Finally started my first MM8 game.

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
UndeadHalfOrc
Titan
Titan

Finally started my first MM8 game.

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 26 Sep 2007, 13:30

Picked the default starting lady (Knight), named her Valeska (a Knight from HoMM3.)
Recruited the Necro and Vampire, then the Cleric.
Bought some weapons, learned some skills.

Then I died to Meteor Shower. Lost all my 917 gold :(

Does the Cleric leave you after a while or he can stay permanently? I was hoping of making him my permanent cleric.

I don't plan on using dragons at all.

Sir William S Titan
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Sir William S Titan » 26 Sep 2007, 15:38

The cleric stays until you tell him to go to the adventurer's inn.

A warning, since this is your first game. Don't enter the pyramid structure in turn-based mode. Accepting party members while in turn-based mode, the game doesn't like. I think that if you refuse the new member, in turn-based mode, you would be fine, but not accepting the new member.
Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 500 character limit

UndeadHalfOrc
Titan
Titan

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 26 Sep 2007, 16:43

Don't worry, I NEVER used Turn Based Mode in neither MM6 or MM7, (and so never experienced the many bugs associated with it) and I'm not gonna start now :)

Sir William S Titan
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Sir William S Titan » 26 Sep 2007, 16:48

Ah. Well, you should be fine, then. I, myself, don't really use turn-based mode, either. Not much, at least. I use it for pausing the game, and for getting a good look at what I'm up against before I start fighting, but that's about it.
Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 500 character limit

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: Finally started my first MM8 game.

Unread postby HodgePodge » 26 Sep 2007, 16:55

UndeadHalfOrc wrote:Picked the default starting lady (Knight), named her Valeska (a Knight from HoMM3.)
Recruited the Necro and Vampire, then the Cleric.
Bought some weapons, learned some skills.

Then I died to Meteor Shower. Lost all my 917 gold :(

Does the Cleric leave you after a while or he can stay permanently? I was hoping of making him my permanent cleric.

I don't plan on using dragons at all.
You can build up your cleric and he can be your permenent cleric throughout the game. You can hire & dismiss characters at will. If you want to rehire a character you dismissed, just go back to the Adventurers Guild and rehire him or her.

I think you'll miss out on a good part of the game if you don't at least give a Dragon a try. There is a young dragon (only Level 5) for hire in a cave in Garrote Gorge who will readily join your party without any other requirements. Many of the other characters come with restrictions before they'll join your party.

Oh yeah, and if your party is already full when a character agrees to join, they will go to the Adventurers Guild and wait for you there to be hired. And if you dismiss a character, they will also wait for you at the Adventurers Guild. You should let as many characters join as possible because you can safely store all your extra stuff in their inventories at the Adventurers Guild. The Adventurers Guild never respawns and is never attacked so you can safely store stuff there.

Good Luck & Have Fun! :-D
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 26 Sep 2007, 17:08

There were bugs associated with the turn based mode? I never encountered any...
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

DaveO
Demon
Demon

Unread postby DaveO » 27 Sep 2007, 01:23

Having a Cleric and Vampire is a bit redundant if you ask me. The only reason to have a Cleric is Light spells, but if you must have them then the Cleric is a must-have. As HodgePodge mentioned, you can swap out the Cleric at certain alliances but I prefer to stick with characters that I can either hire or build myself. As far as the Dragons go, they make the game too easy even with just one. IF the standard flame attack was spell based too, it would be one way to make the Dragon more balanced.

Perhaps a 'bug' with Turn Based Mode is that standard Dragon attacks ALWAYS hit.
I'd rather be part bull than a complete sheep.

ShadoMan
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ShadoMan » 27 Sep 2007, 03:23

yeah, ignore what you've heard on the forums and just try a dragon. He's part of the game and fun to try. Of all the games, the start of mm8 is by far my fav. You'll get another knight soon, so no worries. Just play through the game figuring things out yourself. Forget what we say about the game, and just enjoy it the 1st time through.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 27 Sep 2007, 03:42

DaveO wrote:… As far as the Dragons go, they make the game too easy even with just one. IF the standard flame attack was spell based too, it would be one way to make the Dragon more balanced.

Perhaps a 'bug' with Turn Based Mode is that standard Dragon attacks ALWAYS hit.
ShadoMan wrote:yeah, ignore what you've heard on the forums and just try a dragon. He's part of the game and fun to try. Of all the games, the start of mm8 is by far my fav. You'll get another knight soon, so no worries. Just play through the game figuring things out yourself. Forget what we say about the game, and just enjoy it the 1st time through.
Yeah, and they're also the cutest characters in the game! ImageImage

masterpoobaa
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby masterpoobaa » 27 Sep 2007, 22:29

i think dragons are good characters for noobs.
Get one asap and assign every last skillpoint to dragon skill.
gotta love (Level X 1d10)+10 damage!
M&M VI - the best.

Lord13
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Lord13 » 27 Sep 2007, 22:51

Yeap i agree, dragons are great for some1
who don't now well the game, the 2nd time
you will start it just ignore them, personally
i play it with 4 no-dragon members. Later i
will try it solo.
Btw, how u can play without turn based mode?
I mean this is what i loved at MnM, hit a button
and so simple u have turn based(they are few bugs
thought). :P
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...
Only heroes live forever!

DaveO
Demon
Demon

Unread postby DaveO » 28 Sep 2007, 11:57

Ever notice how obvious it was that the designers had zero time to give alternate gender options for the Troll and the Minotaur? Now IF MM10 is ever created, we may see how the lack of 'babes' for both of them makes them not an option as a character choice in MM10.
I'd rather be part bull than a complete sheep.

UndeadHalfOrc
Titan
Titan

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 28 Sep 2007, 13:55

As a general rule, if the developers think that females of a certain race would be quite ugly, then they don't include them :)

The only playable race I've ever seen that allowed only females but no males were AD&D Thri-Kreen (Humanoid Mantis)

dcinroc
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby dcinroc » 28 Sep 2007, 16:52

Having a Cleric and Vampire is a bit redundant if you ask me. The only reason to have a Cleric is Light spells, but if you must have them then the Cleric is a must-have.
Actually, I think Clerics have HUGE advantage over Vampires. GM Magic Protection is nice, as is Power Cure, and Light Magic is fantastic.

Furthermore, the Cleric "Quest" is a gimme and could be accomplished just by killing the wolves on your way to Murmurwoods via Garrot Gorge or Alvar, whereas the Vampire has to either have the Invisibility spell or be high enough level to take out the cyclopses and Efreet (and even invisibility won't get you past the cyclopses cuz they block the corridor).

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 28 Sep 2007, 17:42

dcinroc wrote:Actually, I think Clerics have HUGE advantage over Vampires. GM Magic Protection is nice, as is Power Cure, and Light Magic is fantastic.
I agree. The only advantage a Vampire has is the Levitate Spell.

Return to “Might and Magic”