Best elemental damage spell in M&M6?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
MoUgaR
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Best elemental damage spell in M&M6?

Unread postby MoUgaR » 29 Aug 2007, 12:17

what is the best elemental school damage spell in M&M6?
;|

DaveO
Demon
Demon

Unread postby DaveO » 29 Aug 2007, 12:20

Sparks by far. It's the cheapest spell to cast and does the greatest amount of damage for the spell points.
I'd rather be part bull than a complete sheep.

accabear
Scout
Scout

Unread postby accabear » 29 Aug 2007, 12:21

Air. It's useful. Fly and Starburst can turn your Sorcerer into a gunship. I have never really used sparks all that much but I do know if you really want to dish out lots of damage at the expense of spell points then dark and fire are the schools you want.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: Best elemental damage spell in M&M6?

Unread postby HodgePodge » 29 Aug 2007, 16:46

MoUgaR wrote:what is the best elemental school damage spell in M&M6?
;|
It depends on where you are. Like if you are outside in Paradise Valley, Meteor Shower (Fire) while Flying above Titans is good (forget Starburst here because Titans are immune to Electrical Damage).

On the other hand, in Castle Darkmoor, against all those Evil Eyes, I have found nothing works as well as Poison Spray & Acid Burst (Water) but against those Liches, Destroy Undead (Light) and Inferno (Fire) works great. Against the Dragons in Dragonsand, I really love to use Moon Ray (Dark) and Starburst (Air).

Of course Light & Dark aren't classified as Elemental Magic. But your Cleric and Sorcerer can learn them fairly easily.

For early on in the game, use those low cost spells, Ice Bolt(W) Fire Bolt (F) Sparks (A) are the ones to use. Good damage for low cost. If you want to consider which schools of magic to develop first, I'd go with Water & Air, becasue those travel spells (Fly, Town Portal, Lloyds Beacon) are just so useful in the game. In the meantime, while you are waiting to level up, hire a Gate Master & a Wind Master.
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Swordmaster
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Swordmaster » 30 Aug 2007, 07:37

Starburst or Meteor Shower, depends on creature and location of course. When you have enough spell points those two are powerful weapons outdoors.

accabear
Scout
Scout

Unread postby accabear » 30 Aug 2007, 07:41

Hmmm... I haven't tried this but what about fly and sparks? Could make a nice fireworks display! Or you could use em like bombs outdoors.

DaveO
Demon
Demon

Unread postby DaveO » 30 Aug 2007, 11:51

The power of Sparks is up close at point blank range. Any multishot spell is generally pretty good in terms of dishing out damage. This explains the popularity of Sparks, Fire Blast, Poison Spray, and Shrapmetal. In terms of spell point costs, you will take down monsters much quicker with multiple low spell point spells than higher ones. If you get Meteor Storm or Starburst, you can often safely use the ICBM technique to obliterate entire maps with no risk to your party.

accabear
Scout
Scout

Unread postby accabear » 30 Aug 2007, 12:55

Wouldn't you need more than one spellcaster in your party to effectively kill several medium strength enemies with sparks due to recovery time etc.? Seriously on a time vs damage scale I don't think sparks is the best spell, I may be wrong though.

Apeman
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Apeman » 30 Aug 2007, 19:47

That's true, the power of spark does not lie in one sorcerer or druid casting it. But have a party with at least three masters who can cast it point blank range that is potential damage of in the hundreds.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 30 Aug 2007, 20:03

Apeman wrote:That's true, the power of spark does not lie in one sorcerer or druid casting it. But have a party with at least three masters who can cast it point blank range that is potential damage of in the hundreds.
True! That's why including an Archer in your party is very helpful. I would pick a Druid if their Promotion Quests weren't so time dependent & consuming.

A party consisting of Paladin, Archer, Cleric & Sorcerer is a good and balanced starting party and remain effective throughout the game. Both Archers & Sorcerers can attain Master Level Elemental Magic (after Promotions).

Paladins & Clerics balance out the party with their Self Magic abilities. Clerics & Sorcerers can both learn Light & Dark Magic. I almost always play with this combination of characters, as it seems to work the best for me in MM6. :)

DaveO
Demon
Demon

Unread postby DaveO » 31 Aug 2007, 12:10

I will always believe that Archer, Druid, Cleric, Sorcerer is a better party than Paladin, Archer, Cleric, Sorcerer. I know that Druids are looked down upon mainly due to excessive skill investments, time dependent promotions, and inability to do the Light/Dark spells. But they are more powerful long term than Paladins since they can use elemental spells, and Paladins can't. Elemental capability is by far the most important ability of any member of my party. So that rules out Knights and Paladins usually by default.

Of course if you just wanted a super power party, than Druid, Druid, Cleric, Sorcerer is the way to go!

