enough to be Sorcerers. The idea of dwarf liches is ridiculous anyway, and AD&D forbids them to become mages.

Elf - Restricted to Thief, Archer, Ranger, Cleric, Druid and Sorcerer.
Not tough enough to become any of the Plate armor / high HP classes. Knights/Paladins are trained in Steadwick and it makes no sense for an elf to be one.

Human - Can access all classes (just like AD&D). By the way, humans benefit the least overall from bonus point at the start of the game. Try it, any 4-people party made of only 1 race will beat the 4 humans stat wise no matter how optimal you try to make it.

So, all classes could be chosen by only 3 races except Ranger (all 4) and Sorcerer (only 2). By the way, Dwarves can't become mages in AD&D either.

Anybody here ever made a Goblin sorcerer/druid/cleric, Dwarf thief/archer/sorcerer or Elf Knight/Paladin/Monk in a real MM7 game?

Deadguy118
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Deadguy118 » 19 Oct 2007, 00:50

I'm actually thinking about doing that. It makes everything more difficult at the beginning, but by the end the amount of stat boosts makes up for it.
Back from the dead? Maybe.

Secret_Holder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Secret_Holder » 19 Oct 2007, 02:24

Your idea is very logical, but it would ruin the fun of making experimental parties. Like a Dwarven Sorcerer and a Elven Paladin and so on.

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 19 Oct 2007, 02:42

^Second what Secret Holder said. It would have been so much fun to do a troll sorcerer in MM8...

Suleman
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Suleman » 19 Oct 2007, 12:57

I think that's just stupid. The class choices are already restricted by stats, and that's enough.
"Yes, but what about David Beckham and the magic mushroom?"

I'm baaaaaack!

accabear
Scout
Scout

Unread postby accabear » 20 Oct 2007, 03:19

Logical fantasy classes. Yes I agree. A great idea.

Suleman
Demon
Demon

Re: MM7: What if classes were restricted by race?

Unread postby Suleman » 20 Oct 2007, 12:22

UndeadHalfOrc wrote:That would have been interesting if only some races could choose certain classes. I would have done it similar to AD&D

Goblin - Restricted to Knight, Monk, Thief, Paladin, Archer and Ranger. Too stupid and brutish to bother with the heavy spellcasting classes.

Dwarf - Restricted to Knight, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, Cleric and Druid. Realistically, not dextrous enough to become Thief or Archer, and not sophisticated enough to be Sorcerers. The idea of dwarf liches is ridiculous anyway, and AD&D forbids them to become mages.

Elf - Restricted to Thief, Archer, Ranger, Cleric, Druid and Sorcerer.
Not tough enough to become any of the Plate armor / high HP classes. Knights/Paladins are trained in Steadwick and it makes no sense for an elf to be one.

Human - Can access all classes (just like AD&D). By the way, humans benefit the least overall from bonus point at the start of the game. Try it, any 4-people party made of only 1 race will beat the 4 humans stat wise no matter how optimal you try to make it.

So, all classes could be chosen by only 3 races except Ranger (all 4) and Sorcerer (only 2). By the way, Dwarves can't become mages in AD&D either.

Anybody here ever made a Goblin sorcerer/druid/cleric, Dwarf thief/archer/sorcerer or Elf Knight/Paladin/Monk in a real MM7 game?
I'm really sorry to be the first to say this, but that's just racism.

Goblin (and other barbaric races') society has its magic users, but they are rarer and thus even more respected/feared. Think of Ogre Magi and Battle Mages in Heroes III/IV.
Elves: Think about the beginning of The Fellowship of The Ring: Elven Soldiers, with their glaives ready to meet the orcish onslaught. OF COURSE THEY HAVE WARRIORS, THEY ARE ONE OF THE MAJOR CIVILIZATIONS ON THE DAMN WORLD
Dwarves are excellent weaponmakers and are known for their practicality. Not only do they make excellent crossbows, but they also know how to use them. They have a deep connection with the earth and thus should be familiar with elemental magic and sorcery. I mean, they wouldn't shun magic, since it's enormously practical and useful for enchanting weapons and such. Also, their knowledge of mechanics, small size and strength make are excellent qualities for thieves. Not to mention that they love gold and riches.

