Vision of MM X

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
thistimemymoneycouldbuuuy
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Vision of MM X

Unread postby thistimemymoneycouldbuuuy » 29 Aug 2007, 05:42

Tally hoo adventurers! Ok, so I decided to create an account here. I usually don't bother posting on boards but I felt maybe I can make some difference so this thread is for all fans out there who still believe in a MMX.
I recently came back to the Might and Magic series when I found out a new MM had been released and I got very nostalgic about the previous games 6-8. I was introduced to Might and Magic by my brother when he was playing MM6 and I remember I was rather amused by the facial expressions and sounds from the characters. They felt very alive and despite the graphics which wasn't too shabby back then I decided to give it a go.

Anyway, it wasn't until MM7 when I got really hooked on it and I spent a good amount of hours in Erathia. So it made me rather disappointed when I found out that Dark Messiah wasn't a RPG at all but a fps action game! I was curious to see what the fan base thought about it and the trace led me here and I've read most of the threads to share the view of a great game not many friends played or even heard of. Despite the critics I decided to see what Dark Messiah was like so I downloaded the demo and I must say this; the combat system rocks and it feels unique fighting with swords in a first person and I just love the different animations such as using the bow. But, that's pretty much it. The replay ability in sp mode is simply too poor and linear games are doomed to a short life, just like doom 3. Only with DM people aren't as fascinated over the graphics as when hl2 and doom3 came.

The combat system combined with the graphics in a medieval environment is what can draw people to the game. And I really hope it does, good publicity for the Might and Magic franchise will be important if ever releasing a MMX. As for myself, I'll just wait and hope Ubisoft is convinced to make another MM rpg. If they ever do, these are a few things I think they should include / exclude;

- Graphics will have to be improved ultimately from the previous MM games. I wouldn't mind having the same hl2 engine as in DM but a graphic similar to the first unreal tournament games would do just fine. What I think is important though and what discourage me from trying a random rpg/mmorpg(only played a few) is the uncanny valley(name?) issue, I just think creatures look rather scary and riddiculous when graphics are so close to what's real yet you can see there's something missing. Hard to explain. Google it up if nothing else, interesting stuff. Some like it, others don't. Yes, beauty is only skin deep but it's a factor everyone takes into count when consider playing a game. Some more than others.

- Interface should look about the same as earlier MM games with portraits horizontal just abit more sophisticated, the faces must have lots and lots of facial expressions. These are your babes so they should obviously play a central role. The minimap must be improved. And here comes the part I've been thinking of really hard and been excited about, is it possible to combine the interface of your arms/body like in Dark Messiah with the interface of the old MM games? And how would that work when all your party members are fighting? (turn based or not turn based?)

- Combat system should be the same as in DM but not as fast paced! More RPG than Diablo but the same amount action but only in first person!! Yes, you heard it here first! Or is there such game already? However, that would be great success I'm sure of, it would draw both people who enjoyed DM as well as old fans of the series. Movement speed and the lean view when strafing however should not be implemented from DM. Way too fast and it sometimes felt like I was joining the orcs down the cliffs in the demo.

- When entering an inn or any other building it should work just like MM6-8. This will make it more graphic friendly as well.
- Same voice actors as in MM7! they were brill
- Arcomage! Not an optional quest. And riddles!
- Lots of hard obtainable relics!
- Same monsters as in homm2-3.
- Funny conversations between creatures such as goblins I've been seeing in some DM videos.
- What I've understood Ubisoft kind of left the old MM world to its fate but I would very much want to return to Erathia once more.
- No dragons or vampires in your party! Whos idea was that wtf. For me vampires aren't medievel at all but more like frankenstein era. You may want to disagree but I think that was the worst thing with MM8. Also dragons are bad and something you slay and thus shouldn't be in your party, unless you play heroes ofcourse hehe. Thumbs up for minotaurs though.
- Trainers. I might sound like a masochist when I say this but I actually enjoyed walking around looking for a trainer I couldn't find. It gave the effect
of a world much bigger than it was.
- Finally, no blasters and no space invaders OK? I know they are a central part of the Might and Magic lore and something that belongs to MM for alot of fans but nothing destroyed my game experience more than that to be frank and I first thought it was a bad joke from 3do when I got that blaster.

However, 3do is no longer in charge and we can only hope Ubisoft one day decides to start on a MMX, until that day we should keep pushing for it and coming with suggestions, even if it's a small chance there even will be one and an even smaller they'll take notice of fans ideas. If nothing else, we keep our dreams alive. :)

accabear
Scout
Scout

Unread postby accabear » 29 Aug 2007, 12:05

Hmmm... I always preferred a MMX involving both Erathia and Enroth. Bigger world, more exploration. The dragons/vampires in a party was indeed quite ridiculous. More realism and perhaps cities which were actually like cities (Although I don't want that MM9 style of city). In fact I actually am making an experimental manual for MMX.

DaveO
Demon
Demon

Unread postby DaveO » 31 Aug 2007, 12:21

This is the age-old dilemma. Graphics or gameplay. I quite honestly believe that going with a very high level engine is just asking for trouble. 3DO tried that with Lithtech and the poor results are on display in MM9. The only way to truly ensure success is to use an engine that the Ubi developers have experience with. Making them learn a new engine will only add more time and money in development, which I don't believe Ubi could afford. Already most games cost millions to develop. Add in marketing, QA, and distribution cost and there's a HUGE risk that the cost would very likely give no return on investment.

Might and Magic has sometimes made changes to the races available. I did not mind the Vampires since they had some usefulness, and were BETTER than Clerics in my opinion. I would not mind a Dragon hybrid in the game, like the picture below.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb15 ... k-Dead.jpg
I'd rather be part bull than a complete sheep.

CoffeeGnome
Pixie
Pixie

party formation rules.

Unread postby CoffeeGnome » 03 Oct 2007, 08:19

Parties that do not permit certain others from entering. Like you would not be allowed to haveboth a paladin and a vampire in the same party as the two would not get along. Intelligent party formation would be a very good idea and realistic option for MMX. 8|
Also a system with both race-variable and race-dependant classses could be an interesting way to add a wide variety of new classes.

Bowerbank
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Bowerbank » 03 Oct 2007, 12:00

I would be happy with old school might and magic style bring in the graphics of might and magic 7/8 again maybe spice it up abit. just add loads more items, skills (copy warcraft slightly with there skills maybe like enchanting armor craft ect.) The idea of enroth and erathia put 2gether sounds cool too. i liked the way how you recruit people in might and magic 8 and how there are 5 of you maybe start with 2/3 fixed characters and allow others to be recruited.

loads of land to explore, loads of new dungeons and lots of new items make might and magic: basically i would relish the optiniuty to explore new content.

Return to “Might and Magic”