You knew it was coming... favorite M&M game!

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).

Favorite Might and Magic game

M&M I
No votes
M&M II
6%
M&M III
1%
M&M IV
1%
M&M V
1%
M&M VI
33%
M&M VII
43%
M&M VIII
11%
M&M IX
3%
Dark Messiah of M&M
No votes

Total votes: 70

Sir William S Titan
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Sir William S Titan » 17 Sep 2007, 15:35

7 is my favorite.

6 is second. Lacks the skill balance for the classes.

2 gets third. First of them I played. Was quite fun, too.
Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 500 character limit

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 18 Sep 2007, 18:17

i voted MMIII, but thats cuz im so damn oldschool B-)
Last edited by Talin_Trollbane on 08 Apr 2010, 14:27, edited 1 time in total.
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 18 Sep 2007, 19:38

I'll go with Xeen (I kind of consider IV and V to be a single game, so I voted for IV). MMII was a close second. But I also like VI and VII, though VI got very boring towards the end for me.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 19 Sep 2007, 04:31

Corribus wrote:though VI got very boring towards the end for me.
Me too. Maybe someone should mod in grandmaster skills :-D

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 19 Sep 2007, 08:25

Might and Magic VI for me, was the first MM that i played and i was freaking hooked. I'm playing it right now, have to get to the Tomb of Varn already :o, characters are lvl105 :D.
MMIX was pure crap and did not AT ALL have that MM feel to it. It was just a crap game with loads of bugs...

Lord13
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Lord13 » 20 Sep 2007, 23:54

MnM 7 for me.
I also love MnM 6 but the 7th part includes
marvelous gameplay with many improvements
(better skill system,more races etc.).
MnM 8 is a great game, not as good as 6 and 7
thought. MnM 9 is awful(imo always), DM is not
a part of MnM rpg series i think(an action game
after all). I have spent few hours with older MnM
games but never finished them to judge them :P
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...
Only heroes live forever!

CoffeeGnome
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby CoffeeGnome » 11 Oct 2007, 23:40

I have to admit that MMVI and MMVII are the best of the might and magic litter, but I am afraid I am in the minority when I say I actually liked MMIX. The new magic system felt to me like a major turn in the right direction.

I hated MMVIII and feel that this was a major turn in the wrong direction.

Suleman
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Suleman » 12 Oct 2007, 22:07

M&M VII was the total package, in my opinion. It had better technology, a much more diverse system yet retained the charm of M&M 6.
Of course, M&M 6 was a bit larger, that I miss. I don't miss the monotonic soundtrack, bad creature designs, lack of races and classes etc.
"Yes, but what about David Beckham and the magic mushroom?"

I'm baaaaaack!

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 13 Oct 2007, 18:56

No one voted for MM9 yet... haha... was it REALLY that bad? LOL.

No one voted for Dark Messiah either but that's only because I included it in the poll as a joke (and a sad reminder that Ubisoft chose to release an action game instead of a true M&M game, a shame)

Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Meandor » 14 Oct 2007, 17:49

UndeadHalfOrc wrote:No one voted for MM9 yet... haha... was it REALLY that bad? LOL.
Without doubts.

BMJedi
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BMJedi » 14 Oct 2007, 18:08

MMIX was one of the biggest dissapointments of my life. They lost me the first time I pulled up the character inventory screen.

"WHAT? No paper dolls to play with? What were they thinking! Playing dress-up with my paper dolls was my favorite part of the game!! Were they TRYING to make the game no fun?" It was all downhill from there.

I voted for VI, I also am fond of VII, not so much VIII, though I still play it a little. I liked the playable dragons, hated the forced 'evil' orientation, mourned the loss of the druid, my favorite combo class. Too much playable monster, too little human/elf/dwarf.