Humans? Humans are chumps.

I'm baaaaaack!

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 20 Oct 2007, 16:26

Ballroom Dancer wrote:That would have been interesting if only some races could choose certain classes. I would have done it similar to AD&D
No for (A)D&D in Might and Magic!!! :devil:

You idea with restriction isn't funny. What if I want to have Goblin or Half-Orc Lich or maybe Druid Dwarf? :devil:

Restrictions always aren't good idea. Some negative bonuses when you choose classes not fitting your race is ok, but why forbid gamer to create some oryginal hero? Do you really want have for ex. only Dwarf Warrior/Priest or Elf Sorceror/Archer?

accabear
Scout
Scout

Unread postby accabear » 21 Oct 2007, 01:14

Suleman wrote:
Goblin (and other barbaric races') society has its magic users, but they are rarer and thus even more respected/feared. Think of Ogre Magi and Battle Mages in Heroes III/IV.
Elves: Think about the beginning of The Fellowship of The Ring: Elven Soldiers, with their glaives ready to meet the orcish onslaught. OF COURSE THEY HAVE WARRIORS, THEY ARE ONE OF THE MAJOR CIVILIZATIONS ON THE DAMN WORLD
Dwarves are excellent weaponmakers and are known for their practicality. Not only do they make excellent crossbows, but they also know how to use them. They have a deep connection with the earth and thus should be familiar with elemental magic and sorcery. I mean, they wouldn't shun magic, since it's enormously practical and useful for enchanting weapons and such. Also, their knowledge of mechanics, small size and strength make are excellent qualities for thieves. Not to mention that they love gold and riches.

Were we not trying to base this on D&D not Lord of the Rings? I believe that dwarfs do not have magic users and use more 'practical' magic such as a blessed forging hammer as such. I agree that there are shamans and such but they are fairly crude in their ways. I have no idea how you guys would want to depict a shaman's crudeness, spell school restrictions?

UndeadHalfOrc
Titan
Titan

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 21 Oct 2007, 01:47

You guys need to chill. That was just an idea to toy around with. Nothing serious about my topic.

A question for those who tried a Dwarf Lich. What was your first reaction when you saw him/her becoming just as tall as a human?

Suleman
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Suleman » 21 Oct 2007, 17:08

accabear wrote:
Suleman wrote:

Were we not trying to base this on D&D not Lord of the Rings? I believe that dwarfs do not have magic users and use more 'practical' magic such as a blessed forging hammer as such. I agree that there are shamans and such but they are fairly crude in their ways. I have no idea how you guys would want to depict a shaman's crudeness, spell school restrictions?
Question is:
Why base it on DnD? Besides, DnD has allowed all races access to all base classes since 3.0.
Also, the crudeness of the shaman can be depicted by the character's small mana pool (thanks to low magic-related stats).

I'm baaaaaack!

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 22 Oct 2007, 00:19

[quote="UndeadHalfOrc"]You guys need to chill. That was just an idea to toy around with. Nothing serious about my topic.
quote]

Well, some people think DnD is serious, you can't say they aren't die hards :proud:

CoffeeGnome
Pixie
Pixie

Dwarf Monk

Unread postby CoffeeGnome » 23 Oct 2007, 15:35

I've made dwarven monks on more than one occasion because of their high endurance. You can gain enough barrells during the game to make up for their lack of dexterity or speed very easily.
I made an elf pasladin once also but at this time I cannot remember exactly why. (Possibly because I like how the female elves look in plate mail. B-) )

UndeadHalfOrc
Titan
Titan

Re: Dwarf Monk

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 23 Oct 2007, 15:39

CoffeeGnome wrote:I've made dwarven monks on more than one occasion because of their high endurance. You can gain enough barrells during the game to make up for their lack of dexterity or speed very easily.
Dwarves make excellent monks. I don't know why you bring it up, I was not suggesting they would be denied to be monks in my original post.
CoffeeGnome wrote:I made an elf pasladin once also but at this time I cannot remember exactly why. (Possibly because I like how the female elves look in plate mail. B-) )
Mmmmm. Elf females in plate armor. Can't argue with you there. :)

Return to “Might and Magic”