You knew it was coming... favorite M&M game!

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).

Favorite Might and Magic game

M&M I
No votes
M&M II
6%
M&M III
1%
M&M IV
1%
M&M V
1%
M&M VI
33%
M&M VII
43%
M&M VIII
11%
M&M IX
3%
Dark Messiah of M&M
No votes

Total votes: 70

jeff4815
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby jeff4815 » 15 May 2008, 20:38

Tough call. III and VI are classics. My favorite land is in VII, though. But my favorite party system/characters are in VIII.

I'm going to have to abstain.
And there was much rejoicing...
"You want a piece of me?!"
Ithilgore trying to Identify a Dragon: "Haven't seen one before..."

bungleau
Scout
Scout

Unread postby bungleau » 15 May 2008, 21:20

MM1 was my first, and you never forget your first... but I remember the thrill of MM6 and all it brought. That was fantastic... but I *have* to give the nod to MM7 for more balanced play. And BDJ's mod doesn't hurt either... :)

I may be strange, but I really enjoyed Castle Darkmoor in MM6... so huge and challenging, it was almost like a second game! I hate the piddly ones, like the hag hairbrush quest in MMIX... that was a waste of effort!

Saxon1974
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Saxon1974 » 17 Feb 2010, 03:32

I voted MMII.

I think that since so many here like VI and VII best this board must be full of youngsters :)

I grew up playing these games and I loved MMI and especially MMII, and still think its the most fun to this day.

Currently replaying VI even though I didnt like it when it came out because it felt too actiony and had to many enemies everywhere you went.

I think I must have played MMI when it came out and I was about 12 and Im 35 now so been playing MM games along time!

Jymbob
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Jymbob » 17 Feb 2010, 10:34

Saxon1974 wrote:I voted MMII.

I think that since so many here like VI and VII best this board must be full of youngsters :)
Well, I'm 44 and have played them all, and I have to say I still find MM7 to be the best of them.

I do remember though, that specially MM3 was kinda mindblowing, for its time at least and it had the best story (wasnt it in that game you found out you all the time had been walking on the huge space-ship??)

And MM6 had maybe more RPG feeling than 7, but today I like 7 specially for its rather short dungeons, skill system and reply value. For instance it just took me 5 days last week to complete it with 4 thiefs. (I know its never about ending a game asap, but when its my 75th time, I kinda want to see the end of the road)..

Coldy
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Coldy » 17 Feb 2010, 14:32

Might and Magic VII for me. Just loved the game, the story, gameplay, soundtrack everything really. :)
And yes, huge replay value. :D

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 17 Feb 2010, 14:44

Yea, I like MM7 the most as well, mostly due to a very good GUI and skill system, very clear descriptions of what everything does and a good graphical style.
Though MM3 comes as a close second.

Saxon1974
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Saxon1974 » 17 Feb 2010, 17:11

Im going to play VII and then VIII after I finish or get tired of playing VI.

Then I might attempt to go back and play MMI-V. That will take years though I bet!

jeff4815
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby jeff4815 » 18 Feb 2010, 14:44

Might and Magic VIII definately. It was nice to see some different races besides humans and humanoids. I always found that that game had better replayability with the dynamic party system. It coulda been longer though. It had a lot of potential.
And there was much rejoicing...
"You want a piece of me?!"
Ithilgore trying to Identify a Dragon: "Haven't seen one before..."

Konfuzius
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Konfuzius » 18 Feb 2010, 19:51

I like MM8 most, I don't know why, it's just a personal view. I like the new races like Minotaurs, Vampires and Dark Elves and it's your decision to take Dragons or not.

Even if it's short and easy it's my favourite MM. If I could vote twice I would vote for MM6 I love those gigantic Dungeons and the tougher enemies.

I haven't played the first 5 yet, but I'm sure that I will play them too.

Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Sure Valla » 19 Feb 2010, 10:33

Hard question!

mm6,mm7 and mm8 are all fantastic!
Last edited by Sure Valla on 18 Apr 2013, 01:09, edited 1 time in total.

Mn
Scout
Scout

Re: You knew it was coming... favorite M&M game!

Unread postby Mn » 20 Feb 2010, 17:53

My first favorite is MM6, but my second vote will be done to MM3.

seancdaug
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: You knew it was coming... favorite M&M game!

Unread postby seancdaug » 22 May 2010, 21:21

Mn wrote:My first favorite is MM6, but my second vote will be done to MM3.
I have a pretty even opinion of all of the MM games from MM2 through MM8, and there's relatively little difference between any of them in terms of quality, IMO. MM7 was the first I played to completion, and it still holds a strong spot in my heart, but I think MM6 edges it out on the basis of its superior dungeon design: the Tomb of VARN is my favorite dungeon in the series, and I also really loved fighting my way through Dragonsand, as well. So MM6 got my nod. I also strongly considered World of Xeen, but I wouldn't know how to make a decision between MM4 and MM5 since WoX wasn't technically an option....

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 22 May 2010, 22:54

If you add Messiah, it would be fair to add crusaders as well. Not that it was that good to vote for but still.

Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Sure Valla » 23 May 2010, 08:24

tress wrote:If you add Messiah, it would be fair to add crusaders as well. Not that it was that good to vote for but still.
They will lose anyways :D

PicturesOfLily
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby PicturesOfLily » 23 May 2010, 13:24

MM 7 - first M&M game I played. Thought it was a new HOMMgame haha...how naive I was, well I was only 13.
However...I did hate it in the beginning, but luckily I gave it a chance :D
Dark Messiah is a great game - IMO - but not a M&M game.
And yes I know it was sort of a joke to add it in the vote B-)

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 23 May 2010, 19:04

PicturesOfLily wrote:MM 7 - first M&M game I played. Thought it was a new HOMMgame haha...how naive I was, well I was only 13.
However...I did hate it in the beginning, but luckily I gave it a chance :D
Dark Messiah is a great game - IMO - but not a M&M game.
And yes I know it was sort of a joke to add it in the vote B-)
So was my adding of MM9, but 2 people ended up voting for it :|

And yeah, in retrospect MM4 and 5 should have been combined in the poll just like they combine in real life.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 23 May 2010, 20:44

Voted 7 although 6 is made with more effort(more npc text and so on).
6 was my first mm game, and i really loved it, but 7th had so much improvements that made game so better i vote for it.

P.s who are those 2 guys who voted 9.Not to insult anyone but that's some weird taste.

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 23 May 2010, 21:11

There should be a seperate poll for MMIX, Crusaders and Dark Messiah to choose the "least horrible" of those :D
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 23 May 2010, 22:00

There should be a separate poll for MMIX, Crusaders and Dark Messiah to choose the "least horrible" of those
Dont see anything horrible about MMDM, action/RPG with quite good gameplay and pretty good use of game physics, that became popular after HL2 and other game with physic engines. Not that it has much to do with mm series, special old one but still as action game its quite good.

crusaders on other hand was quite medicore game, but also far from horible for time it was made.

Well mm IX... lets just say that if those guys at NWC had at least tiny bit of shame they would burned their office down so that game wouldn't have to be released.Not to mention call it best game in series yet.... How they sleep at night?

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 23 May 2010, 22:54

Please, be reasonable. MM9's enormous flaws had absolutely nothing to do with NWC.

Return to “Might and Magic”