Heretic_Cata
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Heretic_Cata » 14 Oct 2007, 20:04

1-5 haven't played'em.
6 was truly great. - And it gets my vote.
7 added some good stuff to the 6 recipe: stuff like GrandMastery, good/evil stuff - but it lacked something ... i dunno what, i just didn't like it as much.
8 was very cool - it had every thing 7 lacked. Too bad it didn't have the party creation of the others. This draged it down for me. Still, it was way better than 7.
9 was a disaster
DarkMessiah - i have it, but i haven't played yet. It's not really my genre.
"Be who you are and say what you feel - those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 14 Oct 2007, 21:26

Well, MMIX was really crap. Not just because of the bugs (well a little bit yes:P) but just the NO MM feel to the game. It's just a really bad rpg.
Paperdolls are missing and they checked in a crappy inventory system for that. I hated the story somehow, and the repetetive overall looks were crap. NO EXPLORING, because the maps were already drwan (exept for the dungeons, THANK GOD). Music was kinda nice and the building of your characters was done pretty awesome, but in the end it was just baaaaaad...

Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Meandor » 15 Oct 2007, 07:54

To be honest i found Dark Messiah a better MM game than MM9.

accabear
Scout
Scout

Unread postby accabear » 15 Oct 2007, 08:11

I found IX to be quite awful. AI was bad. The models looked crap, you can actually see this line dividing the body of people in half like a mirror image. The arena was damn buggy. The turn based system was useless. Too much walking. Buggy water combat. Inventory sucked alot. No paper dolls as mentioned. I hated scrolling through the ten thousand bits of loot in my character's inventory to identify stuff and sell stuff. The combat system accompanied by music was kinda weird and the skills trainers teaching both master and expert was just plain... idiocy. The loot system was a hole, what are these tiny bags of turds on the ground which sometimes randomly disappear from view for no particular reason and act like chests? Music was not very atmospheric like in previous games and there was NO MM feel. It felt like something glued together in a couple of months using some totally experimental game engine.

What a total monstrosity, I would only play it for it's character development. The NPC's joining your party was kind of novel, actually can anyone tell me if NPC's take XP from your kills?

Anyway I think I'll just go and fight in the crappy buggy arena at Lord level and breeze off the 'challenge' and then not get payed any gold when I come out. Then I'll go and kill some peasants who are usually invincible for some stupid reason but can somehow be killed by that NPC mage, Ar...somefink Klindor. What a crap game...

Sir Charles
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Sir Charles » 16 Oct 2007, 01:02

M&M 2. Without a doubt. That game introduced so many new features to RPG's it still amazes me to this day.

Second on my list would have to be M&M 6 (Mandate). Yeah, 7 built on the great innovations of 6, but for shear scope...mandate was a VERY formidible RPG.

M&M 9 and Dark Messiah....sorry, they don't count. NWC wasn't allowed to really make 9 and without them involved at all...DM just shouldn't be included in that group. It's sacrilege. :O)
Calvin: "Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless."

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 16 Oct 2007, 01:22

I approve that post :up:

Anyway, what were those innovations at the time?

For example I remember Daggerfall was amazing compared to Arena because you could levitate and climb. Were there similar things in MM 2?

Sir Charles
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Sir Charles » 16 Oct 2007, 02:18

The most notable was the first inclusion of automapping. MM2 was the first game to use that....not just the first MM game. The days of playing RPG's with a notepad of graph-paper was a thing of the past. Also the introduction of skills. The introduction of Hirelings or playable-NPC's. Lots of other things, more minor, but taken as a whole it was a very ground-breaking game.
Calvin: "Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless."

andy1694
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby andy1694 » 15 May 2008, 08:04

I want to Reply in this following.
Might and magic VI: The first game i played in this series and i simply loved it.
Might and magic VII: loved this game almost as much as VI was very good.
Might and magic Ix: I am playing this now. and i think it was fun. i liked it.
It was not bad at all.
Might and magic VIII: i actually think this game is a little boring. It had its fun moments but a litte short and easy

Bimbasto
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Bimbasto » 15 May 2008, 10:31

MM8 - vote, still best for me.
MM7 - second, after Mod was introduced. May be even better then MM8, but MM8 is really disained for solo and BDJ may be will create the Mod also. Almost vote.
MM6 - great game, but only one vote unfortunately...
MM9 - I think is necessary to paly some more times, but not really good for me.
Dark Messiah - so... hard to say. Do not like at all for the moment.

Return to “Might and Magic”