Weapon Enchantments - What rocks?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
masterpoobaa
Peasant
Peasant

Weapon Enchantments - What rocks?

Unread postby masterpoobaa » 28 Sep 2007, 05:45

I love weapon enchantments... some alot more than others.
Heres what i think you should get/use.

of earth/wizards/warriors/rogues etc - Handy little statboosters, useful if you have a choice between two identical weapons, one with the enchantment, one without, but if possible i go for enchantments that actually do damage. Also my games also have a habit of giving me the exact opposite i need... ie my knight gets a spear of wizards. Supa handy that.

of recovery - This somewhat missleading enchantment doesnt speed up the weapon at all (boo-hiss), rather it reduces the recovery time for when you take physical damage. I use it when i have no other enchantments, apart from that... flog it for cash.

of force - supposedly pushes monsters backwards. Sounds good in theory, but is weak and close to pointless in combat. If you hit someone long enough it may spoil their shot at you by having to take a step forward... but more often than not they are dead before they get pushed back far enough. And to make it extra useless, i have never seen any effect with bows of force.

of doom - also close to pointless. 1 point infact LOL. use it if youdont have anything else of equivalent quality.

antique - WooHoo. CASHCOW. but of no use otherwise. Of extra special no use if it breaks and you cannot fix it yourself. its repair bill will be Biiiiiig.

Demon Slayer or Dragon Slayer - Handy... but you gotta be near demons or dragons! Save for a rainy day perhaps? :)
Shame theres no Might & Magic 3 'Beast bopper' or 'vs humanoids!

of fire, cold, sparks or poison - of these 1st level enchantments, try to get 'of poison' as it reliably does more damage than the rest. To explain what i mean:
of fire = 1-6 dmg, average of 3.5
of sparks = 2-5 dmg, average 3.5
of cold = 3-4 dmg, average 3.5
So the choice between these 3 is personal prefrence/availability.
But of poison does 5 points of damage reliably, plus resistance seems to be less than the others with a wide range of critters.

of flame, lightning, frost or venom
2nd level powerups, but same as above, venom does a reliable 8 points of damage compared with averages of 7pts for the others.

of infernos, thundabolts, ice, acid
Once again more damage, once again of acid does reliably more damage.

of carnage - An enchantment that sounds useful, but ive found it less exciting than expected. Part of the problem is that its wonderful against large number of wieny monsters, but you rarely get the enchantment until late in the game, where its alot less effective against high level critters. As far as i can tell, the explosion has a standard fireball area of effect and damage done is as pet hit damage.
GrandMaster bow for MM7 & 8 will boost this nicely.

of vampric - Now we are getting into the GOOD enchantments. A very handy enchantment to have. Every hit has the chance to heal your character. with a high damage, fast hitting weapon it can save alot of healing and heartache!

of swiftness - Just like having perminant haste on that weapon. If given a choice of swiftness over vampric i think i would actually pick swiftness! A clobbered monster cant deal you any damage.

of dragon - The king of Damage enchantments. 2 Enchantments in one! 10-20 points of damage plus a zesty 25 mgiht points. Whats not to like?

of darkness - swiftness...vampric...dragon... They all pale in comparison to the KING of weapon enchantments.
Like 'of dragon' its essentially 2 enchantments in one... swiftness plus vampric on top.
But in reality its even better than it sounds, as the weapon is so much faster you really get a vampric HP regen rate 1.5 to 2 times better than a plain vampric weapon.

So there you go... All hail weapons of darkness! (assuming u can find them!) :D
M&M VI - the best.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 28 Sep 2007, 14:02

I have never managed to enchant a weapon with "of Darkness" using the enchant spell, though, even at GM level.

But yeah, for me it's all about Swiftness/Vampiric/Of Infernos, and in MM6 Dragon Slaying and Demon Slayer are pretty good too.

Side note: there is only one "Of Recovery" item obtainable in MM7, and it's the elven chainmail (Arcomage quest reward). Impossible to get "of recovery" as a normal enchantement.

Weapon Enchantments are THE reason why Knight kick Monk's ass in melee damage in MM7, and a factor that most people tend to forget when comparing them.

And I noticed how you love "poison" type damage - keep in mind that while good in MM6, in MM7 poison type damage is either "water" or "body" damage - worthless against undead. Try Acid burst on ghosts, wraiths, etc.

Fire and Lightning are the most reliable damage elements in MM7.

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 28 Sep 2007, 14:28

I like the stuff 'of Regeneration' myself. Means I can just sit in a secluded corner or heal as I explore, so I don't have to return to town (and thereby let any wounded monsters heal back to full) or rest (which takes food, and may trigger encounters--very annoying when my party has next to no hp left...)

It's also very nice against the spellpoint-zapping creatures, especially the Kreegan. Even if my Sorc AND Cleric get zapped I only have to wait a fraction of the time it would take to rest to go back to town and heal once my Ring of Mana Regeneration replaces the spell points necessary for Town Portal...

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 28 Sep 2007, 16:38

If I had my choice, all my characters would have a weapon 'of the Dragon'. Even a lowly staff can become deadly if it is enchanted with +10-20 Fire Damage and +25 Might. :D

And while have a bow 'of Carnage' is cool at a distance, it is very dangerous to your party if used indoors. I have lost count of how many times I have zapped my own characters with a Bow of Carnage. ;|

In MM7 (& 8) what I find even better than using Enchant Item on weapons is to use Fire Aura … especially when you have it at GM Level. Any weapon, even the suckiest stick can become a valuable 'of Fire' or 'of Infernos'. At GM this spell is permanent and makes any weapon more valuable in the amount of 2,000 gold. Your party can become quite wealthy selling worthless clubs by enchanting them with Fire Aura (at GM level). :-D

I find that having your sword and dagger wielding characters using two weapons … one 'of the Dragon' and the other 'of Acid' makes even the weakest Mage or Druid a deadly opponent. And if your characters are lucky enough to also have some kind of Armor 'of the Phoenix' and a piece of jewlery 'of the Unicorn' they're all set to conquer the world. :D
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

dcinroc
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby dcinroc » 28 Sep 2007, 16:39

For my spellcasters, I always try to find something with the "of plenty" enchantment to regenerate hit points and spell points.

I also like "of protection". Any +Armsmaster is great for a warrior type (highest I've ever seen is +17).

I agree about the weapon enchantments, although "of darkness" is so powerful that it can effectively make that character unbeatable. I took out all the dragons in Isingore's cave in MM8 with a solo Minotaur without using a single spell or potion...just sucking up hit points with my Minotaur Axe of Darkness. I got it from Erudine Ore in Alvar when I was only around 20th level or so. The rest of the game was a cake walk after that.

My weapons enchantments almost always suck from the Enchant Item spell...so I usually just sell those weapons and stick to enchanting armor and other items. I have gotten some "of the dragon" or "vampiric" enchantments, but I usually just use Fire Aura on my weapons.

The best weapons always come from the Ore traders.

dcinroc
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby dcinroc » 28 Sep 2007, 16:41

And while have a bow 'of Carnage' is cool at a distance, it is very dangerous to your party if used indoors. I have lost count of how many times I have zapped my own characters with a Bow of Carnage.
True. It is also useless against fire immune creatures.

Return to “Might and Magic”