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 31 Aug 2007, 15:56

DaveO wrote:I will always believe that Archer, Druid, Cleric, Sorcerer is a better party than Paladin, Archer, Cleric, Sorcerer. …

… Of course if you just wanted a super power party, than Druid, Druid, Cleric, Sorcerer is the way to go!
I agree that ADCS is an excellent party choice; but DDCS?? Much too weak on combat to be considered a strong party, especially at the beginning. And you have to get past the beginning to get to the end. :-D

Every party should have at least one character who can wield weapons effectively. While Druids do have Elemental & Self Magic, Paladins can learn Sword (use of two weapons at Master Level) Spear, Axe & Mace … all weapon types and have Self Magic capability. Archers also can learn all weapon types, as well as cast Elemental Magic. Druids can only learn Dagger & Staff as their melee weapons.

We each have our own preferences in party construction. For me, a balanced party is better than one that is too strong leaning one way or the other but lacking in other skills. Remember, the name of the game is Might & Magic and should have a balance of both types of skills. PACS is a very balanced party in all skill types … for the beginning, middle & end of the game. But that's just my Image.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 31 Aug 2007, 22:23

DaveO wrote:
Of course if you just wanted a super power party, than Druid, Druid, Cleric, Sorcerer is the way to go!
Not a bad team, but lacking in light/dark. The most powerful parties are either:
Cleric Druid Sorcerer Sorcerer
or
Cleric Sorcerer Sorcerer Sorcerer
or
Druid Sorcerer Sorcerer Sorcerer

And some crazy people would even say 4 sorcerers is the best team but early game must be HELL (no Heroism or Healing until Light/Dark magic comes around)
Last edited by UndeadHalfOrc on 31 Aug 2007, 22:31, edited 1 time in total.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 31 Aug 2007, 22:28

HodgePodge wrote:
Every party should have at least one character who can wield weapons effectively. While Druids do have Elemental & Self Magic, Paladins can learn Sword (use of two weapons at Master Level) Spear, Axe & Mace … all weapon types and have Self Magic capability. Archers also can learn all weapon types, as well as cast Elemental Magic. Druids can only learn Dagger & Staff as their melee weapons.
I disagree. Dagger/Mace users have massively increased damage with Heroism and Might boosts. Maces get damage increase with skill, and Daggers are the fastest weapon class. No need for spears/swords/axes. MM6 should be called "magic and magic 6". In mm7 this is different story since warrior classes get Armsmaster and better armor skills, and spellcasters need promotion to get Expert/Master/GM magic.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 01 Sep 2007, 02:03

UndeadHalfOrc wrote:I disagree. Dagger/Mace users have massively increased damage with Heroism and Might boosts. Maces get damage increase with skill, and Daggers are the fastest weapon class. No need for spears/swords/axes. MM6 should be called "magic and magic 6". In mm7 this is different story since warrior classes get Armsmaster and better armor skills, and spellcasters need promotion to get Expert/Master/GM magic.
That's okay, llike I said it's just my Image.

I still like to have a well balanced party. But maybe MoUgaR wants an all Elemental Party and 4 Sorcerers would be a real challenge at the start. Having an all Magic-Dagger wielding party might be fun. :-D

DaveO
Demon
Demon

Unread postby DaveO » 01 Sep 2007, 11:39

I was just presenting one option for a MM6 power party. Having played thru with Paladin, Archer, Cleric, Sorcerer a long time ago I can honestly say that I sorely missed offensive spell capability for the Paladin. I do believe that having two healers is indespensible regardless of game stage. Having a Druid in the party presents an opportunity to customize the party as needed.

Now back to the spell discussion, before we get too off-topic...

There is one hidden gem with the Ring of Fire spell. It's not as flashy as the other spells, but it is quite a damaging group spell. It's potential can be demonstrated in the Temple of Baa quite early in the game.

Mazzy
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Mazzy » 07 Sep 2007, 18:31

I guess it all depends on the creature you're attacking. But i find Inferno and Ice Blast (and of course, Incinerate) to be useful in any heavy situation, or almost... Inferno is even helpful when you're surrounded by mightier creatures. Though I have to stay i'm using offensive spells mostly in the mid or later stages of the game. Until then, distant attacks with bows are my favourite way to get rid of enemies... when they're getting close to death, i slain them with a combination of swords and axes/spears :devil: They're also not to be underestimated.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 08 Sep 2007, 01:18

DaveO wrote:There is one hidden gem with the Ring of Fire spell. It's not as flashy as the other spells, but it is quite a damaging group spell. It's potential can be demonstrated in the Temple of Baa quite early in the game.
I strongly agree with this. Ring of Fire was my favorite spell. It might not do much damage but over the many rounds it adds up.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 14 Sep 2007, 16:20

Poison Spray. As well as sparks, it recovers extremely fast, but does more damage, especially with big skill level. And Water Magic is the first to get to 12 points anyway.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

hovgaard
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby hovgaard » 25 Mar 2009, 09:41

1. Fireball
2. Fire Blast (if you stay close to the target, all blasts will hit it, and damage will be far larger, than taken from incinerate, and twicw cheaper!)
3. Meteor shower.

Fire is cheap, fire has versatile arsenal, fire has the best destruction spells untill you possess dragon breath at dark magic skill above 15-20.

Return to “Might and Magic”