100 Questions About the World of Might and Magic

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 04 Mar 2012, 15:52

GreatEmerald wrote:Well, it's wasn't quite a reboot... *glares at Ubisoft*
Well, that was destruction rather than a reboot :) I mean the reboot of local Enroth storyline, of course.
Avonu wrote:Wasn't Queen Catherine suggested as last ruler of Erathia in Lysander campaign in HIV?
She of course pointed Morgal Kendal to be regent and to choose new king (it supposed to be Gelu IIRC some old rumors) but eventually he didn't chose anyone before Reckoning came.
Not quite. Catherine is mentioned a couple of times in The True Blade, but it's never stated that she remained Erathia's ruler up until Reckoning (and for a good reason, since it would contradict AB and MM8). It isn't established that Kendal haven't chosen the new ruler, either. Quite the contrary, the final map of CotD mentions king of Erathia, and it wouldn't be logical if Kendal never chose anyone. It's not Gelu, as far as one can tell from The Sword of Frost campaign. Who the king was doesn't really matter, since he's an off-screen character, but it would be interesting to know.
Avonu wrote: Probably it came with first colonists and was created by Ancients or their technology. Who knows what secrets came with VARN? After all, one "thing" from Ancient armory "created" Dragonsand desert in one, big boom. Maybe other so powerful artifacts were scattered around world, so incident like that in Day of Fire will not happen again.
I doubt it came with the VARN seeding Enroth, since HC mentions the Sword of Frost being created about a thusand years ago and causing the creation of the glacier around Volee (which made the climate of Vori even colder). I think it's safe to assume that the Sword was created by some powerful Vori mage-forgerers.
Last edited by XEL II on 06 Mar 2012, 17:15, edited 1 time in total.
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 04 Mar 2012, 17:31

XEL II wrote:Not quite. Catherine is mentioned a couple of times in The True Blade, but it's never stated that she remained Erathia's ruler up until Reckoning (and for a good reason, since it would contradict AB and MM8). It isn't established that Kendal haven't chosen the new ruler, either. Quite the contrary, the final map of CotD mentions king of Erathia, and it wouldn't be logical if Kendal never chose anyone. It's not Gelu, as far as one can tell from The Sword of Frost campaign. Who the king was doesn't really matter, since he's an off-screen character, but it would be interesting to know.
There is no word about Kendal in Chronicles or HIV. My guess is that Terry Ray didn't know about him, so last ruler of Erathia was Catherine Ironfist. From True Blade texts I have impresion that indeed Catherine was on Erathia when Reckoning came. No word about her husband or their departure to Jadame and Enroth.
I need to check HIV to be sure but I think that was idea behind Erathia final days story.
XEL II wrote:I doubt it came with the VARN seeding Enroth, since HC mentions the Sword of Frost being created about a thusand years ago and causing the creation of the glacier around Volee (which made the climate of Vori even colder). I think it's safe to assume that the Sword was created by some powerful Vori mage-forgerers.
Well, thousand years ago we had Heavenly Forges, advanced civilization on Enroth, Webgates and contact with Ancients' worlds. So it could be correct. First Elves came to Antagarich before Silence (and Vori is a part of Antagarich after all), so they could carry on this sword which turned later Vori into snow island.
But again, Sword of Frost is not MM "lorewise" but IIRC created by Terry Ray, who didn't know/ignore most of this planet and universe lore from MM games.

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 05 Mar 2012, 06:35

GreatEmerald wrote:
XEL II wrote:Hence we got that stupid "reboot" with Enroth getting destroyed by the Reckoning, which had cut many potential and interesting story branches.
Well, it's wasn't quite a reboot... *glares at Ubisoft*
XEL meant Axeoth, not Ashan.

P.S. Missed a page. :)

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 06 Mar 2012, 16:17

- Is Agar canonically dead? All the quest- and plot-related deaths are suposed to be canonical in MM, but Agar's Laboratory is just a bonus, not having anything to do with beating the game or completing any quest. He may well have survived the heroes' visit there (if they went there at all).
If you desperately want Agar to be back in Horn of the Abyss as a Lich, you can easily just say he was killed/eradicated and brought back again by some benefactor of his at a dark temple (Archibald? Nimbus? even Xanthor?). It may be a cheap handwave, but it happens all the time in the games, people being fully revived from soot and ashes. Or make a flashback map with him, whatever it takes. Who doesn't love the old coot.

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 06 Mar 2012, 17:10

Well, "all the time" is mainly through game mechanics, resurrection is even integrated into healing (making it much more expensive). And it would be harder to revive the undead.

What I'm saying is that his status canonically isn't necessarily dead, since his death isn't required story-wise in any way.
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 06 Mar 2012, 21:19

Corlagon wrote:If you desperately want Agar to be back in Horn of the Abyss as a Lich, you can easily just say he was killed/eradicated and brought back again by some benefactor of his at a dark temple (Archibald? Nimbus? even Xanthor?). It may be a cheap handwave, but it happens all the time in the games, people being fully revived from soot and ashes. Or make a flashback map with him, whatever it takes. Who doesn't love the old coot.
Heh:
"Shepard! I thought you were dead!"
"... I got better."

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 06 Mar 2012, 21:59

Nah, everyone knows Corporal is just on an inter-dimensional V-22 Osprey :tongue:

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 09 Mar 2012, 08:12

After reading Solmyr's dream I am wondering, how it was connected with actual game events and/or Reckoning iself? Or maybe none at all?

@Corlagon
Just assking, did you get my PMs from Febuary?

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 09 Mar 2012, 08:56

It's a dream about something terrible coming. Obviously meaning the Reckoning.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 09 Mar 2012, 09:23

But is Fate just a methaphore or something more and more real?

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 10 Mar 2012, 10:20

Metaphor, of course. It was a dream.

BMJedi
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BMJedi » 15 Mar 2012, 22:42

Note to moderators:

I never knew this thread existed. Someone necromanced it from 2007.

It is an awesome thread, and might provide a clean way for remaining fans to discuss story bible questions, with a gradual increase in knowledge over time arising from old discussions, references, and consensi not being lost to forum scroll.

Could we please have a sticky on this?

Thank you.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke, "Clarke's Third Law".

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 16 Mar 2012, 22:14

Well, the consesus does tend to change over time... *glares at Cepheus*

Ideally, a new thread with links to old threads like that would prove to be fruitful.

Return to “Might and Magic”